PDA

View Full Version : Easy Baffle Mod

EmplEh_DoG
04-07-2009, 02:30 PM
For this I was just walking down the alley and found a 1" steel pipe that looks like it was off of an outdoor swing or something. I was wanting to do something to the baffles in my bike to give it a little louder, deeper tone. Well I just went at it undoing the three little bolts that hold on the back cover of my muffler (no cutting and re welding the can thank gosh) and used a 4" hand grinder with a steel cutting blade to cut the welds that held the old baffles on and the new tube to size. Grabbed my drill and a random sized hard metal bit and drilled the tube plenty of holes. On the cover piece, I used an offset pair of tin snips to open the hole to the appropriate size to accept the new baffle tube tightly. I used snips again to slit the new tube on each end; one end eight slits to hold it to the cover, and the other end four cuts to fold in a little but leave a hole in the end for good air flow. I just folded every other end down on each side of the cover and it's holding fine temporarily. DANG does it sound better. Like from a loud scooter to an actual dirt bike. I don't know of any performance burst as I just did this last night and haven't had a chance to ride yet. I'll write to tell if there's any performance benefit to this, but for now I have to say that if you were wanting your bike to sound a little louder and throatier then this is something you'd want to try. Took me like 30 minutes, QUICK AND EASY. Here's the pics:

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=10552&g2_serialNumber=2 http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=10557&g2_serialNumber=2 http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=10562&g2_serialNumber=2

And I couldn't have done it without Daddy's BIG Helper

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=10567&g2_serialNumber=2

EmplEh_DoG
04-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Just a follow up. I took the bike out to the river today after work. Screamin Awesome. Man I gotta get some pics. Anyway, the little twirk to the muffler didn't seem to have too big of difference anywhere. When I go offroading I run it hard and there wasn't any noticeable loss or gain of power. Sure sounds a lot more bad ass though :twisted: . I still get the funny looks from the other Jap owners like "what the hell does that say? where'd you get that little thing?". Oh well, I can't hear em when they're trailing in the river bed. They can't hear me either when I'm yelling back "China BABY!!!".

:evil: :lol: MU-HA-HA-HA :lol: :evil:

AZ200cc
04-08-2009, 11:48 PM
It's all in how much it makes ya smile :D

KentuckyDonkey
04-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Why does everyone want their bikres to sound loud? Personally, I like a quiet bike. Loud bikes cause a lot of people to be hostile toward the ATV crowd...and ya can't blame 'em.

Please guys...think of your neighbors and other trail users.

Weldangrind
04-10-2009, 01:24 AM
Why does everyone want their bikres to sound loud? Personally, I like a quiet bike. Loud bikes cause a lot of people to be hostile toward the ATV crowd...and ya can't blame 'em.

Please guys...think of your neighbors and other trail users.

I don't think many of us are looking for a straight pipe, only a little more power and a throaty sound. I've found that most of these Chinese mufflers are very restrictive and poorly built. A little backyard muffler engineering can be very rewarding.

To each his (or her) own.

Ma77
04-10-2009, 04:56 PM
I have a tiny aluminium exhaust from some 125cc ktm on mine with no...well...anything in it...it looks good as the bike is stripped (no fairings on any thing unnessary on it) and sounds like a proper bike now... i understand what you mean about a noisy bike being annoying to others but on the roads i dont find the extra attention bad as people hear you and are less likley to walk or pull out in front of you and i dont off road anymore so its all good :P