PDA

View Full Version : first time rider had my lifan for 3yrs still has the jitters

dirtbikekid25
04-23-2009, 09:12 PM
im wondering if u guys can help. ive had this bike for a couple of years now and only probably have ridden it 4 times. i like the bike, i have my permit, but i still am nervous about riding it around on the roads. kind of a fear that i have to overcome i feel more comfortable riding in the woods., . Do u think the rider class will help? i know some of you guys have taken the riders course in different areas who are first time riders and was wondering about ur input thanks

jshellito
04-23-2009, 09:42 PM
You should take the MSF course. It will help greatly not to mention lower
your coverage.

SpudRider
04-23-2009, 09:46 PM
im wondering if u guys can help. ive had this bike for a couple of years now and only probably have ridden it 4 times. i like the bike, i have my permit, but i still am nervous about riding it around on the roads. kind of a fear that i have to overcome i feel more comfortable riding in the woods., . Do u think the rider class will help? i know some of you guys have taken the riders course in different areas who are first time riders and was wondering about ur input thanks
Absolutely, a motorcycle rider safety class will help you a lot! :) I teach rider safety for the Idaho STAR program. I can attest that our students gain valuable physical and mental skills that make them safer, more confident riders. I strongly encourage you to visit the following link and enroll in a rider safety course near your home. You will certainly be glad that you did. :)

http://www.msf-usa.org/

Spud :)

dsrt4
04-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Ditto on the MSF course.

It is well worth it!

katoranger
04-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Yes a course. You may find the street riding is not for you. The course is money well spent and in most states you get your full license after completion.

Allen

AZ200cc
04-24-2009, 12:19 AM
I am the same way, I have always ridden dirt and am nervous on main roads....So I am easing myself in with a ton of backroad travel and practice in large empty parking lots as far as quick stops and tight turns. The more comfortable You get with cars being around You the less worried You will be when You finally graduate Yourself from backroads to main roads. And the MSC is a great idea they will teach You things that will help You a LOT.

Cal25
04-24-2009, 09:11 AM
I work in Dallas and will not ride a bike here. Out in the country where I live is where I ride. Less traffic, dirt roads, and more scenery. Go with your comfort level. If its not fun, whats the point? The MSC would be a good thing too.

KentuckyDonkey
04-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Riding with cars and trucks is dangerous- so it's just common sense to be jittery. Someone turning in front of you or pulling out in front of you....might just be a fender-bender in a car, could easily kill or cripple you on a bike.

If you are going to try and get used to it, I hope that you "dress for the crash"- ALWAYS wear gloves, armored jacket and pants, boots and helmet when street riding. They wil literally save your hide in a minor crash.

A huge number of motorcycle crashes are single vehicle accidents, where the rider thinks her is going too fast to take a curve, and tries to brake IN the curve, and goes down. Usually turns out, he would have been able to make the curve if he hadn't tried to slow down. So watch your speed when entering curves....and just take the curve and don't brake in it!

Check out this guy's vids- he has some good info:
http://www.youtube.com/user/motorman857

But ultimately, if you're not comfortable riding on the strret, and it ain't fun for ya....stick with your instincts, because if you go against them, your fear will likely make youi dangerous and over-reactive.

katoranger
04-24-2009, 12:52 PM
I was very nervous when I started riding on the street. It does take some time to get use to other vehicles around you.

The msf-course sounds like it will benefit you alot. After that course you may decide that riding on the street is not for you, but you will learn alot of skills to make riding safer and more enjoyable.

Allen

KentuckyDonkey
04-24-2009, 01:12 PM
I rode my 4-wheeler on the street yesterday, to see how fast it would go. Even with no cars around, it was still a little hairy- and going 40MPH seemed like I was breaking the sound barrier! I prefer to have at least 4,000 lbs. of steel around me......

A dual-sport would be a nice way to test the waters though- like anything else, you probably get used to it before long, and then 40MPH would probably seem like childs play. (Until you get thrown up againsyt a telephone pole, anyway...)

I remember learning to drive, even- the first few times it seemed nerve-wracking when another car was behind me!

red85
04-24-2009, 02:50 PM
If you are uncomfortable around cars, definitely take a course. Another thing you may want to try is "easing into" riding on the road by riding in smaller centres that you are familiar with. It's kind of like Linus' blanket :) Get comfortable and you will be confident.
I can totally relate to 40 mph feeling extremely fast. I wound my bike up today to about 75 kph and it felt like the shuttle on reentry LOL. Exhilirating but a little scary. This little bike is the first one I've ever owned and I have worked hard to get myself in the comfort zone. What I have done is to ride the most technical trails I could find. I ride them and re ride them till I am cofortable enough to leave my feet on the pegs.

KentuckyDonkey
04-24-2009, 03:09 PM
what scares me, is that I would get comfortable with 40MPH probably after a day or two of riding on the street, just as I did off-road...then I'd get used to 45...and 50...ad infinitum. Before ya know it, I'd be wanting a Ninja 650 or something.......

dirtbikekid25
04-24-2009, 03:21 PM
i think, in the summer im going to take the msf course and just stay off the roads for now thanks for the input guys.

katoranger
04-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Get signed up now for the course. Alot of times they have a backlog that is a couple months out.

Allen

BillR
04-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Never, ever get "comfortable".

what scares me, is that I would get comfortable with 40MPH probably after a day or two of riding on the street, just as I did off-road...then I'd get used to 45...and 50...ad infinitum. Before ya know it, I'd be wanting a Ninja 650 or something.......
Key word here: "SCARED"
Been there, done that and don't want another crotch rocket :P
Honda turbo, winding it out, on boost, hit third, car pulls out in front of me.
Roll off the throttle.............NO BODY TOLD ME THIS THING HAS A SLIPPER CLUTCH 8O :!: :!:
It didn't even begin to slow down. It actually felt like it sped up.
Luckily I had time to get on the brakes as I should have to begin with.

Riding the 200 enduro and thoroughly loving it.
You'll do fine with what you have planned.
Bill

KentuckyDonkey
04-24-2009, 08:28 PM
I think it's very advantageous to have some close calls sometimes (ther kind where you escape unscathed)- as it brings one back down to the reality of the dangers lurking on the streets and makes one realize their own mortality, and sorta keeps the gung-ho in check!

I almost flipped my 4 wheeler on Tuesday.....so now I'm keeping the speed down a little. (I wasn't riding crazy or anything...was just too comfortable.)

AZ200cc
04-25-2009, 12:48 AM
I have ridden rockets, They haul ass but also slow down well. The brakes are awesome....I would never ride a large cruiser...They have piss poor brakes and handle like garbage. At least on these Dual sports You have light bikes with enough brake to save You in most cases...Plus You can toss em around real easy and get around a problem. Power is not always the enemy...Sometime it can be Your best friend in a bad situation.