PDA

View Full Version : Why cagers run over bikes.

warrior91
04-30-2009, 12:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xW-VAvQvSk&feature=player_embedded

It isn't because they are blind or preocupied or generally lacking IQ points...just human.

Generally a good driver recognizes the illusion and reactes accordingly.

SpudRider
05-02-2009, 06:14 AM
Thank you for providing this excellent, thought-provoking link, Warrior. It is a great reminder for all of us to be careful out there! ;)

Spud :)

liverchip
05-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Wow Warrior, that's a great link!

AZ200cc
05-02-2009, 08:58 PM
I can see how that is, But in my area it's the 70 and over crowd that smash at least two bikes a year. They are also at fault for the main percentage of crashes in my town. We are the summer spot for all of the retirees and in that summer the police reports 90% of the time "say Stephen Steven Stavenssorensagowski age 73 pulled out and struck a vehicle on such and such a road he was cited for failure to yield." ANd so on and so on, I have gotten to the point that if I see a silverback looking to pull out I drop my speed by half :roll:

Sorry to any old fellers here :D but there comes a point in life that everyone should stop driving but the politicians refuse to take action and pizz people off :? .

SpudRider
05-02-2009, 11:56 PM
...I have gotten to the point that if I see a silverback looking to pull out I drop my speed by half :roll:...
Silverback?!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

AZ200cc
05-03-2009, 01:33 AM
You will now use that term for the rest of Your life :lol:
At least until You're a silverback 8O

KentuckyDonkey
05-07-2009, 11:57 AM
I can see how that is, But in my area it's the 70 and over crowd that smash at least two bikes a year. They are also at fault for the main percentage of crashes in my town. We are the summer spot for all of the retirees and in that summer the police reports 90% of the time "say Stephen Steven Stavenssorensagowski age 73 pulled out and struck a vehicle on such and such a road he was cited for failure to yield." ANd so on and so on, I have gotten to the point that if I see a silverback looking to pull out I drop my speed by half :roll:

Sorry to any old fellers here :D but there comes a point in life that everyone should stop driving but the politicians refuse to take action and pizz people off :? .

Heh...that's going to be true in any place with a large percentage of older drivers, only because they are over-represented- just as the under-25 crowd would account for the majority of smooshes in Virginia Beach.....(or is it Myrtle Beach? The place where they all go for spring break...)

My aunt in CA. is 96 and still drives. Hasn't had an accident in my lifetime (47 years). On the other hand, my mother once had this neighbor who was barely 60- and she was a MENACE! She was in her own world when she drove....

AZ200cc
05-08-2009, 02:35 AM
I actually talked this over with an older gent this afternoon, He was 70 if i remember right. He said flat out there were days when he should not have driven...He stopped the car and let his wife takeover. He knew when to call it good at the time. Young drivers can be just as bad, Pulling out quickly and trying to impress the doe eyed young lady they are givng a ride to.....But also some riders do the wrong thing also....I may have taken it out on the older folks before but they really do make our live a livnig heck for a few months outa the year :lol:

SpudRider
05-08-2009, 03:00 AM
....I may have taken it out on the older folks before but they really do make our live a livnig heck for a few months outa the year :lol:
Yes, they can pull out in front of you suddenly, those "silverbacks in the mist." ;)

katoranger
05-08-2009, 09:08 AM
I warned my brother when he moved to Florida.

Allen

BillR
05-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Yes, they can pull out in front of you suddenly, those "silverbacks in the mist." ;)

Round here, it's "Blue hairs in Buicks". :lol:

There's a couple of ladies I see frequently that can barely see over the steering wheel.

Bill in Nashville

AZ200cc
05-09-2009, 12:43 PM
AAAAH yes the blue hairs, They sit so close to the wheel that if the airbag goes off it will become part of them. 8O We also get what I cal the khaki brigade in the summer....A lot of yuppies from PHX and California who expect to be catered to hand and foot and feel that they own the road. They'll pull out in front of anyone in that Range Rover :x

liverchip
05-09-2009, 07:52 PM
LOL 'Silverback'!

SpudRider
05-09-2009, 09:43 PM

Round here, it's "Blue hairs in Buicks". :lol:

There's a couple of ladies I see frequently that can barely see over the steering wheel.

Bill in Nashville
Here is one of my favorite video clips featuring a "blue hair" on the freeway; she doesn't appear until the very end. ;)

http://www.405themovie.com/view.asp

lego1970
05-29-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm a OTR Truck driver / Tree trimmer that has somewhere over a 1,000,000 miles under my belt. Even though I'm supposed to be the professional while driving a semi, there have been many times when a 4-wheeler (any car or truck that has four wheels) has saved my butt from getting into an accident, and likewise I've saved many of butts when they are at fault. Likewise with motorcycle riding, there have probably been more times when I've saved myself from getting injured or killed, however there have been several occasions when cars have saved me. I ain't gonna say nothin when it comes to the elderly, cause I've been to Orlando and Phoenix one to many times, and those old folks need a lotta help 8O . Anyway, sadly some semi drivers give the other drivers a bad name by tailgating and useing thier size in a manner that is unsafe for other motorist, but I like to believe most mean well, even when they are in the wrong. I think or at least hope the same is true for car versus motorcycle, in that it's by mistake.