PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Getting Bike into Canada and on the Road! Please:)

Bloosh
05-15-2009, 02:37 AM
I bought a new Zongshen Sierra (direct from Zongshen USA warehouse in Florida), while visiting my sister in Missouri. The bike is being shipped here, and should arrive on the 18th (still in the crate). Great.

Problem is I didn't check www.riv.ca to see if it is good for import to Canada, and of course it isn't.

I have read that I can apply stickers that say it is for offroad use only, and get it across (as a restricted use motorcycle).

I have also read that one cannot convert dirtbikes for road use in Ontario, so I am afraid it will stay a restricted use bike if I do this.

(although it seems that theENIGMATIC did?)

I am very lost, I have been reading for hours about this topic all over the net and am about ready to give up. If someone could please point out the correct way to go about this (again), I would be very greatful. Thanks. :)

suprf1y
05-15-2009, 10:26 AM
The correct way?
Read the rules before you buy a bike in the States :lol:

I don't think you will be able to do it legitimately. It may be possible to register it as a 'homemade' bike, but I am not 100% on the rules. Keep in mind that an understanding ministry employee can go a long way.
The ladies in my local office are quite helpful.

Kawazacky
05-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Try going through New Brunswick's DMV.

I got my Lifan registered, no questions asked, no inspection, here.

But, if you import it "Off-road only," you MAY be screwed no matter what. I'd try it in N.B. though.

Bloosh
05-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the info. SO far my plan is:

1. Build bike.

2. Do not install any parts which make it look like a road bike.

3. Apply off road use only stickers.

4. Get it into Canada as Restricted Use Motorcycle.

5. Install road parts.

6. Get it saftied.

7. Bring to licence center with all paper work, and hope for the best.

suprf1y
05-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Not sure you're going to have any luck with that strategy.

Reveeen
06-30-2009, 09:57 AM
one cannot convert dirtbikes for road use in Ontario

There is such a thing, in Ontario, called a permit (plate and ownership) for secondary road use only (meaning no 100 series highway use).

See if that classification is useful to you.