PDA

View Full Version : Tomberlin/Sachs Madass

bdavison
05-23-2009, 09:27 AM
I figured I post this video, its of my other bike. A Tomberlin/Sachs Madass. I ripped the 50cc head of and put a 70cc kit on it.
Top end is 48mph. With a better rear sprocket(which Im having trouble finding) Im betting it could easily get up into the mid 50's

Its a super fun little bike with some sweet style if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5BIl8xHrhg

AZ200cc
05-23-2009, 12:11 PM
That's a cool little machine, I like it.

bdavison
05-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Sachs is of course a german company...or at least it was. But the bikes are actually manufacturered in china. This is not your typical chinese bike. The quality is better than some of the jap bikes for sure. Its a ROCK solid machine.

There are two versions of this thing. The actual Sachs one, and there is another cheaper copy of it out there. They make it in a 50cc, 125cc and even a prototype 500cc one.

It comes with a rev limiter on it that restricts it to 35mph no matter what you do to the motor, including the big bore kits...so you have to get rid of the rev limiter before you do anything to it. Its just a simple plug and play deal. Unplug the box and toss it in the garbage because its worthless.

I dont have a tach on it so I dont know what its turning on the top end, but its ripping pretty good. I do know to keep it under 48mph or you will hear it getting a little tappy on the valves. Ive run it at 45mph all day with no problems. Its got about 1600 miles on it since I did the upgrades, all of which minus the rev limiter. Its still running strong.

The thing has the most incredible brakes Ive ever seen on a bike. SUPER brakes. If you grab two much front, it will launch you over the handlebars...literally, so I can totally see it being a good stunter if you're into that kind of thing. And since its built like a tank, it could take the abuse very well.

The only thing I dont like about it is the turnsignals. Ive accidentally kicked off both of the rear ones with my foot getting on the bike. Also there is no fuel guage, but there is a reserve...so gotta keep an eye on the tank. The fuel tank is in the frame by the way.

As far as working on the bike....its super easy since its completely naked. everything is easy to get to.

Ma77
06-13-2009, 01:52 PM
I had a sachs madass as my first bike, was a 50cc for about a week then i bodged a honda c90 piston, barrel and head on (should have done a proper bore kit) which stayed on for about a month untill i fitted a 125cc engine from a pit bike. top speed i ever had was 58mph with the 125

i loved that bike so much, it was so chuckable and like you said it would lift either wheel so easily which made it great fun.

OOracing sell many parts for it but it is a uk company (dont know where you are)

I think the best thing is chuck the origional tyres they are pretty hard wearing so dont grip all that well... if you splash out on some amazing tyres then you wont need to worry so much about your speed it will just be planted round corners, and knee down looks real impressive on these things

have fun and ride safe 8)

SpudRider
06-15-2009, 11:52 PM
That little bike certainly looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing the video. :)

Spud :)