PDA

View Full Version : The Case for Working With Your Hands

SpeedSouth
05-27-2009, 09:39 PM
I found a link to this on another forum and thought many of you would also enjoy the read...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24labor-t.html?_r=4&em=&pagewanted=all

AZ200cc
05-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Says you have to register, Can You copy and paste it?

suprf1y
05-28-2009, 08:53 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24labor-t.html?_r=1&hp

katoranger
05-28-2009, 10:20 AM
I didn't read the whole article, but it is very true. I have a white collar job, but I like to come and work at home on my "projects". People come to me to get there stuff fixed or ask where to go with.

Its funny how people now don't even know that you can buy replacement bolts from the hardware store.

Speaking for the case of the 18 year being pushed into college. My neighbor graduated last year. He took a few welding classes at a tech school that was paid for by his employer and is now perfectly happy as a welder. Someone needs to make those culvents for our roads.

I see too many "smart" people who can't even identify a screwdriver.

Allen

AZ200cc
05-28-2009, 11:54 AM
I can see that, America has become the nation of the helpless. A lot of People won't do anything for themselves, They feel it is either beneath themor have no clue how to do basic things. I can't tell You how many gown men I have seen who cannot even figure out how to change wiper brlades or even check the oil in a car. How it is now people don't even need to cook foe themselves or do laundry, They pay to have these things done for them. But what happens when money no longer matters? It almost got to that point. I am making sure my daughter can turn a wrench or swing a hammer, Not because that will be a way for her to get a job but just in case she needs to.

katoranger
05-28-2009, 01:30 PM
I don't have much problem going through trash piles. They make me money. Didn't learn that in school. Really I don't feel like I learn alot in school. I learned it from doing or from helping others.

Allen

AZ200cc
05-28-2009, 01:54 PM
One mans trash, we all know that saying. My favorite word is FREE :D
I know I can make money on something that way. I agree Kato if more people were willing to get dirty and make something old and ugly into something nice and shiny this it would help a lot. Not only in a way of recycling but because people would save a lot of money keeping something going rather than always buying new.

TurboT
05-28-2009, 04:20 PM
I have to agree with all of you that hand skills are very imporant in this world. I'm okay with some things, others I pull back from! Plumbing and electrical for one!

..have you consider though, that if everyone fixed up their old ugly stuff, fixed their own cars, plumbing, bikes etc that the economy would take a huge dump? Many people make their livings fixing things other's can't, or making new things for people who can't fix their old. I agree, our planet would be in much better shape with less waster, however the people who rely on their incomes from the ineptitude of others would be doing what?

It's a very interesting debate I think!

AZ200cc
05-28-2009, 06:05 PM
They would need to buy the items to make the old uglything nice, Or keep it going....Jobs there :D Also it would make people like mechanics drop some prices, 85 to 90 dollars an hour is nuts but they know they can get it because people can't or won't do it themselves. There will always be the helpless so not many people will be hurt of more try to do it themselves.

TeamCheap
05-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Most people nowadays seem to be lazy.

you see it all the time in the forums.
Someone will post their first post in the form of a question and then get ticked off if they dont get a fast reply.

To many people living in an instant oatmeal world.

I myself HATE to ask for help and will struggle with things for a very long time before giving into having to ask for help.
(stupid but thats the way I am for the most part)

Right now at work me and a new guy (a good hard worker) and sometimes an operator are doing restoration which is simply replacing topsoil then grass seeding and now we are doing the concrete work which I feel is a valuable skill.

We are getting paid to learn and perfect our concrete skills....yeah its hard work but there is a lot of satisfaction in making things look right again.

On the house we bought (we hope) there will tons of work that needs to be done from simple cleanup, painting, window and door replacement to plumbing the whole house and my wife and I will do most every bit of it.
The electrical panel will be done by a master electrician though. :wink: but I have no problem with running a new circuit myself I just wont touch the big stuff.

AZ200cc
05-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Instant otmeal world :lol: I like that

Yes there are things that people should not tackle, AT ALL!
But most people won't even clean a carpet or a window they pay others.
It's sad and actually kinda pathetic :roll:

SpeedSouth
05-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Says you have to register, Can You copy and paste it?

I'm not sure what the deal is with that, but I'm sorry it didn't work. I didn't register or do anything special, just copied the link as I nornally would. It seems the other link is working for you guys though. I appreciate you posting the extra link, suprf1y.

I don't think there's any danger to the economy in having people put a little effort into learning 'hands-on' skills. I think the money saved in one area will simply be spent in another. Few people will try to master every skill. Myself, I try to avoid plumbing whenever possible.

Consider the auto industry; people aren't buying new cars, but they are spending some of that money repairing their older cars. The money isn't going to the dealerships, but it does go to the repair shops. The money will still be spent.

The 'instant oatmeal' thing is actually ironic. Going back to the article for the examples...the guy didn't get instant satisfaction writing those little reviews. He knew it only mattered how they were written, and not what was written. But when repairing a motorcycle, still using his example, getting that starter motor fixed was almost an instant grin. One satisfies almost instantly, while the other only satisfied the need for a paycheck, and the need to adhere to his quota.

I do think it's a big mistake to try and push everyone down the same path of education. Clearly, it isn't for eveyone and it's not always needed or even very helpful in terms of earning a living. I do think there are social skills that can be more easily learned in that environment and I think it's too easy to focus only on what is learned in the classrooms.

Myself, I dropped out of highschool. I spent a year in a 'tech' school and gave the local college a try about 10 years ago. I start out well in the classrooms, but get bored with it fast. I get the most satisfaction when I manage to teach myself how to do something. Failure is an option. It's also an opportunity.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the article. :)

katoranger
05-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Well I find alot of people who could pass all the tests and do things in theory, but never actually put the skills to use. The hands on part is where there get lost. If it doesn't work like the book says it should then they don't know what to do next.

I did terribly in school. Lost interest quick until it became hands on. Then I could learn.

Not everyone needs to know how to fix there own car. We need people to run the businesses and doctors to take care of us.

Just that not everyone needs to go to college or tech school either.

My brother has a PHd. He has no interest in mechanical things. Rather bring it to a shop. That is fine. He makes plenty of money to do so.

I get plenty of free/cheap things because someone put it to the curb and bought new.

I have a problem with people who have gone to school and think they know everything just because the got a degree. They look at the guy who comes to fix there toilet as lower than them because he didn't go to college. That he is not as smart as they are.

I think of it as that guy is doing something that they can't/don't want to do. He is making money and more than likely happy with what he does.

Anyway. I don't pretend to be a plumber either. If I touch it will leak.

Allen

Qingdao
05-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Its funny how America WAS a country of self suficiant people.

I wouldn't say school is useless; I see chemistry in every step I take and I ain't done with my masters yet.

People just need to apply themselves to school and "extracuriculars" like how to take care of themselves.