PDA

View Full Version : gy6 150 scooter no power at CDI or Coil, Ok what the...

hensim
06-01-2009, 07:04 PM
On all the pins of the CDI there are just millivolts at best, and coil has no voltage even when cranking engine. The lights and guages and horn and clock and starter work. No spark was the original symptom.

I don't see this symptom in the manuals I've looked at so far. Most just say simple stuff like raise kickstand and engauge brake (safety interlocks)
All the simple stuff has been checked and the wiring is all hooked up, checked and cleaned all contacts, been all over in the front and engine compartment.

I purchased this scoot this way cheap with 65 miles on it. Original guy gave up on trying to fix it and it was missing a bunch of parts he lost.
I bought parts (cdi, ignition/locks/keyset, carb w/elec choke, intake manifold, air fliter and still can't fix.)

All I haven't replaced at this point is the voltage regulator and magneto.

Where would you put your money next?

Thanks very much for any hints.

phil
06-01-2009, 08:30 PM
i would put my money on tests, did you have the voltmeter set on ac volts

knothead
06-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Pickup or exciter coil would be my guess. The exciter coil should send 90~120 volts to the coil when cranking, so.... You can test them with an ohm meter, I can't remember what the usual values are... something like 120 ohms for the pickup.

CDI units rarely fail unless the voltage regulator goes out and passes too much juice to it.

Your scoot may or may not have an exciter coil, but it will have a pickup coil.
If the PO had it apart, make sure that the polarity is correct on your ignition stuff, that can give some funky results.

phil
06-01-2009, 08:43 PM
somewhere on here i posted some tests for this stuff i think jim may have it in the gallery but im not sure i would guess he can point you to them or forchetto will step in he knows the values and checks for everything even how to reset your vcr :lol:

hensim
06-01-2009, 10:46 PM
thanks guys

I tested for voltage with an automatic switching digital meter. It has two settings volts and ohms, that's all. Reads both ac and dc on the same volts setting depending on what it detects at the time.

Pickup coil meaning part of the magneto right? I don't have a flywheel puller, you guys got a trick?

One manual said the spark circuitry only involves the magneto, cdi, and coil and nothing more is that correct? Battery and voltage regulator are not involved if that's correct so spark is only generated by the voltage coming directly off the magneto? I guess that would explain why they can run with a dead battery.

katoranger
06-01-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm putting my money on knothead suggestion. Sounds like you made sure all the other parts are good. I don't think you getting power from the exciter coil.

This is where Forchetto needs to step in and let us all know how to fix it. :wink:

Also a digital meter is your friend. The $20 ones are just fine.

Allen

hensim
06-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Pickup or exciter coil would be my guess. The exciter coil should send 90~120 volts to the coil when cranking, so.... You can test them with an ohm meter, I can't remember what the usual values are... something like 120 ohms for the pickup.

CDI units rarely fail unless the voltage regulator goes out and passes too much juice to it.

Your scoot may or may not have an exciter coil, but it will have a pickup coil.
If the PO had it apart, make sure that the polarity is correct on your ignition stuff, that can give some funky results.

Well and this is a brand new CDI I just bought off ebay, so it's odds of also being bad like the other one would be?

I will check the polarity of the 2 individual wires coming from the magneto.. All the other connectors as far as I can tell just keyed ones and even still I still made sure the colors lined up.

Checking more with the meter will have to wait until the sun is out tomorrow, it's too dark to see any wire colors right now.

I really appreciate the help. I got this scoot for $120 and for a 2007 with 65 miles in new shape aside from not running, that aint bad even if I have already spent more than that in parts too and still not got her running. Right? Starting to wonder if I made a mistake...

If I need any part of the magneto I'll have to buy the whole thing right? $40 shipped is that the best deal out there? Plus I'll have to buy a mag puller... Don't know where to find a deal on that.

This cheap scoot is getting expensive.

Weldangrind
06-02-2009, 02:20 AM
I picked up a flywheel puller on eBaY for $10.00

I had a similar problem with our GY6 powered quad, and I tore it all apart looking for the answer. It turned out to be the kill switch (there are two). The kill switch on the left handlebar is taken from a streetbike signal light switch. You can kill the engine by sliding the switch left or right, but you must then reset the switch by pushing it in again.

Not likely your problem, but maybe food for thought.

mblas3
06-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Just a question, how many wires are hooked to the voltage regulator?

M

Cal25
06-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Just to muddy up the waters a bit, I think you got a great deal. Sounds like your getting close to getting it going.

Like was stated before, it could be a kill switch or safety lock out. I think if you unplug one of the wires on the CDI, you can defeet all the kill circuits to rule those out. Perhaps someone will point out the proper wire.

mblas3
06-02-2009, 09:37 AM
If it is a 4+2 CDI, then on the 2 position plug disconnecting the Black wire with white strip wire will by-pass the system kill.

M

katoranger
06-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Sounds like you got a good deal. Flywheel pullers are not that expensive.

I think I would try disconnecting the kill wire as suggested just to rule that out and then look at the exciter coil.

Where is forchetto? He probably has the whole diagram memorized. :lol:

forchetto
06-02-2009, 02:57 PM
I don't know the GY6 engine with any intimacy. However if you have the workshop manual, chapter 15 is very informative on all aspects of testing and fault-finding, with clear ilustrations.

Download here (right hand column, about 3/4 of the way down, titled: GY6 Manual (huge):

http://www.oregonvintage.com/Scooter.html