PDA

View Full Version : Another useless project of mine - homemade wheel chock

TeamCheap
06-16-2009, 09:45 PM
So here is a pictue of our trailer.
The problem is its nearly impossible to get both bikes out around the quads with the wheel chock bolted to the floor.
Its not any easier if the rear quad is removed either.(I've done it)

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/TeamCheap/DSCF0001-9.jpg
yeah YEAH I know we could just unload the whole trailer to get them out but WHY when its very easy to roll them past if only there wasnt a wheel chock bolted to the floor.

So I started with this at 6:30 tonight.........
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/TeamCheap/DSCF0002-9.jpg
............ and got it to this point at 9:00.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/TeamCheap/DSCF0007-6.jpg

Cost was just about $25 and it folds down to a low height of 1-1/4".
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/TeamCheap/DSCF0009-4.jpg

I dont know if it will be strong enough but I'll give it a try.

I still have to drill the four hold down bolt holes and tack weld the bolts on so I can climb under the trailer and attach it easily.
A bit more grinding to round some corners down and a coat of paint should finish it.

I'll use the same holes as the other wheel chock so I dont end up with a swiss cheese trailer floor.

This concludes another boring TeamCheap project.

AZ200cc
06-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Looks like it should work, But I don't see how this is getting the CT done :lol:

TeamCheap
06-16-2009, 10:36 PM
The CT & S90 will wait until I'm in the new house :cry: .
We should be closing very soon and after that I wont have any time to do much of anything but work on the house.

The trailer will be converted to a work/tool/supply trailer for a couple of months and I'll just leave the fold down wheel chock in there for future use. :wink:

Weldangrind
06-16-2009, 11:28 PM
You're the king.

maf119l
06-17-2009, 12:19 AM
How about welding the chock to a frame that would snap into the E-Traxx strip you got on the floor.That way it can easily be removed when you need a flat floor and replaced in just a few seconds.

Qingdao
06-17-2009, 12:31 AM
Angle iron is the best! Sooooo many uses. :D

TeamCheap
06-17-2009, 05:50 AM
How about welding the chock to a frame that would snap into the E-Traxx strip you got on the floor.That way it can easily be removed when you need a flat floor and replaced in just a few seconds.Actually I had thought about doing just that but decided a fold down type would be a bit better since all I have to do on it is pull two pins and down it goes.

The main reason I'm doing this now is we pulled the bikes out of the trailer a while ago to go riding but now one is taking up valuble space in my tiny shed so I decided to make the TC wheel chock.(I needed to make it anyway)

If it doesnt rain like they say I'll get it painted and installed and be able to park both bikes back in the trailer for a little while but be able to get them in and out easy.

I'd rather have used tube but I dont have a bender (yet) to bend it the way I wanted.

This thing is dirt simple with only a little bit of welding needed on it at the point where the front vertical support meets the U-shaped diagonal piece.
Thats where I cut an inch of flat stock and welded it to beef up that pivot area and to offset the front vertical piece to go on the outside of the angle iron when folded down.
The diagonal piece is supposed to lay on the inside of the angle iron when folded down.
Like this.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/TeamCheap/foldeddown.jpg
In our haste last night we had the angle iron on the inside (yeah it really doesnt matter but I want it on the outside :roll: )

I dont even want to go into what I have to do to get it bolted down in the right spot.

katoranger
06-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Nice snowman mug. I have some of those.

I like the idea. I sold my large trailer the other day, but I still have the enclosed one. I may need to copy your idea for about 3 of those in it.

Allen

TeamCheap
06-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Those are some of my favorite coffee mugs we have. :)

That wheel chock design is free to any and all who want to make one. :lol:
It is very simple and there really is no welding needed.

I think it will work just fine and be strong enough.

We are just waiting for the closing date to be set, right now it is tentatively set for the 23rd but we are hoping it will be moved up a few days.
All I can think about is the hundreds of things I need to do to the new/old house.
I'd like to be able to start moving into it by my wifes birthday but I doubt that.(7/16)

FastDoc
06-18-2009, 01:03 PM
I like it. I'm always looking for uses for the metal from the Chinese shipping crate. Already used it to make a muffler bracket after the original one vaporized.

TeamCheap
06-18-2009, 03:59 PM
I couldnt use the steel that came with our bikes as it was just to thin for my liking, this steel is 3/16ths of an inch for the flat stock and 1/8th for the angle iron.

OK well the weather is nice today so I'm hoping to get it installed which means a lot of crawling under the trailer.

closing on the house is monday YAHHH. :D