PDA

View Full Version : A silly question for the experts, can I adapt a hub motor...

Jim
06-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Can I adapt a hub motor, to run a belt (or chain), to the rear wheel on a dual sport or similar frame? What I mean is a custom project of course, and where the hub powered motor would spin the wheel, stick on some sort of custom chain sprocket or belt hub/pulley, and then run that back to the rear wheel with another sprocket or hub/pulley? Would I severely bog the motor down doing this by putting on the larger rear wheel, or could I over come this with proper sized sprockets to adjust the ratios?

Why I am asking is, I was planning on building a custom electric bike project on some sort of dual sport / super moto frame... Maybe something similar to my old gy6. Looking at what is required and asking for advice from the experts, I can do the custom project though I may have a hard time fitting the batteries, unless I spend a fortune for the good lithium ones, but I would still be spending at least $1000 for a motor / controller. Add batteries, lithium ones, I hear depending on desired range will run me anywhere from $1200 - $3000, and there are of course many other costs to add in. I've found on craigslist though, an electric scooter, with a claimed top speed of 60km/h and range of 100km per charge (skeptical on this point), 1 year old with 420 km's on it. The owner is motivated to sell, it was listed at $1800 Canadian, but has been dropped to $1500 OBO, so if I could haggle a bit, it may be worth it to get that instead, and save some cash. From there, I have 2 options. Ride it as it is, or try and jerry-rig the parts into a dual sport chassis. I prefer option 2, and it also gives me a fun project, I just don't want to waste the money if it clearly won't work... Thanks.

katoranger
06-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Why not. I would use a comet belt drive to a jackshaft then use the chain from the jackshaft to the rear wheel.

The comet belt drive is a centrifugal clutch system commonly used on minibikes and go-garts. Works just like the scooters or snowmobiles.

Not sure its really needed with an electric motor, but it may allow you to run a smaller motor and still be able to get up to road speeds. Also may give you a low gear for crawling over rocks.

Allen

Jim
06-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Allen, thanks :)

I don't know a whole lot about electric motors, but I've been talking with some guys on an electric motorcycle forum, and the way it sounds they are thinking the range isn't going to be anywhere near what the guy selling the scooter is stating, and I also really shouldn't be spending the money, so I'm mulling it over in my head... I think it would be a fun project, but I may be better off waiting until I have the money, and maybe by then battery tech will have improved a bit or prices come down and I can get better range or speed.

Here's the scooter, in case anyone is wondering, he's willing to sell it to me for $1200 Canadian... http://abbotsford.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1231695130.html

It's some form of Chinese kit he says, he built himself, but won't give away any details on a brand name or website with more information...

mblas3
06-22-2009, 10:23 AM
You might try contacting this company for there kit information.

Scooter Kit (http://cnmtl.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008826452586/pdtl/Electric-scooter/1015697058/Electric-Scooter-Conversion-Kit.htm)

M

Cal25
06-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Here is one.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/06/05/soundspeed-scooters-now-offers-electric-vespa-in-kit-form

And some with parts:

http://soundspeedscooters.com/store/conversions/electric-vespa

katoranger
06-22-2009, 01:51 PM
I think you can put it together for alot less than you think.

Allen

Jim
06-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks guys, I'll have a look :)

Allen, can you elaborate? Do you mean, with using the scooter as a donor? The parts linked do add up quite quickly if getting the conversion kit. Getting more common parts for motorcycle conversions is another route... If I went all new stuff for the motorcycle, I would guesstimate around $4000... If I hack up the scooter for $1200, and get a deal on a rolling chassis (I hope around $600), I could probably be done around $2000 I think?

mblas3
06-22-2009, 03:24 PM
From the conversion kit it seem that the drive motor is built-in the rear wheel. You would have to adapt it to a spoke rim. I do not think the scooter would serve you for donor parts.

M

Jim
06-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Yes, they are a hub driven motor. I was just wondering why you couldn't for example, throw a belt over the hub instead of a tire?

mblas3
06-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Would it not be a more efficient setup to have direct drive instead of jackshaft. That would also take up space which you would need to use for batteries.

M

Jim
06-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah I was only considering this route because it would be cheaper. Anyways I test rode it, and in the stretch of road I had it would only get up to 40km/h not 60... So I'm going to pass.

katoranger
06-22-2009, 11:38 PM
You could use a direct drive. From what I understand DC motors have lots of torque. Just put a sprock on the motor shaft and run it to the rear.

Pretty easy conversion. Now for the conversion you would need a controller rated for whatever voltage you want to use. I would think 36-48 volts. Limited on battery selection.

Look at golf-car parts too.

Allen

Jim
06-23-2009, 01:50 AM
Yeah some of them, this one was too slow... I am going to keep an eye out. That direct drive to the rear is the most common method.