PDA

View Full Version : Iron Butt Ride! 150 Miles on my American Lifan CT70 clone:)

dsrt4
07-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Well I got up Fri and decided. "I want to ride the tar outta the the Lf110gy-3 today"

When it was all said and done I had put 149.5 miles on my bike.
It has a Lifan 140cc 4 speed on it and with a re-gear it will sit at a easy 55mph when needed.

I did alot of back roads with 45mph speed limits and no hwy's.
I have went over the bike with a fine tooth comb here and there and all the weird little quirks are gone. Except...........

It still eats up swingarm bushings left and right and I had to recently put better shocks on it mainly because one of them blew out.

The Bike needs better brakes in the front for sure to be able to shave off the speed so I will be looking at disc front brake set up for it.

It would be nice if the new LF110gy-3's disc front brake would be made available for us guys that have the poor front drum brake...

Next up will be better wheels and tires and more lighting.

katoranger
07-05-2009, 10:34 PM
All that power may be the problem. Would honda bushings be an upgrade? Allen

phil
07-06-2009, 06:39 PM
if you look at the pitster pro they offer a gy110 like ours with disc or disk (whatever is correct spelling) front brakes they also offfer a swingarm upgrade

Savage
09-27-2009, 10:07 AM
I'd really like to pick up one of these bikes for cheap. I think it would be a bike I'd keep around forever. Got any pics of it out and about?

dsrt4
09-27-2009, 12:12 PM
I will get some and post them up..

Weldangrind
09-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Honda bushings were a definite upgrade for my son's old pit bike. The Honda bushings had a thicker inside and outside tube, and the elastomeric ring was much more solid. A well-spent $16 for the pair.

Savage
10-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Where's the pics? I wanna see it!

dsrt4
10-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Sorry :oops: I havent had time to dig it out of the shed.

I have been working some nasty hours (13+) through the week and on Saturdays.

I promise I will get some pics here shortly.

SamM
10-07-2009, 03:42 AM
Can't wait to see the pics!

Savage
10-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Is there any reason why I shouldn't look to get a gy-3? what's the cons of them?

dsrt4
10-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Is there any reason why I shouldn't look to get a gy-3? what's the cons of them?

Cons?
Well the rear shocks suck if your over 180lbs.
I bought a set for $40 from a seller on ebay that really ride nice. I plan on draining the forks and putting a heavier oil into them to stiffen it up a bit.

The Blinkers kinda suck a bit on the Lifan gy3. The Rubber isolator tends to crack but again another seller had a real nice chrome plastic replacment set.

The stock 110cc is a work horse!! I loved it. Especially after i did a front and rear sprocket swap. It was about $40 for both and I re-used the stock chain. With the gear swap and no other mods it would sit at a comfortable 50mph. I put maybe 500 miles on it before I swapped out a 140cc Lifan.

The carb is kinda iffy on the 140cc but I am sorting it out. It needs a real Mikuni 26mm vm26 and it should sort it out but it rides just fine with this one for now. With the 140cc and the re gear its a runner. 60+ and scary as hell until you get used to it.

I can scrape the pegs and throw sparks if I get a little crazy with it.

Everything else on the bike has been great. Wiring is neat and tidy and its been really reliable.

I would pick up another if I had the extra cash right now! the 2007 and newer Lifans will have the better wiring and better rear wheel and sprocket combo.

Get one if you want it. Hooper sells some nice ones as well as trailbuddy.

culcune
10-07-2009, 10:44 PM
I particularly like the 125cc Pitster version due to the higher placement of the front fender which looks more like the original Honda version. I am not sure who argued against the higher placement of this model on an earlier thread due to getting mud splatter on you, which is a good argument, but asthetically I like the look. The price is competitive, too, considering it is a Pitster product. Perhaps this is what I will get instead of what Pitster I really want, the 250cc motard, due to the price... :wink:

dsrt4
10-08-2009, 06:32 AM
To each his own. I like the lower fender because it looks like the euro bikes. They had the low front fender.

That and it keeps the Shiat off of me! :)

Savage
11-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Where's the pics??