PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Line Filter and Air Filter for 200cc GIO Beast

cmspeed
07-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Any one have a recommendation on what to use? I changed the carb on mine to a Performance Mikuni Carburetor 250cc and 200cc GIO Beast Performance Exhaust. It still runs like crap. Tried card adjustments as indicated in some former forum posts. No change. Bogs down when you open it up. Still using the old air filter which I know can be a problem and maybe the small original fuel line filter is trouble.

Thanks

TurboT
07-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Hi,

How long have you owned the quad?

I do not have the 200cc, but have two mini ones. One 110 and one 50, both with the original carbs and filters, and they seem to run fine. They occasionally bog however I Have found they are quite sensitive to choke position, depending on the air quality and temperature. They seem to want less choke in the heat, which is opposite to what you'd expect.

Other than that, I would check your gas tank, to ensure it's breathing properly, perhaps opening the vent hole on the cap a bit more to ensure proper fuel flow.

There are other's here smarter than I and with experience with the 200 cc itselt who may offer better solutions. I feel like a broken record with the choke thing, but I know mine are VERY sensitive with this.

yozalo
07-25-2009, 11:47 PM
I had the same problem with bogging. It all depends on how you position your choke.

Weldangrind
07-26-2009, 12:58 AM
Any one have a recommendation on what to use? I changed the carb on mine to a Performance Mikuni Carburetor 250cc and 200cc GIO Beast Performance Exhaust. It still runs like crap. Tried card adjustments as indicated in some former forum posts. No change. Bogs down when you open it up. Still using the old air filter which I know can be a problem and maybe the small original fuel line filter is trouble.

Thanks

I just received the Mikuni carb for the 200 and hope to install it soon. From the photos and the feedback on the Beast performance exhaust so far, I'm not sure that it's much of an upgrade over the stocker. I have a 150 GY6 exhaust that I'm going to modify to fit the Beast, and I suspect that will free up some power and prevent a rich condition.

The fuel line size is fine, but the quality of the line and filter is poor. For your own safety, swap the fuel line and filter from something generic at the local motorcycle shop. I also installed a fuel shut-off valve. I'm glad I did, since the stock fuel filter came apart while we were trailering it. See http://www.chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7693

The stock air filter is definitely a loser. I use a Uni pod filter that has a 15 degree neck on it. You need to allow the foam to squish around the battery box, but that doesn't hurt anything. It will really wake up your quad.

Where do you have the air / fuel screw set? I would start by gently turning it in until it seats, and then backing it out 1.5 turns.

Cheers!

crhunter
08-07-2009, 01:48 AM
Hey Weldngrind I noticed TurboT changed his fuel line, shut off and fuel filter on his 110. I was thinking of doing the same, the fuel filter and lines look cheesy. What air filter would you recommend for the 110 (109 cc). I found the same thing with the idle screw turned it all the way in (lean) then back out about 2 turns (rich). Does the larger Mikuni carb have the manual choke as well? I ordered one not realizing choke lever on the hadlebars is not compatible with the Mikuni. Obviously you own a Beast, I'm thinking they will be going cheaper now with Lambo 250 cc ATV and Rebel 200cc T3 hitting the local market. I do find the Beast well...not pretty looking but you can't beat the auction prices $500 ish...

TurboT
08-07-2009, 03:45 AM
Hey Weldngrind I noticed TurboT changed his fuel line, shut off and fuel filter on his 110. I was thinking of doing the same, the fuel filter and lines look cheesy. What air filter would you recommend for the 110 (109 cc). I found the same thing with the idle screw turned it all the way in (lean) then back out about 2 turns (rich). Does the larger Mikuni carb have the manual choke as well? I ordered one not realizing choke lever on the hadlebars is not compatible with the Mikuni. Obviously you own a Beast, I'm thinking they will be going cheaper now with Lambo 250 cc ATV and Rebel 200cc T3 hitting the local market. I do find the Beast well...not pretty looking but you can't beat the auction prices $500 ish...

Hey chap I am running stock everything on my Mini Beast. I have no complaints with it, it runs like a top. With that in mind, my 7 year old does not need a hot machine as I only allow her to go 1/3 throttle with the speed govenor. I believe it tops out at about 22km/hr and it needs to spool up some in a straight line for that. (Clocked her with a Honda quad with speedo this past week) Even at that, she smashed into a fence post in Calgary by being a 7 year old not paying attention to where she was going. (No worries she is fine)

I do believe Yozalo changed his fuel line and fuel filter. Perhaps you had us confused.

I do believe a new air filter would be helpful for various reasons, however I'm not sure what I would use for it yet. It appears there may be some downtime with the quads for a few weeks so I may look into this myself.

crhunter
08-07-2009, 03:55 AM
Obviously I did get you confused. I was thinking why he changed those parts, meaning I can understand the fuel lines and filter but is there something wrong with the shut off? Anyway, seeing my 5 yr old on this 110 mini beast it's obviously too big and too small for me so he'll have to grow into it. Funny, my 3 three yr old seems more interested, hates not getting a ride around the yard. Glad to hear you little girl is ok. Hey any ideas where I can get inexpensive helmets for these guys? Craigslist is a joke, too much $$$ for used equip. and GIO's stuff is too big. I'll let you know how the Mikuni carb works out.

TurboT
08-07-2009, 04:09 AM
I would say the 50cc frame and body is not that much different in size. The tires on the mini beast are bigger so it's a bit taller but that's really it for the difference. Almost the same length too. The 50cc seems firmer shock wise, and makes less noise. My mini beast rattles like crazy, I think the reflectors wobble and smack into the tailpipes.

Yozalo had that stuff before his unit arrived ready to install.(I think) I know he had a 50cc before and I know mine does not have a fuel shut off installed but the 110cc does. I am not sure if he realized that before ordering the new parts, or if he just decided to do so anyway from either reading the forum or through previous experience. I'm sure when he reads this he will weigh in I feel strange speaking for him. :)

TurboT
08-07-2009, 04:16 AM
Hey any ideas where I can get inexpensive helmets for these guys? Craigslist is a joke, too much $$$ for used equip. and GIO's stuff is too big. I'll let you know how the Mikuni carb works out.

Hey my kids look like aliens with their helmets on as well. Little bodies with big noggins.

Gio's prices on helmets seem pretty good, but not sure about the internal dimensions. We purchased ours at Adventure West Motorsports in Langley, at least that's what I think they were called..and the only reason was because they had a pink one in there in youth size to match my daughters 50cc quad. I wouldn't say they were 'cheap' but weren't $400 helmets either.

Weldangrind
08-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm also not sure about Yozalo's setup, but my beast didn't come with a fuel valve. Yikes.

I use a Uni pod filter. Check out http://www.unifilter.com/online%20catalog/universal.html Scroll down to "Clamp-On Dual Layer Pod Filter Straight / Black Inner / Red Outer / Urethane Flange". Also scroll down to the next item that lists the 15 degree angle. You'll see that you can select from 1" to 4" ID, so there should be one that works with your carb.

These are the filters to buy if you're playing in the dirt. The red outer sleeve is coarse and the inner black pod is fine. Oil the inner black pod only (I use Maxima blue filter spray sparingly). They're usually about $20 from the local bike shop.

On helmets, there is another shop next to Adventure West, and they are the Konker importer. They often have helmets in the $45 to $50 range. That's what we use.

In response to your question, the Mikuni upgrade has a manual choke that will not likely connect to the cable. Doesn't bug me; never liked the cable. Once I finished the PDI process to my liking, I fell in love with our Beast. I'm expecting more love with the new exhaust and Mikuni. Stay tuned.

crhunter
08-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Hey just found this review on GIO re: 200cc Beast. Wonder what rear sprocket he switched to? 100-106 km/hr...

We have purchased 8 of these atv's. 6 are stock and 2 have all the upgrades and more. I found that the chain does stretch but also after adjusting a couple of times the bolts will no longer hold everything in place. we have changed the rear spocket on 2 of the atv which makes it go approx 100-106 kmh and in doing so some of the hills we could not climb we now go up with ease. In the video they show someone kneeling on the back to pop a wheely, I am 41yrs and 194 lbs and without popping the clutch just at idle I can do that. As far as the quality goes for the body I have seen them roll over or down a 30 foot hill and have bent the handle bars and a couple of them have cracked body parts the difference is you only pay 150 dollars for a complete kit but you damage anything on a name brand the price starts at probably 500. There are guys out there selling these items and they have no clue about them. what they can do or what the problems are. It's a good feeling when you can ride beside and keep up with a 450 yamaha. (10 thousand out of the box). We ride hard and they stand up to our abuse.

Weldangrind
08-07-2009, 03:07 PM
I saw that review as well. Let's say I'm "skeptical".

If you decrease the size of the rear sprocket, you'll increase top end speed and sacrifice climbing power. If you increase the rear sprocket size, the reverse is true. You can't have both.

TurboT
08-07-2009, 03:20 PM
It does sound a little dodgy to me too. I'm a fan of the Gio products but comparing a 200cc china quad to a Yamaha 450 just ruins the credibility factor a little.

I've had my YZ 250 almost three quarters throttle in fourth gear on a straight line, felt like I was flying, and my gps told me I maxed out at 78km/hr. If possible to do 106km/hr on a china quad, I'd say death wish.

suprf1y
08-07-2009, 04:31 PM
I clocked my sons Giobeast 200 at 80 km/hr, with the mikuni carb still not set up right, and breaking up in the upper RPM's. I can also wheelie it no problem from idle. 106 km/h, maybe, but I wouldn't want to do it :lol:

TurboT
08-10-2009, 03:00 AM
The stock air filter is definitely a loser. I use a Uni pod filter that has a 15 degree neck on it. You need to allow the foam to squish around the battery box, but that doesn't hurt anything. It will really wake up your quad.

Cheers!

W&G,

I posted elsewhere about the air filter as well, since I just pulled mine off and was shocked.

Do you order the unipods online or get them locally? Do you mind me asking about how much they are? I noticed you quote some cash, but thought that might be for the oil.

Thanks.

Weldangrind
08-10-2009, 02:35 PM
I paid $20 over the counter at Clearbrook Yamaha. Do the research first at http://www.unifilter.com/online%20catalog/universal.html and choose a dual layer filter. Take that part number in to a local bike shop, and they'll order it from Steen Hansen or Parts Canada.

You're in Abby often enough that you could order from Clearbrook.

Cheers!

TurboT
08-10-2009, 06:19 PM
I will measure the hole and find out what size I need. I do think I would need the angled one as that is what is on there. What I saw was frightening need to do this before the next ride. How long does it take them to bring them in on order?

Weldangrind
08-10-2009, 11:31 PM
It depends on the dealer. Some won't place the supplier order until they have sufficient customer orders to justify the shipping. Others (like Clearbrook Yamaha) order right away, IME.

TurboT
08-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Would the uni pod be better than a K&N?

I was in Lordco today they have one they could order which would fit a honda 50/70, which I believe this engine family is based on. The ID on the flange was 27mm.

Due to the torrential rain today didn't venture outside to remove it again to measure.

Weldangrind
08-11-2009, 12:47 AM
I'd take the Uni anyday for off-roading. The dual layer foam really does the trick.

I don't buy any specifically recommended cleaning agents for our filters. I use Castrol Super Clean, simply because it works, and because I always have some around.

TurboT
08-11-2009, 12:50 AM
I'd take the Uni anyday for off-roading. The dual layer foam really does the trick.

I don't buy any specifically recommended cleaning agents for our filters. I use Castrol Super Clean, simply because it works, and because I always have some around.

I will try to source a uni here then as well, as it just looked better from the pictures and what I saw of the K&N.

Careful with the Super Clean. I inhaled the mist once while cleaning in the old shop, gave myself a pretty good lung burn and had to get a puffer. Only time in my life I really did something bad to myself in there. Cleans like a hot damn but I wouldn't touch that stuff since.

Weldangrind
08-11-2009, 01:02 AM
I use it outdoors only. It stinks, but it really works.

TurboT
08-11-2009, 01:09 AM
I use it outdoors only. It stinks, but it really works.

No argument from me on either front. :)