PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the water out

Reveeen
07-30-2009, 07:16 AM
K+N makes a filter bag (or wrap) that you can buy to keep the water out of their cone type filters:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/wrap.aspx

Scroll down the page what you are looking for is the "dry charger".

I'm sure it will affect your performance, but it will keep the water out, and should be able to order at any motorcycle shop.

(I just became aware of this)

Weldangrind
07-30-2009, 10:36 AM
It'll only marginally affect performance. The real benefit to a Dry Charger is keeping mud off of the filter. After some really muddy riding, you can remove the Dry Charger, put it in your pocket, and keep riding. I presume that a nylon and a rubber band would accomplish the same goal.

My son was riding a pit bike in a poker run a few years back, and his air filter became completely clogged. It choked on a hill, fell on him and stalled. He then broke the front fender trying to get out from under the bike (he was not happy). The solution was to switch to a 45 degree intake that points the air filter to the side, out of the path of the rear tire. Problem solved.

katoranger
07-30-2009, 10:53 AM
I think this a good upgrade from those knock off K&N filters found on the pit bikes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310137619967&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I got one. The quality is good. The more sizes and styles.

Weldangrind
07-30-2009, 06:59 PM
That looks just like the Uni pod filters I buy for our quads. I usually pay $20 over the counter for them at the local bike shop. I trust Uni; I think they make an excellent product.

The next thing to consider is what kind of oil you'll use with it. I use Maxima filter oil. It's an aerosol that sprays on blue and sticks like cobwebs. Good stuff.

Cal25
07-31-2009, 11:10 AM
I am hooked on the aerosol filter oils now. Like you say, spray it on its sticky. Has to work so much better than the old way of coating in 2 stroke oil and squeazing out.

Weldangrind
07-31-2009, 11:21 AM
The one thing I learned the hard way is to not spray too much. It's easy to seal off your air filter, and it turns out that internal combustion engines need oxygen for the combustion part. :)