PDA

View Full Version : Whydo Ihave to pay shipping again from GIO for damaged parts

crhunter
08-05-2009, 04:28 AM
Just bought a 110 mini beast from GIO in Vancouver, BC taillight broken when i opened the box. Spoke to John at GIO and I have spend another $10 US to ship me a new one. Is this fair? Common practice? Bye the way first post...

Thanks

TurboT
08-05-2009, 05:28 AM
Hi crhunter, welcome to the forums.

This is common. The part is warrantied but the shipping is not. It is in all his language and policies on his site.

While sometimes hard to swallow as the customer, I believe it is there to ensure that you are in definite need of the replacement part and not just looking for free handouts.

You can imagine there are some not that trustworthy that could call up and want him to send them free everything and it will kill him in shipping and parts costs.

If you had to drive to a store to pick up a replacement, more than likely you'd spend ten dollars in gas and time, or close to it.

Be careful with the brake light, it's in a bad spot and I broke mine too lifting it into my truck.

dsrt4
08-05-2009, 08:26 AM
I wouldnt pay the shipping.

In Fact......You will be lucky to get anything out of these guys.
Save yourself the headache and just buy a new one elsewhere.

crhunter
08-05-2009, 11:10 AM
I understand their policy TurboT it's just the principle of the matter. I mean it was right out the box. Anyway it's just annoying...I was missing some hardware too but not a big deal. Any suggestions on tech stuff for the Mini beast 110? I installed the exhaust last night, that was fun? I also have this thing that looks like a crash bar or luggage rack different than the front grill. Looks like it's from the Hummer??? I'll try and post a pic in the tech forum later. Thanks for the feedback.

Weldangrind
08-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Welcome to the forum!

To paraphrase a fine forum member, you need a good mechanical aptitude and a sense of humour to own a CB. You seem to have both.

I've purchased three machines from Gio (nothing compared to some of the resellers), and John has always been more than fair with me. As stated, the handling fee is standard practice, and John has charged me such a fee for warranty parts replacement.

On occasion, John will throw in extra items to help out. On one occasion when I needed a stator, he threw in some ignition parts to help me troubleshoot. His policy is what it is, I treat him with manners and respect and he treats me fairly.

You're definitely on your own with a CB. We can't expect to put gas in them and drive away like a big name machine, but we can work together to optimize what we have; hence this awesome forum. I'm very thankful for the members that take the time to share their experiences.

Reveeen
08-05-2009, 12:07 PM
What little I've had with shipping problems/short shipped I have ALWAYS been looked after in a more than fair fashion from GIO.

crhunter
08-05-2009, 01:08 PM
After spending some more time last night wrenching I came to the conclusion that you have to appreciate where these things are coming and the low $. I mean there was one bolt for the foot peg that was half out on an angle and of course cross threaded. I mean if you are working for poverty wages in a country with minimal manufacturing guidelines you can't expect quality control. Wonder if they use lead in the paint? ;-) See you in the tech forum...

Cheers

TurboT
08-05-2009, 02:52 PM
I understand their policy TurboT it's just the principle of the matter. I mean it was right out the box. Anyway it's just annoying...I was missing some hardware too but not a big deal. Any suggestions on tech stuff for the Mini beast 110? I installed the exhaust last night, that was fun? I also have this thing that looks like a crash bar or luggage rack different than the front grill. Looks like it's from the Hummer??? I'll try and post a pic in the tech forum later. Thanks for the feedback.

HeyI think the piece you are meaning goes under the back axl, almost like a back grill to protect the sprocket and brake rotor. It confused me for a while too, since you don't see it in too many of the pictures on the site.

..and yes, the exhaust is a good time to snake through the frame and shock, and mount to the slot which of course doesn't line up. :) ..but it goes in there eventually, and might leak a little at first.

crhunter
08-05-2009, 08:44 PM
You were right TurboT that piece is the chain guard. Made sense when I actually bent down and looked... Anyway, just turned it over today for the first time and yes seems to be exhaust leaking at engine connection or it could be some packing/machine oil burning off. Seems to want to take off when I start it, good thing I had the brake set :wink: I'm going to adjust the throtle cable and see what happens. I ordered a Mikuni carb as well, not sure how to install that. It hasn't arrived yet so I'll some research. Also, confused about shock adjustment? Overall, the mini beast seems a bit too big for my 5 year old also wife noticed 14 and under sticker :( ooops forgot to remove that one. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Great forum guys!!!

TurboT
08-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Not sure there is much in the way of shock adjustment on them. They are pretty squishy on mine.

If it races at idle I would check the top cap of the carb and the carb slider.

Weldangrind
08-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Seems to want to take off when I start it, good thing I had the brake set :wink: I'm going to adjust the throtle cable and see what happens.

Per TurboT's recommendation, consider removing the slider from the carb. Gently unscrew the top cap from the carb and lift out the cable and slider assembly. Allow the cable to show you where it wants to go; it might not be routed in the smoothest fashion. While the cable is out, work the thumb throttle a bit and see if it operates smoothly. Once you're satisfied with routing and smoothness, place the slider back in the carb. Please note that the slider has a groove down one side that mates with a tab inside the carb (this ensures that the slider only raises / lowers and doesn't rotate). There is a small ramp on one side of the bottom of the slider that mates with the idle screw.

After all of that, if the quad still wants to take off, the centrifugal clutch needs adjustment. Let us know.

Wife noticed 14 and under sticker :( ooops forgot to remove that one.

D'ohh! :lol:

TurboT
08-06-2009, 01:31 AM
Yeah and most 14 year old's wounldn't fit on them well so it's an odd sticker. Lawsuit avoider I call it. :)

crhunter
08-07-2009, 12:28 AM
The throttle cable was tightly packed in their so rerouted it checked the play and took off the tension after your suggestions Weldangrind (thanks) it doesn't take off after start up. A little back fire on start up, still adjusting the carb. Anyone know what the other bolt is for beside the oil drain plug (did an oil change already, tiny metal fragments so good maintenace tip for break in ohhh and way easier up on jack stands) I also noticed the battery isn't secured so bungeed that in their as well. Thinking I should have picked up the 50 cc for my year old... I'm sure he'll grow into it. Took it for a ride down the street, it's pretty pepping. I couldn't resist :D Anyway I just noticed the Mikuni carb I order has manual choke so it won't work with choke control lever on the mini beast handle. I'll see if I can modify this because I like that feature, saves me bending over.

TurboT
08-07-2009, 04:01 AM
The throttle cable was tightly packed in their so rerouted it checked the play and took off the tension after your suggestions Weldangrind (thanks) it doesn't take off after start up. A little back fire on start up, still adjusting the carb. Anyone know what the other bolt is for beside the oil drain plug (did an oil change already, tiny metal fragments so good maintenace tip for break in ohhh and way easier up on jack stands) I also noticed the battery isn't secured so bungeed that in their as well. Thinking I should have picked up the 50 cc for my year old... I'm sure he'll grow into it. Took it for a ride down the street, it's pretty pepping. I couldn't resist :D Anyway I just noticed the Mikuni carb I order has manual choke so it won't work with choke control lever on the mini beast handle. I'll see if I can modify this because I like that feature, saves me bending over.

Now that I have a truck I find it very easy to put the quad in the box or on the tailgate and do work on it up there. Being tall I hate bending down to work on these things. Oil change is a snap it's right there for me. As for the other bolt you mentioned, I'm not sure, but it is probably like my 50cc, which has a spring behind it so careful if you take it out. I am guessing it could be an internal oil pump spring/bolt. It's almost impossible to get the drain plug out of the 50cc, as it is right above the frame cross beam, so I had to use this bolt to drain the oil. It launched the bolt and spring across my yard as I wasn't expecting it. Luckily I found it. :) Be careful with that one!

Even for their size they are fun little machines, I've ridden both the 110 and 50cc and if they weren't so darn uncomfortable, would be extremely good fun for me too! :)

yozalo
08-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Man, it's been already been one day and there have been almost 10 posts. About the minkuni carn. The throttle cable it too short I have yet to figure out how to fix it. I know it still work even though the cable it short but it will not go to it's full speed since the slider does not go all the way up. The highest the slider will go up is 3/4.

Weldangrind
08-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Anyone know what the other bolt is for beside the oil drain plug

That bolt reveals the cam chain spring, as TurboT found out. No problem using that bolt, just don't lose the spring, and be sure to put it back in the same way it came out.

The throttle cable it too short I have yet to figure out how to fix it. I know it still work even though the cable it short but it will not go to it's full speed since the slider does not go all the way up. The highest the slider will go up is 3/4.

When you say the throttle cable is too short, do you mean that the thumb throttle won't travel far enough? You can confirm by removing the slider and working the thumb throttle; you can then observe if the slider travels all the way (maybe you tried this already). Don't forget that there is a cable adjustment next to the thumb throttle; maybe it's screwed in too far. Lastly, a dry cable doesn't cooperate. If you remove the throttle cable from the thumb throttle, you can attach a cable luber and force lube down the cable. I use Maxima Chain Wax for cables.

crhunter
08-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Did you check that throttle cable in "spare parts" bag? It might be a different length. Also, I found mine was pretty tightly packed in with the wiring harness. I re-routed so that it was free and then zapped strapped it to the frame. Although I am talking about the original cable/carb so the mikuni carb/throttle cable might be different.

yozalo
08-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Maybe I could try lube. I already tried unscrewing it weldandgrind. It did make a difference but the slider does not go all the way up. In the old carb the slider wouild go all the way up. I could maybe extend the cable or something.

Weldangrind
08-07-2009, 03:06 PM
It's not likely to be the cable length that's the problem. It's more likely to be the thumb throttle.

To prove it, you could remove the slider and remove the cable from the thumb throttle. Then, pull the cable manually to see if the slider extends all of the way; if it does, the cable length is fine. See if the thumb throttle can be modified to pull the cable further.

Don't forget that the thumb throttle has a limiting screw for beginners. Since you're not a beginner, you could remove the screw completely.

TurboT
08-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Don't forget that the thumb throttle has a limiting screw for beginners. Since you're not a beginner, you could remove the screw completely.

I was surprised how much this makes a difference. I used to just back our's way out when I took them for a test and tune, thinking that's the way they were.

Some of the kids were horsing around with the quads when shut off, and pulled one of them right out, when I took it for a spin it was noticeably more aggressive!

crhunter
08-07-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm not getting any spark. Fuel & battery seem good. I tried grounding the spark to the frame, no arc. Starter?

TurboT
08-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Check to make sure the boot is on the kill switch properly at the back of the unit. They are needly and if it's tipped a little it won't start.

Make sure all the switches are on as well. There is one on the handlebar and they key.

Let me know there are other things you can check.

crhunter
08-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Checked those things TurboT, all good. The battery is suspicious though. When it turns (attempts) to turn over it's like it doesn't have enough cranking power if that makes any sense. It won't full cycle, then after a couple attmepts basically nothing unless it sits for a while. Lights come on but I doubt they draw very much power. I'm going to pick up a trickle charger from Crappy Tire tomorrow and let it charge for a while. I see gio is out of stock. I'm thinking if was the starter or other electrical I woudn't get any turning at all. I could be wrong. I'll start with the battery first.

TurboT
08-07-2009, 08:33 PM
A trickle charge can't hurt. If it's turning over the starter is likely fine.

You may want to have a look at your wiring connections as well. They can wiggle loose from the factory. Make sure they are pressed into the white plugs all the way, especially around the cdi and rectifier. I would also check to see if they look correctly wired/color wise.

crhunter
08-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Is the rectifier the part that has the spark plug wire attached to before the CDI? I figured out the CDI and traced all the cables back carefully the zap straps (I'll re-do those later) checking to make sure the white conections are fully connected. It has been starting the last 2 days, it took a few tries to fire it up but today nothing. I emailed John at GIO this morning but haven't heard back from him. If I'm not getting an arc from the sparkplug when I put it contact with the frame what are possibilities? You also mentioned checking the wire colours. If the wires are different colours wouldn't this be a problem from day one?

Weldangrind
08-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Maybe we can break this down a little.

You said "I'm not getting any spark. Fuel & battery seem good. I tried grounding the spark to the frame, no arc. Starter?"

1. When you say that the battery seems good, does that mean that the engine turns over at a proper speed?
2. When you tried grounding the spark plug to the frame, does that mean that you removed the plug from the head, plugged it into the wire and held it against the head while cranking? If the engine was turning over at this point, the starter is not the problem. I think that you've already established that, but I'm trying to clearly understand your concern.

You then said "When it turns (attempts) to turn over it's like it doesn't have enough cranking power if that makes any sense. It won't full cycle, then after a couple attmepts basically nothing unless it sits for a while."

3. Is this a reference to cranking speed (in other words, does it only crank slowly)? I'm not sure what "it won't full cycle" means.
4. Have you changed the spark plug? The stock plug is junk. Switch to an NGK CR7HSA or similar; they're cheap.

Don't worry about connections or components until you've properly charged the battery and changed the plug. That's a good starting point.

TurboT
08-07-2009, 09:29 PM
W&G makes great points and I don't want you to get ahead of yourself either.. I am curious if this unit has run already and just had this problem, or if this is out of the box like this?

crhunter
08-07-2009, 09:38 PM
1. When you say that the battery seems good, does that mean that the engine turns over at a proper speed?

The lights work, they are bright.

2. When you tried grounding the spark plug to the frame, does that mean that you removed the plug from the head, plugged it into the wire and held it against the head while cranking?

Yes that's what I did. It was cranking well but no spark.

If the engine was turning over at this point, the starter is not the problem. I think that you've already established that, but I'm trying to clearly understand your concern.

No I don't think it is the starter.

You then said "When it turns (attempts) to turn over it's like it doesn't have enough cranking power if that makes any sense. It won't full cycle, then after a couple attmepts basically nothing unless it sits for a while."

3. Is this a reference to cranking speed (in other words, does it only crank slowly)? I'm not sure what "it won't full cycle" means.

Yes it cranks very slowly, like if you are trying to start your car in very cold temperatures

4. Have you changed the spark plug? The stock plug is junk. Switch to an NGK CR7HSA or similar; they're cheap.
Yes I changed the plug to autolite.

I think what I was referring to earlier is the ignition coil. I figured that out. Now I'm thinking stator after reading about them. The stator produces spark in the plug correct? How do I check it/test it? How do I access it?

TurboT
08-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Has it run before or never started?

I wouldn't go replacing parts yet. Get a good charge on your battery.
I would expect the frame is grounded, but not sure, I would check your spark on a head bolt or something on the motor just to be sure.

I've had no spark issues with a 110cc Mini Hummer. It was one wire was pulled back from the white connection boxs that goes into the rectifier. (The rectifier changes current from D/C to A/C I believe) This is located up underneath the body kit screwed into the frame.

There are many places for this to happen with the wires. You can also find the cdi box, and give it a squeeze to push the wires in. Sometimes they dangle loose from their resting place, swing and pull on the wires.

crhunter
08-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Has it run before or never started?

I've had it runnig for 2 days and couldn't get it started today...I'll check the connections again. Thanks

TurboT
08-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Let is know tomorrow when you have a good charge.

It is probably something small, easy to fix, and difficult to find.

Weldangrind
08-07-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm not inclined to think stator yet, I still think that you can't perform a valid test until the battery is strong.

Once the battery is fully charged, and if you still get no spark, I'd believe a CDI or rectifier problem before anything else (assuming no loose connections).

How did you establish the correct Autolite plug? A cross-reference chart? An NGK is cheap and reliable, and it's what Honda spec'd when the engine was first developed.

Let's say (after the battery is charged) you do get spark, but it still won't run. Just for fun, remove the air cleaner and try again; maybe it can't breathe.

TurboT
08-07-2009, 11:39 PM
I'm inclinded to drive the 10 minutes to come over and help you find the problem. :)

You got beer there? ;)
8)

crhunter
08-08-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm not inclined to think stator yet, I still think that you can't perform a valid test until the battery is strong.

Once the battery is fully charged, and if you still get no spark, I'd believe a CDI or rectifier problem before anything else (assuming no loose connections).

How did you establish the correct Autolite plug? A cross-reference chart? An NGK is cheap and reliable, and it's what Honda spec'd when the engine was first developed.

Let's say (after the battery is charged) you do get spark, but it still won't run. Just for fun, remove the air cleaner and try again; maybe it can't breathe.

I'm in the process of taking off the body, easier to look at what is going and check for any loose connections. I also order the Mini ATV Electric Modules Bundle from GIO it has a solenoid, ignition coil, cdi and rectifier for $49.95

I took the original chinese plug to Lordco and that's what they sold me. Same size and gap but a bit pricey. I will try NGK next time.

OKay I'll try that, i have to pick up a charger from Canadian Tire tomorrow. I think the battery is okay w/o testing. The headlight and taillight are bright...

crhunter
08-08-2009, 12:23 AM
I'm inclinded to drive the 10 minutes to come over and help you find the problem. :)

You got beer there? ;)
8)

Thanks for offer. I'll keep trying. i would like to get it ready for Tueday we are going up Kamloops for a week. Would be fun to have around. I'm also under the gun for school. I have a proposal due Monday and I keep procrastinating especially with a new toy. :)

Are you kidding I have two small kids...I always have beer. It's the only way to stay sane sometimes! 8O

Cheers

TurboT
08-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Thanks for offer. I'll keep trying. i would like to get it ready for Tueday we are going up Kamloops for a week. Would be fun to have around. I'm also under the gun for school. I have a proposal due Monday and I keep procrastinating especially with a new toy. :)

Are you kidding I have two small kids...I always have beer. It's the only way to stay sane sometimes! 8O

Cheers

Right with you on that one. I have two girls, shoot me...because if not I'll need the gun in about 6 years time. Know what I mean?

:twisted: