PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter - Recommend Changes

TurboT
08-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Hi Forum,

This post may come as no surprise to many but thought I should post to heed warning to new china quad owners.

I decided to pull the air filter off my Gio 110cc Mini Beast today, just to give it a clean up and check it over. When I removed the rubber hose attached to the carb (with some annoyance due to the angle of the clamp screw) I was quite surpised to see a lot of caked on crud along the walls of the carb intake. I would think this should be clean in there, as should be a filtered clean air zone, but no.

Now the air filter really was not that dirty, a little dusty but nothing serious.. it didn't look to me like it was doing a good job keeping much out of there other than large stones and small animals.

I cleaned this up as carefully and gingerly as possible, and will be sourcing new air filters for both my Gio's. I would recommend an upgrade in this area for many Gio owners who haven't done so already.

If any small Gio owners have sourced a good filter, and know the dimensions that would help me, as I can't seem to find my damn calipers anywhere. I should perhaps look in my kids toy box! :roll:

crhunter
08-10-2009, 01:09 AM
If any small Gio owners have sourced a good filter, and know the dimensions that would help me, as I can't seem to find my damn calipers anywhere. I should perhaps look in my kids toy box! :roll:

I use a Uni pod filter. Check out http://www.unifilter.com/online%20catalog/universal.html Scroll down to "Clamp-On Dual Layer Pod Filter Straight / Black Inner / Red Outer / Urethane Flange". Also scroll down to the next item that lists the 15 degree angle. You'll see that you can select from 1" to 4" ID, so there should be one that works with your carb.

These are the filters to buy if you're playing in the dirt. The red outer sleeve is coarse and the inner black pod is fine. Oil the inner black pod only (I use Maxima blue filter spray sparingly). They're usually about $20 from the local bike shop. :roll:

I remember asking about this a couple of days ago. I'm looking for an air filter as well. Let me know if you find one that works.

TurboT
08-10-2009, 01:52 AM
Yes I might need to crash Weldangrind's shop to steal his calipers. :)

I was surprised at the amount of crud in there, definetely on the priority list don't want to sandpaper the cylinder walls.

TurboT
08-10-2009, 03:03 AM
Yes I might need to crash Weldangrind's shop to steal his calipers. :)

I was surprised at the amount of crud in there, definetely on the priority list don't want to sandpaper the cylinder walls.

Yes I remember for sure and Weldangrind's opinion the stock one's were 'losers' ... I had expected that meant they were constrictive of air and not allowing good breathing for power, not allowing free flowing dirt in. :)

katoranger
08-10-2009, 09:23 AM
The K&N knock off filters I have seen on these little china bikes have been pathetic.

I found a seller on ebay that has UNI knockoffs. I got one and it is pretty good. I would suggest a UNI or a knockoff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310137619967&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It appears they ship to Canada.

Allen

TurboT
08-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Hey Allen thanks for the ebay link.

I will investigate a real uni here and check the costing and then make a decision. I will need two, one for both my little quads here.

katoranger
08-10-2009, 06:46 PM
With shipping it may be cheaper to get the real deal locally.

Allen

jimk
08-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Hi,
I'm posting a reply to this thread, as I'm interested in a good replacement filter as well. I just received my 110cc gio today and I'm curious if the carb is on correctly. The filter is hanging from the bottom of the carb and I can look right into the carb as see the choke. When I try to push the rubber housing from the air filter up to the clamp on the carb, the gas tank seems to be in the way. It looks to me as if the whole carb assemble is on backwards. On mine the air breather is in the front, under the gas tank. It looks to me like there would be a lot more room for it if the carb assembly was pointing the other direction, so the breather was under the seat. On my 50cc gio, this is how the air filter is configured.

Can anyone tell me if the 110cc should have the air filter in the front (pointing frontwards) OR pointing towards the back?

I can't seem to get the existing filter housing attached to the carb the way it is pointing now (frontwards).

Appreciate any help.

Weldangrind
08-18-2009, 08:51 PM
There have been some Chinese clones or horizontal Honda engines that point the filter forwards, but it's not typical. Can you remove the intake from the head and spin it around?

waynev
08-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Did you oil the filter?, as all K&N air filters must be oiled for best results,i used to run K&N's on my microsprint and it was wash and oil every week.

TurboT
08-18-2009, 08:56 PM
From what you're describing it is in backwards, and should be the same as your 50cc.

Strange way to come out of the box.

What kind of gio is it? Hummer or Mini Beast?

A picture of that would be great if you can get your camera in there.

jimk
08-18-2009, 09:25 PM
I have taken some pictures, but I can't figure out how to attach them to this post. [C:\data\ben\4_wheeler\gio_110_C.JPG]

How do I paste a picture?

TurboT
08-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Easiest way for me is with photobucket.

If you open a photobucket account, upload the picture to their site.

You then can hold the mouse over the pictures and a drop down appears, hold the mouse over the "html" link, right click and copy it. Move over to chinariders and paste that html link into the body of the message.

Easiest to do in 'tabbed browsing mode' so you can go back and forth easiest.

crhunter
08-19-2009, 01:35 AM
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/hunter_carlrobert/IMG_0987.jpg (http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/hunter_carlrobert/?action=view&current=IMG_0987.jpg)

Thanks for the tip TurboT...bombing around at Paul Lake, Kamloops BC on the gio 110 mini beast

Weldangrind
08-19-2009, 01:42 AM
Wow, that doesn't look very mini, crhunter. It's definitely smaller than a Beast, but it's no 50 either. I hadn't seen one with a rider for reference before.

TurboT
08-19-2009, 01:42 AM
Lookin sharp chap! :)

Weldangrind
08-19-2009, 01:53 AM
Did you oil the filter?, as all K&N air filters must be oiled for best results,i used to run K&N's on my microsprint and it was wash and oil every week.

I wash our Uni filters with Castrol Super Clean and then oil with Maxima spray oil. The Uni filters are really good, so I usually clean them every second ride.

jimk
08-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Here is my attempt at some pictures of the air breather showing it at the front of the engine. Can anyone tell me if this looks to be on backwards of if it is alright?

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss268/jrkeirstead/gio_110_D.jpg (http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/ss268/jrkeirstead/?action=view&current=gio_110_D.jpg)

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss268/jrkeirstead/gio_110_C.jpg (http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/ss268/jrkeirstead/?action=view&current=gio_110_C.jpg)

Weldangrind
08-19-2009, 11:08 AM
I would spin it around. The fuel bowl angle looks unworkable in that position. If you can't get the existing filter to fit after spinning the carb and intake, you could always switch to a Uni pod for around $20.00.

TurboT
08-19-2009, 02:56 PM
I would spin it around. The fuel bowl angle looks unworkable in that position. If you can't get the existing filter to fit after spinning the carb and intake, you could always switch to a Uni pod for around $20.00.

I concur. It looks wrong on many counts. It should be the other way, with the air filter pointing up. Not to mention it's pinching that wire onto the head, quick way to melt them.

jimk
08-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Curious. Can I simply unbolt the carb intake and just spin it around? Should I replace the gasket if I do that, or is it just a matter of unbolting it and spinning it around? It does look as if there would be a lot more room for the air breather if I spin the carb and intake assembly 180 deg.

I'm just trying to determine if this is something I should take on myself or bite the bullet and take it to a small engine shop.

I've done minor repairs on bikes before, like brake replacements and changing fluids, etc., but not much at all with the engine.

TurboT
08-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Curious. Can I simply unbolt the carb intake and just spin it around? Should I replace the gasket if I do that, or is it just a matter of unbolting it and spinning it around? It does look as if there would be a lot more room for the air breather if I spin the carb and intake assembly 180 deg.

I'm just trying to determine if this is something I should take on myself or bite the bullet and take it to a small engine shop.

I've done minor repairs on bikes before, like brake replacements and changing fluids, etc., but not much at all with the engine.

I think since it's not been run, (I assume) you should be able to flip it without changing the gasket. Just be careful you don't rip it removing it. If you do think the gasket is damaged, you should be able to find one as these engines are pretty much Honda 50,70 clones.

It'll more than likely just pop off easily...but I understand your fear, nothing ever really goes according to plan!

Weldangrind
08-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Ditto TurboT.

I'll add that you'll make things easier for yourself if you remove the carb slider first. Just unscrew the top of the carb, and the slider and spring assembly will slide right out (and stay assembled).

When you're ready to put the slider back in, be sure to allow the cable to go where it wants. You might find a totally different route than the way it was. Making sure that the cable isn't twisted (or worse, kinked), will help make the throttle operate smoothly.

When you place the slider back in the top of the carb, be sure to note that one side has a small ramp at the bottom, and the other side has a slot that runs the length of the slider. Ensure that the slot mates with the bump inside the carb so that it will not be stuck wide open. Test the throttle several times before starting the engine, to make sure that it's springing back properly.

It'll all make perfect sense when you take it apart. Work very slowly as you screw the top of the carb back in. It will cross-thread if you're rough with it.

TurboT
08-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Yes.. and Ditto to W&G on the top cap. Thing can be a bit irritating to get back on with that spring and delicate threads.

..and let us know how you make out, we're always here to help!

Weldangrind
08-20-2009, 01:36 AM
I was trying to be kind and not mention you in the carb cap comment, TurboT! :lol:

TurboT
08-20-2009, 01:47 AM
I was trying to be kind and not mention you in the carb cap comment, TurboT! :lol:

Hahaha..

Well, you know me and those top caps/sliders.. they love me. It's the gigantic hands versus miniture motor parts... Happy to report the latest gio hasn't had me ham handing the carb at all.

Weldangrind
08-20-2009, 01:57 AM
I thought it was all the thumbs...

So your latest Gio ran well out of the box?

TurboT
08-20-2009, 02:09 AM
I thought it was all the thumbs...

So your latest Gio ran well out of the box?

The one I sent you a vid of was running like that without any carb adjustments. Gas on, started and ran like that. Might be a 'tad' rich, but I don't find the mixture screw really does much on these anyhow.

My other 110cc mini beast was like that too.

Weldangrind
08-20-2009, 02:25 AM
The mixture screw is only for idle and "tip in". You need to raise the clip if it's rich.

TurboT
08-20-2009, 02:32 AM
The mixture screw is only for idle and "tip in". You need to raise the clip if it's rich.

Duh.. where's the 'clip' ... inside?

Weldangrind
08-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Assuming you're not teasing me, the clip is within the slider that you so love to remove and reinstall. :lol:

Upon removing the slider, you'll see the jet needle sticking out of the bottom. Carefully compress the spring in the slider, remove the throttle cable and spring, and the slider / needle assembly will be free. Remove the needle from the slider (there's usually a small spring clip inside the slider that holds the needle in place). Note that the needle has a circlip on it in one of five grooves.

The needle controls fuel flow, and it is pulled up out of a jet each time you open the throttle. If you move the clip up, the needle will not pull out of the jet as far, creating a leaner mixture. If you move the clip down, you will pull the needle further out of the jet, creating a richer mixture. Simple, no?

That's why I said that the mixture screw is only for idle and tip-in. As soon as you open the throttle, the slider needle uncovers the jet.

http://www.javacycles.com/images/carbneedle.jpg

TurboT
08-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Not really teasing you.

Lots of experience here with internal motors but never did much carb work, and no experience with atv's or motorcyles until recently.

I get how all that works.. and I always appreciate your articulate explanations.

Weldangrind
08-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Anytime. I'll add that after you move the clip, you should re-tune the air / fuel screw. I shoot for little or no bog when the throttle is opened quickly. From there, I fine tune to the highest rpm at that specific idle setting. The highest rpm typically indicates the ideal air / fuel ratio.

cameron88
08-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Assuming you're not teasing me, the clip is within the slider that you so love to remove and reinstall. :lol:

Upon removing the slider, you'll see the jet needle sticking out of the bottom. Carefully compress the spring in the slider, remove the throttle cable and spring, and the slider / needle assembly will be free. Remove the needle from the slider (there's usually a small spring clip inside the slider that holds the needle in place). Note that the needle has a circlip on it in one of five grooves.

The needle controls fuel flow, and it is pulled up out of a jet each time you open the throttle. If you move the clip up, the needle will not pull out of the jet as far, creating a leaner mixture. If you move the clip down, you will pull the needle further out of the jet, creating a richer mixture. Simple, no?

That's why I said that the mixture screw is only for idle and tip-in. As soon as you open the throttle, the slider needle uncovers the jet.

http://www.javacycles.com/images/carbneedle.jpg

Awsome Pick W&G this helps me with my snorkel breathing issue as I was a bit unsure about the needle and clip you spoke of.

Thanks again
Cameron

Weldangrind
08-21-2009, 07:17 PM
You're welcome. I found it at www.javacycles.com