PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a Viva in BC

Jim
09-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Where to buy a Viva in BC?

TurboT
09-04-2009, 03:36 AM
Seen many others, but not that brand specifically. I will keep my eye out for you.

Jim
09-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks, no big rush on it, just looking at a used one and would like to have an idea for oem parts and original retail price... Also wondering if Viva is the same as others... I remember reading quite a bit about Viva, but not too much lately.

Reveeen
09-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Good discussion of Viva here along with a dead link to Viva:

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=679&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I *think* after this you can consider Viva history:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/casesett/vivamotor.htm

Jim
09-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the links :) Good information.

TurboT
09-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Looks like 1.8 million reasons to not sell bikes anymore.

Ouch!

Jim
09-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Ouch indeed... The one I found is used, and seems like a good deal, if I wind up with it I will post more details.

Reveeen
09-06-2009, 07:39 PM
It is really hard to determine if a dealer/parts network is important.

No matter what part I seem to want from my local Yamahaha dealer I have to order it, the local Honda dealer (a "power" dealer) is the same, so too Suzuki. I have to say, the only dealer that seems to carry any sort of parts inventory is the the Harley dealer, Harley parts only (this is the local Honda "power" dealer too). So it would seem that a parts supply is not important, so it must be the service? (One wonders what kind of service you get without parts?)

I am left wondering what the difference is between going to a store and ordering a part (and waiting), or ordering it on-line (and waiting)? Other than trying to keep some of my money in the local economy I see no difference.

I am kinda partial to Subaru cars, trouble is there are no parts locally, again an "order" situation. So I bought a Ford, a Ranger (I could use a little truck), I find myself in the same boat, ordering parts, true the wait is not as long, but still a wait.

I wonder when the local dealers of things will start disappearing and all transactions will take place on-line?

TurboT
09-06-2009, 08:20 PM
It is really hard to determine if a dealer/parts network is important.

No matter what part I seem to want from my local Yamahaha dealer I have to order it, the local Honda dealer (a "power" dealer) is the same, so too Suzuki. I have to say, the only dealer that seems to carry any sort of parts inventory is the the Harley dealer, Harley parts only (this is the local Honda "power" dealer too). So it would seem that a parts supply is not important, so it must be the service? (One wonders what kind of service you get without parts?)

I am left wondering what the difference is between going to a store and ordering a part (and waiting), or ordering it on-line (and waiting)? Other than trying to keep some of my money in the local economy I see no difference.

I am kinda partial to Subaru cars, trouble is there are no parts locally, again an "order" situation. So I bought a Ford, a Ranger (I could use a little truck), I find myself in the same boat, ordering parts, true the wait is not as long, but still a wait.

I wonder when the local dealers of things will start disappearing and all transactions will take place on-line?

You make some good points...you can't expect a parts supplier to have every single little part, for every single car or truck they ever made. They'd sink in inventory overheads.

..but I do think the point you may miss, is the good assurance in your mind that when you walk into Yamaha, Ford, Harley, Honda or whoever, that when you order the part for your bike it's going to arrive and fit. If not it's more than likely a human error in the order on either side.

With the china bikes, that's where things are muddy. You can't find a Viva dealer, so you order a Gio part, or a Lifan part, or whatever with the HOPE it's interchangeable. It may or may not be. You might have to order three parts to get one that works. I think that is the major difference.

...and I think the online model will take off more than it is now. Drop shipping from suppliers, less 'retail' space costs, and general better working hours to people to supply their customers is going to keep the online seller booming, and the storefronts dissapearing.

Reveeen
09-06-2009, 09:18 PM
you can't expect a parts supplier to have every single little part, for every single car or truck they ever made

No, but I can expect "consumables", parts that, due to their nature, wear out, needing regular replacement (keeping in mind that the parts I buy are the same in many years, I don't expect stock in specific (1 year, 1 model) parts). Actually Subaru, in this respect, is better than Ford (or the aftermarket) in locating parts, and getting them here, much to my surprise (maybe because this is their "business model" while the N.American manufacturers are working on the old business model of stocking parts without the actual stock).

For a while I worked (as part of my apprenticeship) at rebuilding components (starters, alternators, injection pumps, super chargers, turbos, transmissions, engines) this is no longer possible, as there no longer exists a dependable source of parts.

Weldangrind
09-07-2009, 12:34 AM
At the risk of a thread hijack, I think that you'll see a more refined inventory system develop. At work, we're now only carrying inventory that we've used in the last few months, and only quantities that reflect such usage. It doesn't mean that we can flawlessly predict inventory needs, but it does mean that we're less likely to carry redundant quantities or stock that doesn't move.

Everybody wins. The tech is more likely to have the part in stock that the customer needs, our service vehicles aren't carrying excess weight (which would increase fuel costs and degrade performance), our technicians and warehouse folks have less inventory to count :D , and the shareholders have more profit due to lower costs.