PDA

View Full Version : Negotiating with an 8 year old...

TurboT
09-15-2009, 03:12 AM
Okay guys.. I had a weird call yesterday, wondering your thoughts here.

I'm trying to sell a Gio Quad I got stuck with, have it on CL and also posted it here.

Check my messages yesterday and it's a kid, sounds like he's 9 years old or something, asking in the message if I still have the quad and "What the lowest price I'd take on this would be? ..like uhm, would you go to like, 525 or 500 or like what, cuz like I'm really interested and I have a couple little cousins that are like 3 and another who is 4, yeah so, could you let me know and where you live, thanks bye.. "

I laughed, didn't leave his name or number or anything..but I got thinking, I'd feel weird playing hardball with an 8 year old. What would you guys do?

AZ200cc
09-15-2009, 03:37 AM
I'd wait and see what the living situation of the YUNG UN is, If he is from a poorer family I'd work with him...If his lawyer father made him call and try and talk ya down......I'd raise the price........But that's just me.

Cal25
09-15-2009, 09:02 AM
I would only sell it to one of his parents.

Weldangrind
09-15-2009, 10:11 AM
I would only actually deal with the parents, but I'd show the young man respect by responding to his questions. It takes a lot of cajones to call a stranger and leave a message when you're young. He'll always remember the first time he "bought" a quad.

Did you try call display?

TurboT
09-16-2009, 02:51 PM
I did think this was quite 'bold' myself.. However I do also suspect that the parents may not speak english, and that is why the young guy had to call himself...which makes me think I would have to solely work out the deal with him, which makes me uncomfortable.

He had blocked his number when calling, and didn't leave one in the message, so I am kind of hung up unless he calls back... but wanted to throw out this discussion in the event he does call back.

MrJ
09-16-2009, 06:28 PM
I had the same experiance last week with the Gio Mini Hummer I listed for sale. The 12 year old call and wants to view the quad, he gets his cousin to drive the 45 min to my home. He likes the quad and hauls out a wad of cash. HMM I thinks to myself a young mafia kid. Well not feeling great because the 12 year old had more dough that I had in my pocket and working for 25+ years I told him to come back tommrow. He wanted to seal the deal and get a bill of sale but not feeling great about the dablons in his pocket and thier orgin I told him to call the next day early. SO he calls at 9:30 am and asks if its still available. Sure is but you have to bring your parents with you. Well the kid shows up 1 hr later with Grandpa in tow and buys the quad. My thoughts were where did the coin come from and selling a motorized vehicle to an underage person would land me into trouble has something gone wrong and the kid got hurt. The quad was sold to Poppy and now gramps can worry about the problems

Weldangrind
09-17-2009, 01:43 AM
Wise move MrJ. You sold the kid the quad and covered yourself in the process. I wouldn't want the sale of a quad to a minor to bite me.

AZ200cc
09-17-2009, 02:13 AM
Sometimes I forget we live in Sue happy Nanny nations, Where You have to treat every one like an enemy who is out to get You. Pretty sad what it has come to, You can't even sell a kid a mini bike without lawyers going all APESH%# on You. :( I want to go back in time :?

katoranger
09-17-2009, 08:11 AM
I remember buying a honda moped for $15 from another kid. I must have been 16 because I drove there.

Put it in the trunk of the car and took it home. No one worried about it. That was almost 20 years ago.

My little brother and I proceeded to jump that poor honda and we broke just about everything. It took us a year and it still ran.

AZ200cc
09-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Yup, When I was a kid I did most of my deals myself...My dad wanted to teach me how to buy and sell. One time I bought seven pallets of cement from apower plant that was doing a rebuild. They bought too much and sold it to me for five bucks a pallet. I sold each bag for three buck each and made enough to buy a three wheeler and start my own savings.....Which I promptly spent when I became a teenager :lol:

frostbite
10-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I'd wait and sell to a parent. There may be legalities involved with selling to a minor when it comes to transfers of ownership, bill of sale, and so forth. Or you could have little Johnny's dad show up in a huff looking for his kids money back for a purchase he didn't authorize.

ambassador
10-07-2009, 08:02 PM
When I was a kid I sold my bicycle to my friends younger brother, sure enough I got a phone call from has Mother saying that he had stolen the money out of her purse and wanted it back, big pain in the butt...

TurboT
10-08-2009, 02:26 AM
When I was a kid I sold my bicycle to my friends younger brother, sure enough I got a phone call from has Mother saying that he had stolen the money out of her purse and wanted it back, big pain in the butt...

Niiiice..

Odd thing is I keep getting calls from little kids about the CL ad. Different kids asking questions... I find that interesting. I guess if you're going to sell something geared for kids should expect them to call about it??