PDA

View Full Version : Camber & Toe Excellent How-To

PCD
10-02-2009, 02:01 AM
First let me make it perfectly clear I just stumbled across this. I did not write or contribute to it in any way.
Secondly I won't copy and paste it due to copyright violation.

Here is the link http://quad.transworld.net/features/measuring-and-adjusting-front-toe-and-camber/

Weldangrind wroe an excellent post on bumpsteer, so between that and this, setting up your steering should be fairly easy.

Pete

Weldangrind
10-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the link! I bookmarked that one.

That's almost the procedure I used for our Beast (our Monster doesn't have adjustable upper ball joints yet), with a couple of differences.

I don't trust the Chinese tires to be concentric and consistent, so I measured from the rims only. I realize that the rims aren't perfect either, so my plan is to fabricate alignment plates that bolt up to the wheel mounting studs and give a solid, consistent measuring point.

Rather than guessing on negative camber (1/4" from the top of a square or level), a cheap angle finder can be found at HF or most tool shops. You can then accurately set camber, document the setting and make incremental changes according to preference.

In addition to cycling the suspension up and down, it's a good idea to roll the quad back and forth after changes (mark the floor first). Also, if you make the adjustments to toe and camber without a rider on the seat, everything will change once a rider is onboard. Once I got close with alignment specs, I had someone sit on the seat as I double-checked and tightened everything up.

PCD
10-04-2009, 08:04 PM
When my Beast arrives I will be following your excellent advice. Good thinking on the tires.

Pete