PDA

View Full Version : Painting forks?

ambassador
10-03-2009, 10:43 PM
I wanna paint my forks flat black, I've done the rest of the bike in black n blue (see pics in gallery), my question is what sort of prep do i need to do? They are the 06 gold forks(hated em since day 1), i dont have the cash to powder coat them, can i just scuff them up with some fine grit and paint them with a rattle can? I know someone has done it before but I cant find the post? Any input would be appreciated..

FastDoc
10-03-2009, 11:23 PM
I don't know. Are they textured? Q's anodized forks have a machined surface.

Are you sure you want to paint them? It's an individual thing but I like the anodized look.

If you decide to paint them I'd recommend removing them from the bike and using an epoxy as this is a very high wear area.

Weldangrind
10-04-2009, 01:26 AM
What if you try to remove the anodized coating and leave it at that? The brushed aluminum would look great against flat black.

Q
10-04-2009, 08:14 AM
The gold anodizing has faded away on my 07 from being out in the sun. They're just aluminum colored now.

I've painted forks on several bikes with a rattle can. Worked fine.

Q

lego1970
10-04-2009, 12:05 PM
My bike has gold forks as well. I'm not a big fan of the gold color either. I wonder if glass etching paste or something similiar either acidic or caustic would remove the finish? Good luck.

katoranger
10-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I think others have used oven cleaner to remove the gold finish. Mine too have faded.

Allen

panamarandy
10-04-2009, 05:51 PM
my forks started oxidizing some so I sanded them with a very fine paper, then spray painted them with a good quality chrome aerosol paint, and its been 6 months now in the Florida salt and humidity and they still look like the day I did it.

Reveeen
10-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Scuffing the aluminum with ScotchBrite, and painting with a old time enamel paint (Plasti-Kote), has worked well here for me.

ambassador
10-04-2009, 08:01 PM
I went back and found the posts on this subject and i've gathered that oven cleaner or Greased Lightning will take the yellow/gold right off?

Weld, i'd really like to go with the brushed alum look but dont want to trash my forks stripping it off..

I think i'm gonna try stripping it off with Greased Lightining, if it comes out that bad i'll just paint em..

FastDoc
10-05-2009, 12:18 AM
I'd be careful to not get any strippers or caustics on the seals, and make sure the forks are off the bike. Also, before and after pics please! :D