PDA

View Full Version : plate for my beast

waynec
11-12-2009, 09:12 PM
I have been refused registration on my beast. I downloaded the forms from Gio and was told they were not acceptable as they are copies. Originals only required!! Has anyone been successful getting a plate for a Gio ATV? If so, whats the trick....waynec

PCD
11-12-2009, 09:30 PM
I have been refused registration on my beast. I downloaded the forms from Gio and was told they were not acceptable as they are copies. Originals only required!! Has anyone been successful getting a plate for a Gio ATV? If so, whats the trick....waynec

I know they are supposed to be registered when you go off private property, but i wonder if those gio forms would satisfy 5.0?

I might say something like this to the licensing office

" Ok, thank you for your time....OH, by the way, I need your refusual to register this vehicle in writing please..why you ask?.. Well, I need to show the police something when I get stopped......Oh, you dont do that? Really?... Ok, I guess I just need your name then to reference when I write to (insert top oficial here) and get clarification on this matter."
I would be polite and smiling at ALL times.

MICRider
11-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Hmmm, I haven't tried it yet, but I assumed that funny looking sheet of paper with the manufactures name and serial number of the atv that came with the quad was the paperwork needed... Looks like some kind of bill of sale?

Not sure though, I didn't look at it closely, I just assumed that it was for registration purposes...

PCD
11-12-2009, 10:12 PM
I forgot all about that little square of paper with that oddball pattern on it.
Good catch.

MICRider
11-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Plus I'm hoping the police and the bylaw officer don't catch me... Lol! Though the fine would be waaaaaay more than I paid for the quad!

waynev
11-12-2009, 10:53 PM
I forgot all about that little square of paper with that oddball pattern on it.
Good catch.

Yeah, i brought that and all the paper work i could get from the gio site on my T1 and my beast and the mto shut both down and said they couldn't register them. 99% of my riding will be done on private property though so i'm not too worried, the only part that really sucked was i couldn't get insurance on them without a registration. I might have to slip to a mto in a small town and see if i can get them done. No luck here in london.

MICRider
11-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Please keep us posted on this, I was going to try to register mine and my sons but now wonder if I even could? There is a registration problems thread on the main forums but I don't know if it had anything on the GIO bikes, I just kind of quickly glanced at it. Might be worth a look if you haven't checked it out already.

TurboT
11-12-2009, 11:17 PM
This is strange. I have seen some Gio pictures, I think it was his website somwhere, showing Gio quads with Alberta license plates.. so someone got it done.

Perhaps this is something to email Gio directly about if there are problems in that regard.

waynec
11-13-2009, 09:43 AM
I can't bear the thought of taking this to John. Not on the heels of this shock nonsense. This should be an issue of importance for him with the new laws in Ontario. Its a $200. fine and most of my trails require a 2k run down a side road. No plate is a deal breaker for me.

I am also surprised by the lack of comment on his post. I suspect they have been taken to pm's. Pretty ballsy to post something so provocative. Its clear he feels considerable contempt for his customers that expect him to deliver what he advertises. ....waynec

PCD
11-13-2009, 12:46 PM
I can't bear the thought of taking this to John. Not on the heels of this shock nonsense. This should be an issue of importance for him with the new laws in Ontario. Its a $200. fine and most of my trails require a 2k run down a side road. No plate is a deal breaker for me.

I am also surprised by the lack of comment on his post. I suspect they have been taken to pm's. Pretty ballsy to post something so provocative. Its clear he feels considerable contempt for his customers that expect him to deliver what he advertises. ....waynec

5 to 10 you would end up getting so frustrated that it wouldnt be worth it.

As for his post...there is nothing to gain by going postal on him. His post spoke volumes as it is.....

waynev
11-13-2009, 01:35 PM
What POST are you guys talking about?, i guess i haven't seen it.

PCD
11-13-2009, 01:42 PM
What POST are you guys talking about?, i guess i haven't seen it.

Just do a global search on members.... Giobikes..he only has like 9 posts and to be honest, I dont remember where the heck it is anymore. One of the shock threads I think.

waynev
11-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Oh......that one, i thought you meant there was one reguarding getting these quads registered.

waynec
11-13-2009, 05:35 PM
So I can now drive my beast sporting my new plate. I first went to my insurer to get any insight they may have on my problem with MOT. They seemed perplexed that I would be hassled trying to pay both my plate fee and the PST. How weird to have to struggle to give coin to the Gov't. So went to another license bureau and the clerk right away asked for my nivviss (NVIS) like she did a few dozen a day. The other place claimed to have never seen that form before.

The only real snag was that the vin number was not in the registry like it should be. She fudged it a little to get me on my way but I am curious as to why. A few short cuts when imported perhaps? So $75. registration & pst and $261 for insurance. Done. waynec

TurboT
11-13-2009, 06:28 PM
What's a NVIS?

MICRider
11-13-2009, 06:53 PM
So I can now drive my beast sporting my new plate. I first went to my insurer to get any insight they may have on my problem with MOT. They seemed perplexed that I would be hassled trying to pay both my plate fee and the PST. How weird to have to struggle to give coin to the Gov't. So went to another license bureau and the clerk right away asked for my nivviss (NVIS) like she did a few dozen a day. The other place claimed to have never seen that form before.

The only real snag was that the vin number was not in the registry like it should be. She fudged it a little to get me on my way but I am curious as to why. A few short cuts when imported perhaps? So $75. registration & pst and $261 for insurance. Done. waynec

$261 insurance for 1 year? Little pricier than I thought it would be.

waynec
11-13-2009, 07:32 PM
NVIS is avialable right besde your shipping statement in 'my gio' Its a form you need to download to get it registered. All new vehicles not previously registered need this and MTO kept the copy I provided. It stands for New Vehicle Information Statement.

I got hassled , maybe , because my copy was clearly a photo copy. Next time I will use a high res copy setting and photo paper. I should also add a signature just appeared on my form that may not at all resemble the name of JD. ...funny how that got there....waynec

PCD
11-13-2009, 08:03 PM
NVIS is avialable right besde your shipping statement in 'my gio' Its a form you need to download to get it registered. All new vehicles not previously registered need this and MTO kept the copy I provided. It stands for New Vehicle Information Statement.

I got hassled , maybe , because my copy was clearly a photo copy. Next time I will use a high res copy setting and photo paper. I should also add a signature just appeared on my form that may not at all resemble the name of JD. ...funny how that got there....waynec

Glad you got er done man.

I was thinking about it myself. Mainly for the insurance, but I think there is some case law about 2 guys hitting one another on multiple use trails and it turned out to be an "at your own peril" thingy. IANAL so who knows.

As for registering because I'm supposed to? They can suck it. I have enough riders on my home policy to fill a bus anyway. I'm sure one of them covers the toys for theft.

cameron88
11-16-2009, 11:16 AM
I had some issues at one registry in Calgary. The issue was the photo copy, and it was not signed. I tried to explain it was an internet purchase and I cant travel to BC to get it signed, but no go. (not swas some old bitter lady)

I then scribbled on the signature line went to another registry and had no issues at all. The dude I got at the second registry was tattooed up and new the gio name, and just gave me a smile when I gave him the signed copy :P
Still need the NVIS sheet and the print able bill of sale from gios site, but worked no problem for me on the second try.

I could almsot swear these old bitty ladys are just there to cause issues....(I got pretty mad at the first registry, cant go back there now LOL)

waynec
11-16-2009, 12:57 PM
In Ontario our license bureaus are independently run under some contract or franchise deal. I did not make a big deal when refused the first time because they have all the power and could care less about much other than the rules.
Best to just smile and learn ...then adjust your game to suit the next opponent....waynec