PDA

View Full Version : Not another project. American kart with china power?

katoranger
12-06-2009, 12:57 PM
One of my coworker has an extra 2 seat kart that is FREE. Well seeing has how he knows I can't resist he asked me first.

My wife said the girls could have a go-kart. So the plans are starting. I think I can build it for almost nothing with parts already in the monster backyard.

The honda cl/kazuma will likely be given up on to donate it powertrain to the kart project. 110cc with semi auto 4speed should be enough to get them around. It is e-start too. I can limit it to 1st gear that way too and keep speeds down.

Just have to wait to get it here.

Would be nice to split the cases and install a reverse gear.

Weldangrind
12-07-2009, 02:04 AM
Sounds like a fun project!

You could always use an axle that has reverse built in like the 150 Gio Monsters. Maybe you can find a similar quad for cheap and use the GY6 engine and the rear axle with a disc brake. The reverse mechanism is actuated by a lever, similar to a parking brake.

http://www.giobikes.com/images/products/182/182/4.2.jpg

katoranger
12-07-2009, 07:56 AM
That would be great. Does the axle have a differential too? What is the width? I think this is a pretty wide kart.

I thought about making a swingarm too. Not sure how much I want to put into it.

Allen

Weldangrind
12-07-2009, 11:37 AM
The axle is 26" from flange to flange, and it is not a differential, IIRC. You can read more about my experiences with this axle here: http://www.chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8603&highlight=monster

katoranger
12-07-2009, 01:28 PM
That wouldn't be too bad, but I don't know if 26" is going to be wide enough. Still waiting to see what I get. Probably be next week.

Should just keep it simple. Need to have a live axle or one with a differential so that it doesn't get stuck all the time.

Allen

Weldangrind
12-07-2009, 03:29 PM
It's definitely a live axle, and the outside measurement from tire to tire is 34" wide.

katoranger
06-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Ok. I am suppose to get it on Monday. Also coming with is 2 electric scooters. I am sure not working, but maybe then can be used for something.

katoranger
02-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Well, It may be time to start hunting and gathering for this project. I need to get some pics of the kart. It is under cover right now and needs alot of work, but perfect start for some mods.

Current plan is to use a honda horizontal clone. Semi auto clutch with reverse. My 6 year old is getting to big for her little tractor.

Weldangrind
02-07-2011, 11:37 AM
If you end up splitting a case to install a reverse gear, I hereby formally request photo documentation. Please.

katoranger
02-07-2011, 12:09 PM
I may go that route. I have that 110 on the bench in pieces and it would be a good starting point.

Weldangrind
02-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Have you sourced reverse gears?

katoranger
02-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Not yet. I am not sure what I need.

katoranger
02-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Couple of pics. It snowed last night.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e166/katoranger/005.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e166/katoranger/006.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e166/katoranger/007.jpg

Plan is to put in a live axle with a disc brake and use a 90-125cc horizontal clone with reverse.

I salvaged some seat belts from the jetta and save the seat foam to make some new seat pads.

Weldangrind
02-10-2011, 10:08 PM
That looks like a really good starting point. I like the front steer and spindle setup. It's got some white junk on it though. Not sure what that is.

Why are you going with a horizontal Honda clone? It's already set up for a horizontal crank utility engine; is reverse a high priority?

Another option would be a 150 GY6 with a planetary reverse gear. No clutch and no gears. Just a simple lever for reverse.

If you decide that a clutch would be ok, I have a spare Foote three speed with matching differential out of a Cadet 75.

katoranger
02-11-2011, 08:53 AM
WG. I plan to use an e-start engine and reverse will make it much easier to manuever for the girls. We have trails in the woods and being able to back up to make turns will be nice. Also I plan to only show them how to get it into first gear.

One of the other options is one of the cvt engines with reverse.

Plan is to cut the old axle off and install bearing hangers for a live axle.

Weldangrind
02-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Another option is to find a rear axle like the one I posted near the top of the page, and drive it with a 5hp Briggs (or similar). That would give you one speed, reverse and a disc brake on a live axle.

katoranger
02-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Those axles are available on ebay. The easiest thing would be to use a briggs or similar. I would need the clutch chain and all that too.

Still in the planning stages. If a suitable briggs or honda/clone presents itself I will go that route. (needs to be cheap)

FastDoc
02-11-2011, 01:20 PM
I see a Harbor Freight run in your near future. :P

katoranger
02-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Waiting for a sale. The honda gx clone and the rear axle would be a good combo.