PDA

View Full Version : Winter Riding - Konker Motors.

konkermotors
12-09-2009, 01:48 PM
So yesterday in vancouver - it was minus 2 degrees. Which i know for the rest of Canada is like SPRING, but for us, it's freakin' freezing. Yah yah, cry me a river - i've heard it all before from everyone living outside of the rainy city. But if the rain ever stops - which it did YESTERDAY - we're riding. So after chipping away at the frozen ruts - we did some pit bikin' and was out jumping the Konker KSM200 - Ian Schriefer is the rider - and it was a ton of fun. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imSn9R1_23U

TurboT
12-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Cool!

After experiencing what close to -20 felt 'up country' back in October, I'm a firm believer that -2 down here feels a lot colder. I've been shivering the past couple days here, and it seems rediculous considering how cold it gets elsewhere, but there's been something else in the air causing -2 to feel like -20.

Cool sounding bikes. Fun looking place to mess around on them.

suprf1y
12-09-2009, 03:13 PM
5 degrees in sunny SW Ontario :lol:

I'd be riding if i didn't have so much to do.

That bike looks pretty good!

konkermotors
12-09-2009, 04:35 PM
woo hooo! someone who doesn't think i'm a wuss for complaining about the chilly -2 degree weather!! right on!

TurboT
12-09-2009, 05:18 PM
woo hooo! someone who doesn't think i'm a wuss for complaining about the chilly -2 degree weather!! right on!

Good stuff. I've felt like a wuss myself of late, but just decided there must be some moisture off the ocean in the air that chills you to the bone even at -2.

I rode my YZ around up in Williams Lake in October. It was -15 overnight and got to a balmy -3 during the day in the Sunshine. I wasn't as cold there riding as I am here taking out the trash. 8O

Weldangrind
12-09-2009, 10:05 PM
I was raised in Edmonton (don't plan on growing up), and -5 Celcius in Vancouver feels like about -15 to -20 in Edmonton. I blame the humidity.

Cool pit bike track! I wish I had a backyard like that.

SpudRider
12-10-2009, 03:55 AM
I was raised in Edmonton (don't plan on growing up), and -5 Celcius in Vancouver feels like about -15 to -20 in Edmonton. I blame the humidity...
You are absolutely correct; humidity lets the cold bite into your bones! Humid air is more punishing than dry air, whether hot, or cold. I hate humidity; I moved west to escape it!

That's a nice video. :) I thought the KSM200 was a supermoto with 17" wheels? Is Konker Motors also selling the dual sport version of this motorcycle?

Spud :)

FastDoc
12-10-2009, 12:26 PM
I was planning on riding yesterday with a temp of 24 degrees but ran out of time/daylight. Glad to see there are people harder core (crazier?) than me! :P

SpudRider
12-10-2009, 01:55 PM
I was planning on riding yesterday with a temp of 24 degrees but ran out of time/daylight. Glad to see there are people harder core (crazier?) than me! :P
The overnight low temperature at my home in Idaho was minus 15 degrees Fahrenheit. At noon the temperature climbed to a balmy 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Today's high temperature is predicted to rise all the way up to double digits, plus 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Personally, I have always hated winter. :evil:

FastDoc
12-10-2009, 02:08 PM
I hate winter too, but I've been banned from moving back to Kalifornia because of political reasons. 8)

Actually, my winters here are usually OK, but Al Gore's promises of global warming have turned out to be lies. Our warming here is inadequate for motorcycling. :cry:

We hit -5 at my house Monday AM, today it went down to 0, highs in the 20's. This is about 20+ degrees colder than normal for this time of year.

On the plus side, Spud, we live in God's country. Healthy clean, uncrowded unpolluted mountains. Just look at the pic you posted in the DS forum. What could be prettier? :D

SpudRider
12-10-2009, 02:55 PM
I hate winter too, but I've been banned from moving back to Kalifornia because of political reasons. 8) ...
California is a beautiful place. However, I could never live in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, no matter how mild the climate. ;)
...Actually, my winters here are usually OK, but Al Gore's promises of global warming have turned out to be lies. Our warming here is inadequate for motorcycling. :cry: ...
What a con man! :evil:
...On the plus side, Spud, we live in God's country. Healthy clean, uncrowded unpolluted mountains. Just look at the pic you posted in the DS forum. What could be prettier? :D
Amen, brother Bill!

konkermotors
12-10-2009, 02:57 PM
That's a nice video. Smile I thought the KSM200 was a supermoto with 17" wheels? Is Konker Motors also selling the dual sport version of this motorcycle?

thanks Spud, Glad you like the VID -and now's my chance for a plug!! ;)

The KSM200 comes with the 17" supermoto tires, however you can buy a set of 21/18" on/off-road tires made by Kenda for $600.00 CDN. That includes the Rubber, Rims, Spokes, Hubs, Front Disc, and Rear Sprocket. Making it easy to go "Axel Out, Wheels IN" - i've done the change my self and it takes approx 25mins - and your in the dirt.

Supermoto tires on weekdays, and Enduro Tires on weekends.

konkermotors
12-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Fast Doc - curious - what did you get banned from kalifornia for? are you serious? not a fan of the Terminator?

FastDoc
12-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Nice riding, BTW. You'd sure leave me in the dust. :D

SpudRider
12-10-2009, 03:18 PM
That's a nice video. :) I thought the KSM200 was a supermoto with 17" wheels? Is Konker Motors also selling the dual sport version of this motorcycle?
thanks Spud, Glad you like the VID -and now's my chance for a plug!! ;)

The KSM200 comes with the 17" supermoto tires, however you can buy a set of 21/18" on/off-road tires made by Kenda for $600.00 CDN. That includes the Rubber, Rims, Spokes, Hubs, Front Disc, and Rear Sprocket. Making it easy to go "Axel Out, Wheels IN" - i've done the change my self and it takes approx 25mins - and your in the dirt.

Supermoto tires on weekdays, and Enduro Tires on weekends.
Indeed, that is a nice feature. :) I think I might do the same thing with my YamaZong. After making a Yamaha XT225 swingarm conversion, I now have 18-inch wheels on both the front, and rear, of my Zongshen motorcycle. I might switch to 50/50 dual sport tires for riding in the winter months. :)

I have also acquired several 21-inch front wheels for my motorcycle; therefore, I can switch to the larger wheel, and more aggressive tires, when the trails open in the spring. :D