PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever...

makenzie71
01-07-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm considering picking up a bike along these lines:

http://lubbock.craigslist.org/mcy/1541982327.html

And putting a CR250R engine (bored 274cc with 12:1 piston, full FMF exhaust, 44mm Keihin carb) in it. Running HID lighting kit (bolts right in) I'll be in business. Will make approximately 74rwhp...of course it'll only have a 50 hour life between rebuilds but oh well. Also considering trading that engine off for a slightly less modified RZ350 engine (steel jugs...CHEAP rebuilds).

It just sounds like nasty fun.

FastDoc
01-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Not recommended.

I'd had similar ideas in the past of putting a two stroke dirt bike engine in a small streetbike but this would be the wrong bike to do it in. A Lifanoid's frame stiffness and suspension are very marginal at 55 MPH (The only way that bike would go as fast as the seller says is in freefall).

Your idea has merit, but I'd look for a 250 Ninja with a blown motor or wrecked bodywork and start there. If you are going to do it get something that will also stop and turn.

As a person who recently survived a bad motorcycle wreck, you do want the best bike you can.

FastDoc
01-07-2010, 04:53 PM
BTW, I used to race an RZ 350.

makenzie71
01-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Structural rigidity is not a concern...some areas will be weak and need to be reinforced...and none of the suspension, brakes, or wheels will remain (swingarm "might" stay depending on clearance). I guess that's key stuff that needs to be mentioned.

FastDoc
01-07-2010, 05:35 PM
It could be done but its not an ideal starting point, IMHO. Maybe an old Interceptor 500? Ninja 250? EX 500? FZ 600? ZZR? Heck maybe even a Buell Blast. It's a cool idea, but a bit like putting a big block Chevy in a Daihatsu. What happens when you need to turn or stop?

Those Lifanoid streetbikes really are not good machines, even by CB standards, and I've had experiance with them.

YMMV

makenzie71
01-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Unless the basic geometry of the bike prevents it from turning, I can't see how handling will be an issue. The suspension, brakes, wheels...all will be replaced (looking at either F2 CBR or ZZR600 donor bikes).

FastDoc
01-07-2010, 06:30 PM
We's love to see the process and the results. Please post pictures as you go. Sounds like a fun project. :D

katoranger
01-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Its your money. I don't think we will talk you out of it. It sounds to me like you are looking for a cheap titled frame to start a custom project.

The ninja 250 is a MUCH better starting point for hardly any more money.

Allen

makenzie71
01-07-2010, 07:26 PM
It's not about money...actually, it's about a lack of it :)

I have a Lifan roller coming in that cost nothing.

I have a CR250R that I don't ride because I'm not much of an off-roader.

I have lots of suspension parts and wheels.

Total project = minimal investment.

katoranger
01-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Even if you can do it for cheap the lifan frame is very suspect to cracks and structural weakness. With only 16hp they have cracked and failed. The street versions have had more issues than the dual sports.

Now if you have fab skills and equipment it would be possible to do what you want. I would gusset/reinforce the frame, check ALL the welds, choose different wheels/BRAKES, etc.

DON"t use the stock rear wheel. You will shear the hub with the first release of the clutch.

Also the swingarm/mount will not hold that torque.

We are just trying to save your skin from a folded up frame.

Allen

makenzie71
01-07-2010, 10:16 PM
I can reinforce the swingarm mount...could even build a tubular single side swingarm and run my old RC30 wheel (17X4 magnesium)...depending on how the frame is made. I don't mind reinforcing but would hate to have to add an entire beam for the sake of suspension mounting, but this lifan has a paralever suspension on the back so it should be alright.

Yeah it does seem like a "hassle" for something akin to the value of the Lifan...but, in the end it'll be something different all together. It'll be a 325lb, rev-happy single dropping 70hp. For the same of "my" toy there's going to be an $800 rear wheel...but running a GS500 wheel would be simpler and cheaper on a duplicate. No including labor (I don't charge myself labor) I'll have about $400 invested in it (again, not counting that wheel).

The real kicker is power ratios nearly matching new SS 600's on a bike that'll cost $16/year to insure (liability only).