PDA

View Full Version : zong goes offroading

fishman10
04-23-2010, 01:14 PM
So instead of just sticking to the forest gravel roads,I tried to tackle one of the mountains i conquered as a kid.Lets just say i aint a kid anymore and failed and went down on the nasty rocks.In the first pic you can see the mountain in the distance, in the second is the trail up the mountain up close and the 3rd pic is the damage pic..http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad328/fishman10/pinehill001.jpg (http://s948.photobucket.com/albums/ad328/fishman10/?action=view&current=pinehill001.jpg) http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad328/fishman10/pinehill002.jpg (http://s948.photobucket.com/albums/ad328/fishman10/?action=view&current=pinehill002.jpg) http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad328/fishman10/pinehill003.jpg (http://s948.photobucket.com/albums/ad328/fishman10/?action=view&current=pinehill003.jpg)

fishman10
04-23-2010, 01:28 PM
The metal plate mount for my whitney trunk is bent pretty good and my folding mirror folded and needs an adjustment and the rightside zong handguard pulled out over the bolt and got scuffed and my right knee is pretty sore from smashing on a rock.I will stick to the mild stuff from now on.That hill is only about 1000 ft and I made it to about 100yds. from the top and probably could have made it ,but after the fall I was hurtin and soaked with sweat and no one knew were I was ,so I decided to get out of there, before the buzzards that were overhead feasting on me! Not sure if the pics do justice to how nasty rocky and rutted this pipeline was.It seemed easier when I did it when I was 20.

FastDoc
04-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Looks like you lucked out on the damage. Should be easy to fix for free.

Technical rocky ascents like that are tough on any bike, especially a small dualsport. Q and I have done more than our share, and sometimes we've barely made it so I'm backing off on my maximal technical ascents in the future. Leave them to the expert riders on their high performance bikes. Or ATV's :D .

Great pics, thanks for posting them. :D

TurboT
04-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Sorry to hear about the knee and the bike. I think you made a wise choice to head home unsuccesful and alive, instead of buzzard food.

It sucks figuring out we're getting old...but good on you for trying. I have one of those high powered hill climbing bikes, however I'm a sissy and stay away from the rocky climbs.

FastDoc
04-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Getting old has its downsides but it's better than dying young which is the only alternative. 8)

The good news is at least we get smarter, although weaker, slower, and thicker. :lol:

Maybe you need to add an ATV to your stable? My simple 250cc 2WD Kawasaki would walk right up that like it was crossing a crack in the sidewalk. 8)

SpudRider
04-24-2010, 12:20 AM
It sounds as if the Zong will be easy to repair; it is a tough little bike. ;) However, I certainly hope your knee is okay! 8O You were wise to head home when you did. ;) Thank you for posting your ride report, and the beautiful photos from Pennsylvania. :)

Spud :)

AZ200cc
04-24-2010, 12:35 AM
I msut be the rare old fart who would go back and try again :D That looks like a fun hill to play around on....Good challenge.

Weldangrind
04-24-2010, 02:10 AM
I msut be the rare old fart who would go back and try again :D That looks like a fun hill to play around on....Good challenge.

That's exactly what I was thinking. :lol:

That said, I can't bear the thought of buzzards sitting around my bleached bones, burping.

SpudRider
04-24-2010, 02:25 AM
...I can't bear the thought of buzzards sitting around my bleached bones, burping.
You conjured up some fascinating, visual imagery with that comment, WG! :lol:

Spud :)

TurboT
04-24-2010, 02:45 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking. :lol:

That said, I can't bear the thought of buzzards sitting around my bleached bones, burping.

HAha.. that was funny.

Don't worry mate, when you get out there and do something meant for the young guys, I'll haul your sorry broken ass out of the woods and make sure the bears and buzzards don't get any satisfying burps. It's what friends do. 8)

fishman10
04-24-2010, 08:42 AM
i may try again,but would have to be a different bike with better suspension,But then i wouldn't be able to touch the ground,and That was a helpful feature of the zong.Fastdoc ,the last time I conquered that mountain was in 2007 aboard my 2007 CanAm outlander max 800 xt, sadly I lost it in the divorce,along with my truck,house,tractor,guns,etc.,,etc,,,,,

phil
04-24-2010, 02:50 PM
i could let you borrow my lf110, its a great workout most of the places you have to straddle it and push, sometimes it even helps you

FastDoc
04-26-2010, 11:11 AM
i may try again,but would have to be a different bike with better suspension,But then i wouldn't be able to touch the ground,and That was a helpful feature of the zong.Fastdoc ,the last time I conquered that mountain was in 2007 aboard my 2007 CanAm outlander max 800 xt, sadly I lost it in the divorce,along with my truck,house,tractor,guns,etc.,,etc,,,,,

I am VERY FAMILIAR with divorce related loss, but trust me it is worth it!

I've not lost any toys though, but the house is on the market, I will lose that. Mostly what it's meant for me is I work on what used to be my day off and I don't think I'll ever retire.

I'm cool with that. 8)

AZ200cc
04-26-2010, 11:33 AM
You're supposed to wind the bike out until the motor blows before the divorce, Or drain the oil and let it idle. :D

But yah that mightbe a bit more than the ol Chinabike can handle without problems....But there are other hills to be conquered.

katoranger
04-26-2010, 01:14 PM
The chinabike probably wouldn't sieze though.

Doc, Sounds like you just need a shower at the hanger. :wink:

fishman10
04-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Fastdoc , I will probably have to work till I drop also, cause she also got a nice chunk of my pension and 401k, the state of pennsylvania is very generous to women.It didn't help me that the judge was a women.I had to sell the can-am cause i owed money on it and was trying to get out from under all my payments.Zong got its first oil change and it had about a half teaspoon of granular metal bits on the screen.On a side note the harley will probably have to go now also,due to a 15% wage concession now being negotiated between the teamsters and ABF, it seems just when i get my head slightly above water,someone ties a cinder block to my leg!