PDA

View Full Version : Turnigy Micro Video Cam onboard my Beast

waynev
04-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Well from the "Technology" thread i posted a link to this micro video camera i was going to buy, well i got it and it is very small, comes with a Sandisk 2GB micro SD card and i thought it took a pretty good vid, i had it clipped to my goggle strap, the wind played some havoc with the sound quality and would sometimes fade out when against the wind. All in all for $25 i think it's a great little recorder and i'm sure it will perform better on my RC airplane ( what it was intended for ) but with a proper mount it would probably be a cheap helmet cam too and next time i'll try to keep my head from jumping around so much.

The original file was 264Mb but i had to convert it down to 26Mb to save time uploading to photobucket.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10093&Product_Name=Turnigy_highrate_30FPS_Ultra-small_Digital_Camera_W/_2GB_SanDisk_Micro_SD__

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/waynebrandy/100_1527.jpg

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/waynebrandy/th_GIO.jpg (http://s646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/waynebrandy/?action=view&current=GIO.flv)

Cal25
04-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Thats pretty good. Way better than I was expecting. Cant wait for the arial vids!

TurboT
04-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Good vid for $25!

Hard to keep your head from jumping around with the Beast suspension anyhow. :)

I need some land... got a kick out of the dog too, my idiot runs right and front of me and slows down, looking back to see if I'm still coming.

FastDoc
04-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Beautiful property. My neighbor has a dog with the same habit. One of us is gonna get hurt someday... :roll:

waynev
04-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Well it's not my property, it's at a friends farm, same place we built all those microsprints at in his shop, it's great place to ride though, just a 1 min ride to his bush, there's lots of trails in the bush and lots of swampy areas too for the days you feel like getting really muddy.
I'm pretty happy with the video qualitly too, i'll clip it on to one of my planes next time i'm out flying.

MICRider
04-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Excellent video quality! Your Beast purrs like a kitten, sounds a lot better than mine. Be awesome to see some aerial vids when your flying :)

waynev
04-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Your Beast purrs like a kitten, sounds a lot better than mine.

Yeah, it took some time and pints to get it that way, it also sounds great with that monster muffler on it, the engine is still a bit rich though as i haven't rejetted for the warmer weather yet, based on yesterday i'm thinking 3rd gear wheelies, it was almost carrying it yesterday, a little rejetting and i think it will hold it.

Weldangrind
04-29-2010, 02:03 AM
That's a great score for the price! How did you clip it to your goggles? How do you activate it?

waynev
04-29-2010, 08:11 AM
That's a great score for the price! How did you clip it to your goggles? How do you activate it?

If you look at the link you will see the accesories it comes with, one of them is a clip that mounts to the camera, i just used that clip to mount it to my goggle strap right where the strap met the goggle frame. The camera is either sound activated or i can do it manually, it also takes pictures and does sound clips.

SpudRider
04-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Thats pretty good. Way better than I was expecting. Cant wait for the arial vids!
X2! I am very impressed with that little, $25 video camera. :)

Spud :)

Cal25
06-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Did you ever get around to hooking it up to one of your planes?

waynev
06-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Not Yet, got a free hot tub so i've been busy getting it up and working 100%, maybe this weekend i'll send up one of my planes for a flight with it on-board.

Weldangrind
06-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Do you plan to send up a plane from the comfort of your new hot tub? That would be epic. :lol:

waynev
06-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Do you plan to send up a plane from the comfort of your new hot tub? That would be epic. :lol:

Unfortunatley there is too many trees around to do so from the comfort of the hot tub.
Boy i'm glad i'm handy, you don't get a 6 year old $10000 hot tub for free everyday, the person that gave it away was complaining about how much it was to get it fixed and they were tired of the upkeep costs, well......$50 for a new starter assembly on motor/pump #1 and a set of pump seals on pump #2 for a measly $30 and i'm up and running leak free, i couldn't find a box for the GFI that i got from them ( only comes as a spa pack) so i had to buy another, so all in all about $600 for everything including all electrical/conduit, 1st round of chemicals and parts, i like deals like that.

Weldangrind
06-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Good score!

If you need tech help, send me a PM. My Dad services them for a living.

SpudRider
06-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Good deal on the hot tub, Wayne! :) Free is always the best price. ;)

waynev
12-31-2010, 02:17 PM
OK, finally in the plane mood, almost done putting one of my Strykers together, this plane is a pusher and works well for my micro camera on the nose, did a hand fly around the workshop to make sure the nose cone would be in the frame, it is, so hopefully the rain holds off tomorrow and i'll try to get some good aerial vids, here's the quick workshop tour,

ps. my date is acting up again too, must try to reset it to the correct date/time.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/waynebrandy/th_SUNP0006.jpg (http://s646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/waynebrandy/?action=view&current=SUNP0006.mp4)

Weldangrind
12-31-2010, 03:13 PM
That was a really cool flight until King Kong grabbed the plane out of the air. :lol:

I spotted your Beast video, Wayne. How's your shoulder these days?

waynev
12-31-2010, 06:40 PM
That was a really cool flight until King Kong grabbed the plane out of the air. :lol:

Shoulder isn't too bad actually, just hurts the odd time if i stretch it too far or make a quick move, hopefully the weather gets a bit better so i can fly at the club tomorrow morning, good fly new years day, thay say it brings good luck.

FastDoc
12-31-2010, 06:57 PM

LMAO!

A Canadian King Kong! The most dangerous of all! I hope you get a flight in, Wayne. The weather here has been BEAUTIFUL but cold. No wind, bright sunshine, blue skies. If its similar by you, and it probably is, you'll have a great time. I assume your aircraft are also affected by density altitude?

waynev
01-01-2011, 09:59 AM
The weather here has been BEAUTIFUL but cold. No wind, bright sunshine, blue skies. If its similar by you, and it probably is, you'll have a great time. I assume your aircraft are also affected by density altitude?

The weather here is crap, 6C yesterday, 7C today with rain and fog, no flying today, plus all my snow is almost gone, supposed to be -7C tonight though, it's going to be an icy frozen mess.

SpudRider
01-01-2011, 12:28 PM
The weather here has been BEAUTIFUL but cold. No wind, bright sunshine, blue skies. If its similar by you, and it probably is, you'll have a great time. I assume your aircraft are also affected by density altitude?

The weather here is crap, 6C yesterday, 7C today with rain and fog, no flying today, plus all my snow is almost gone, supposed to be -7C tonight though, it's going to be an icy frozen mess.
I'm sorry about your bad weather, Wayne. The ice is treacherous for both drivers, and pedestrians; many elderly people and handicapped people get seriously injured falling on ice. :( Winter stinks.

waynev
01-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Well -5C and quite windy today, i still managed to get to the shop and get my plane up for a test flight to trim it out, once trimmed i swapped batteries and put the Turnigy Micro Video Camera onboard and put it up for a short flight, a hawk flew by on take off, i tried chasing him and caught him a few times in the frame but it's hard to judge when your not in the pilots seat, anyways here's the vid, it turned out OK, the white specs are snow throughout the vid, i think that pause i get about 1/2 way in is becuase i had it set to voice activated and it stopped and started again because the sound level was over 85db, on the second flight it just stopped.
As you can see all my snow is gone, and yes that's my poor old sled out behind the shop, lotsa ice in the fields though, i think a warm day in my town would be better content and easier on my hands, enjoy.

Stryker ready for action
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/waynebrandy/100_1632.jpg

The flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Dq922dBJk

The original vid looks better then the youtube version, not sure why when uploaded to youtube it looks pixely, especially in full screen mode, any ideas?.

waynev
01-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Round 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WAm6QSGNMc

Both landings sound rough in the vid but they were actually quite gentle landings into the corn stalks.

jape
01-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Thanks for those! You are getting me seriously interested, enough to do some Googling about this hobby!
Range? Flight time?
Could you prop the camera a touch higher to clear the nose or would that affect aerodynamics? And have you tried a sock over the mike to stop the wind noise?

waynev
01-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Thanks for those! You are getting me seriously interested, enough to do some Googling about this hobby!
Range? Flight time?
Could you prop the camera a touch higher to clear the nose or would that affect aerodynamics? And have you tried a sock over the mike to stop the wind noise?

I thought about mounting the camera so the nose didn't show, but i thought it gave some reference to the plane, next time i will put some foam in there to help quite the wind noise, but it was very windy today. As for range, i'm using a Hitec Optic 6 radio and the Hitec Electron 6 reciever on the 72Mhz frequency, it's about 1.5 mile-1.75 mile range, way beyond being able to actually see the plane.
That plane above ( Parkzone Stryker) is what i learned to fly on, took quite awhile to get the hang of the delta wings flying characteristics, but once mastered my regular winged planes were a breeze to master, it came as a ready to fly kit for $200, the new ones are brushless motor powered and are a bit more, my first one was 5-6min flights, now with the LIPO batteries you can get 10-20 min no problem with some throttle control, the nice part about learning to fly one of these is the full replacement wing is only around $30, but beleive me i had tons of CA glue and packing tape on my 1st one to repair all the damage and it still flew good.

Weldangrind
01-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Wayne, that was so cool! Thanks for the vid. :D

jape
01-02-2011, 06:56 PM
The one I found in Aus was about $500 with the tx/rx which is a bit much for me, but I will start soon with something, looks like too much fun to miss! My niece's BF has big RC helicopters, not the small front-room ones so may have some contacts for me.

Any frequencies work better with trees around? I live in the bush and the neighbours that have the 18 and 19yr old granddaughters and their friends at their swimming pool all holiday have far too many trees!!!!

I noticed the wind noise a lot on an earlier driveway video (spy sunglasses) on CR with a motorbike, so if you could lose that this device would be an excellent camera set-up for bike as well as plane!

FastDoc
01-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Great video! I love to watch people fly R/C but I don't have the right stuff to do it myself. I flew the Maule to Kalifornia and back this weekend though, but I had the advantage of the cockpit seat and the instruments!

FastDoc
01-02-2011, 07:19 PM
BTW I've had harder landings than that one :oops: . Looked smooth, slow, and short. :D

Cal25
01-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the vids. Worth the wait!
I am in the process of building a RC sailboat. Been thinking of an electric sailplane and now I'm even more interested!

waynev
01-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Any frequencies work better with trees around? I live in the bush and the neighbours that have the 18 and 19yr old granddaughters and their friends at their swimming pool all holiday have far too many trees!!!!

I noticed the wind noise a lot on an earlier driveway video (spy sunglasses) on CR with a motorbike, so if you could lose that this device would be an excellent camera set-up for bike as well as plane!

Nope, trees don't matter, it's best to fly above them though. On page 1 of this thread there's a vid of this same camera strapped to my googles riding my 200cc Beast, once again it was a windy day and you could really hear it in the vid as well.

waynev
01-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Glad you all enjoyed the vids, next time i'll pick a sunny day and adjust the camera so less of the nose it in the shot.

waynev
01-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Great video! but I had the advantage of the c--- seat and the instruments!

Well the new radio i just bought supports their new telemetry system, so i too can have instrumentation on the readout of my radio, like fuel level, altitude, speed, rpm, temperature, etc.

http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=hit5830

They say the hardest thing for a full size pilot learning RC is when the plane is coming back towards them.

SpudRider
01-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Thank you for posting the great videos, Wayne! The camera has wonderful resolution. :D

waynev
02-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Thank you for posting the great videos, Wayne! The camera has wonderful resolution. :D

I think i need to check out this FPV stuff ( first person view ), where you wear goggles and see the view from the camera mounted on the plane, here's a darn fine example of some sweet FPV work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9L4phs1owA&feature=player_profilepage

jape
02-04-2011, 08:03 PM
what a great video! I hope you do get into that. That guy can really fly, amazing to think he could judge the gaps and distance using FPV, especially through the cranes and the slalom!
I am sure I saw a deer jump away in one of the shots too. What an incredible range, surely a couple of miles? Keep 'em coming please, meanwhile I am going back to the youtube 'related videos' for an hour ...

Weldangrind
02-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Wayne, that was so cool! You need one.