PDA

View Full Version : Registering in Montana and bonded titles

CBRN
06-16-2010, 05:31 PM
So I have a 2005 Shineray 200GY that I just registered and applied for a bonded title. The reason for the title is a long story of which I won't go into. Anyway here's what I did to get the title and get it registered in Montana.

First I had to apply for the bonded title to get the registration. To get the title:
1. If the bike is worth more than $500 then you need to call your insurance company for a Surety Bond. It will cost about $100; you can get next day shipping if you need it right away.
2. Call your local police department to have them swing by to fill out form MV20 which is a VIN inspection form. You can get the form from the DMV or download it from the state's website.
3. Fill out form MV10 which is an affidavit for a bonded title. Don't sign the form yet.
4. Get form MV10 notorized; this is when you'll sign it.
5. Bring all the above forms and bond to the DMV and they will submit the application.

To register:

1. If you want to ride the bike on the street then you need to fill out form MV70 which is a Motorcyle/Quad inspection checklist. Basically you sign the document swearing that your vehicle fulfills all the necessary requirements that make it road legal; they don't actually check the bike though.
2. Take form MV70 to the DMV, pay the fee and they give you your plate.

I got all the forms I mentioned above from: http://www.doj.mt.gov/driving/forms.asp

Also I registered and applied for the bonded title the same day. So you don't need the bonded title for the registration; you just need to have submitted the application. OK thats it, any questions?

Cal25
06-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Good info!

ecabo
06-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Do you have to pay for the surety bond with your insurance company every year, in addition to your annual insurance premium?

CBRN
06-16-2010, 07:35 PM
No you just pay it one time. Its basically good for three years because after three years you won't need it because Montana will then issue you a clean and clear title.

CBRN
06-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks Cal25!

SpudRider
06-18-2010, 12:56 AM
Thank you for posting the good information, CBRN! :)

Spud :)