PDA

View Full Version : HELP - New Back Wheel Needed

MonkeyPaw2u
08-23-2010, 03:04 PM
SO I was out for a ride yesterday... and the rear sprocket literally tore away from the rear wheel of the bike. I have a back wheel that now has gaping holes where the sprocket mounts used to be and chain that is hanging.

The chain seems to be undamaged but I don't know if the sprocket can be re-used or not and I am sure that I need a new back wheel.

I need to know if I can get a replacement rear wheel and if so what brand/style is going to be most compatible with this bike. I have heard that the Phoenix Hensim Baja 250cc is a Honda Rebel knock off, but want to know if the rear wheel of a Rebel is an option or not.

This is emergency, as this is my only mode of transportation at this time.

Please advise.

Thanks.

katoranger
08-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Do you have pictures? Here is a link to a honda rebel parts diagram.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1986-honda-motorcycle-cmx250c-rebel/o/m10724

eyebyte
11-29-2010, 08:09 PM
SO I was out for a ride yesterday... and the rear sprocket literally tore away from the rear wheel of the bike. I have a back wheel that now has gaping holes where the sprocket mounts used to be and chain that is hanging.

The chain seems to be undamaged but I don't know if the sprocket can be re-used or not and I am sure that I need a new back wheel.

I need to know if I can get a replacement rear wheel and if so what brand/style is going to be most compatible with this bike. I have heard that the Phoenix Hensim Baja 250cc is a Honda Rebel knock off, but want to know if the rear wheel of a Rebel is an option or not.

This is emergency, as this is my only mode of transportation at this time.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Same thing happened to me. I was able to bolt it back together. I did have to go back to the place I bought it and get more bolts but one hole is messed up, two others were partially damaged and the last was relatively un harmed (go figure). I still ride it that way today (that was about 8 months). Chain undamaged, all other parts were OK.

The way I figure is that the assemblers did not properly torque these down as I have not had a problem since I did (even in their partially damaged state).

Weldangrind
11-29-2010, 10:17 PM
It might be wise to upgrade the bolts to something a little stronger. Similar to how SAE bolts have grades stamped on the head, so do metric bolts. Look for at least 8.8, but 9.8 or 10.6 would be better. Loctite is your friend.

SpudRider
11-29-2010, 11:48 PM
It might be wise to upgrade the bolts to something a little stronger. Similar to how SAE bolts have grades stamped on the head, so do metric bolts. Look for at least 8.8, but 9.8 or 10.6 would be better. Loctite is your friend.
X2. Also, some riders prefer to use nyloc nuts on the sprocket bolts. ;)

Spud :)