PDA

View Full Version : Montana registration--done!

TheOtherRide
04-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Just curious what other states charge for registration...check this out:

Montana Motorcycle Registration Fees
Flat fee for street-legal use only: $53.25
Flat fee for both street-legal and off-highway use: $114.50
Motorcycle Safety Fee: $16
Montana Highway Patrol Salary and Retention Fund: $5
New Issue plate: $5
The Motorcycle Safety Fee goes directly into funding motorcycle safety training courses, whereas the Montana Highway Patrol Salary and Retention Fund assists the Highway Patrol in maintaining appropriate manpower numbers.

Plus $12 for the title. Yikes! Hopefully they'll let me skip the off-highway use fee-- $91.25 instead of $152.50.

I'll have to ride the darn thing to make up in gas what I spend on registration!

justjoe
04-09-2007, 05:56 PM
WOW Paulie that's Steep!

Jersey is $28.50 for Reg and $20 for title one time(and 7% sales tax)

Are those fees annual or one time?

Joe V

TheOtherRide
04-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Good question, Joe--Whew! It's a one-time fee. Is your $28.50 yearly?

justjoe
04-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Yep the 28.50 is yearly Registration fee.

Still wait'n for my bike!

Jim
04-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Wow that is pretty steep, I dont remeber what mine cost to register here in BC, but the year of insurance, new lisence fee, and all that was 370. Should be less next year with no lisence fee and such.

Akonababe
04-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Here is Hawaii it is $57.50 for a motorcyle each year plus a 5.50 fee for a safety sticker. Which seems fair to me.

madmaximum
04-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Pa registration for a bike is 18 bucks, no matter what the bike.

TheOtherRide
04-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Whoo hoo! That's the fastest dealings I've EVER had with the government! Walked into the DMV with my MCO, filled out the Inspection sheet (one page to make sure you have all the street legal goodies--on the honor system, mind you, no actual inspection 8O ), paid $90 for PERMANENT plates (they even let me choose from what plates they had), and was out of there in 10 minutes.

Suave is going to hate me...wish it was this easy for everyone...

mdsuave13
04-19-2007, 06:59 PM
arggggghhh haha

i havent been back to the MVA yet (for the 3rd time)

but i think i will be ok for this next trip, i have triple checked all my paperwork to make sure it is correct! :)

Jim
04-19-2007, 11:52 PM
Pauli, congrats :)

Suave, good luck

SamM
04-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Wow, That's steep! I'll probably not have $100 in mine, with a years worth of insurance tacked on.

Taxes $40
License fee $12
Doc stamp $5

I'm glad you got it taken care of! Good for you! My MCO came today. I'll be going to the DMV on Wednesday.

TheOtherRide
04-21-2007, 12:11 AM
Hey, Sam--
What plates did you have on that thing, anyway? LOL Looks like you have an annual registration vs. my permanent. I got away without paying the off-road fee (I was 'armed' with bike pics, just in case of...anything, but the gal didn't bat an eyelash). The only place I would consider off-road is my mom's farm anyway...don't see hill-climbing on BLM land in my future.

SamM
04-21-2007, 01:43 AM
Pauli,
That's the plate off my Yamaha Zuma scooter. I sold it to pumpkin last year just after I renewed the plate. I just stuck it on there to see who would notice my bike was already plated!http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/lol8.gif We can't get permanent plates here in WV. Yeah, when you add up all the years, I'll be paying! Your's is a better deal, huh! It just seemed expensive to me. Never heard of an off-road fee? Every place here is off-road. They don't care where you ride them here, as long as you pay. Hope they don't get wind of that off-road fee. Next, I'll be paying that!

We pay personal property tax every year on whatever we have licensed too! It can be expensive depending on what you drive. You get a 2 year break then you have to pay! It's not as bad as it sounds. This year, I'll be paying on my 2005 KTM 950 fr the first time. It's only a percentage of the book value. Still a ripoff though. Scumbag politicians! I have an old 1998 Buell S1W that I parted out a few years ago. I never sold the frame, so guess what? Yep, still paying taxes on it! I think it was a whopping $5 last year. My wife pays that crap, because I always freakout at the tax office! I paid something like $600 a year when I had my Dodge Diesel pickup. Scumbag politicians! Did I say that already?!http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/icon10.gif

I'll never own a Porsche! Scumbag poli... http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/bncry.gif

Later,
Sam

PS: Glad you got it all legal! Mine will be soon!
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3157/img1379hh1.jpg

justjoe
04-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Hey Guys

I confess I did the same thing as Sam,I have the plates from my recently departed'82 Yamaha XJ 750 maxim on my viva just so's I can tool around the neighborhood for test rides

TheOtherRide
04-21-2007, 12:14 PM
I've just been going commando...er, plateless! I've never seen a cop in our subdivision (which is somewhere between a trailer park and a real subdivision). And if I did see a cop, I'd outrun 'em on my bike...if he was on foot! Then I'd give 'em a CN roundhouse! Hehehehe, it's Saturday!

culcune
04-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Scumbag politicians! Did I say that already?!

In Las Vegas, there is no state income tax. Arizona's loss will be, well, no one's gain when I move north to sin city...