PDA

View Full Version : I'm out of the collective, again....

FastDoc
01-14-2011, 12:01 PM
The Zong is sold. $100 net loss so I'm OK with that :?

It was a good learning experiance. Anyone want a brand new Zong CDI, coil, or stator?

Weldangrind
01-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Sounds like the easiest (and cheapest) move.

I'll bet the young man in Croatia would like those items, but shipping would be brutal.

Cal25
01-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Did you get the KLX?

FastDoc
01-14-2011, 01:24 PM
No, not yet. Just thinking about it. I'm going through some miserable work and divorce stress and have a little $ and fogure I deserve a consolation prize.

We switched to an electronic medical record at work which is a magnificent POS. It eats time, wastes money, and reduced my quality of life in more ways than I can put into writing. Maybe a KLX would help.

Q for sale..... :wink:

MICRider
01-15-2011, 08:01 AM
If you have the money to spare I think you would be very happy with the KLX. Tossing around the idea of getting one myself but my garage is getting a little crowded :D

Cheers,
Stew

nukeman99
01-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Hey Doc, sorry about your loss man. It was a great learning experience like you say. We have all been there, more than once.
So tell me., did all those electrical parts fix the weak spark issue you were having? I still have the same weak spark with mine and it only has 426 miles on it....pretty sad for a fairly new machine that doesnt run.....what are you trying to get for the parts?
regards, Bobby

FastDoc
01-17-2011, 11:55 PM
The spark was fine when I was done, it was the compression. I think the CDI stator and coil cost me about $100. I'd be happy for $40 for the 3 of them.

I actually still have the bike, I've not had the time to trailer it over to the bike shop to close the deal.

fishman10
01-18-2011, 04:21 PM
doc ,i wonder if those parts would also fit my zong sierra? ,maybe spud will chime in ,, if they do I'm very interested.

FastDoc
01-18-2011, 04:23 PM
doc ,i wonder if those parts would also fit my zong sierra? ,maybe spud will chime in ,, if they do I'm very interested.

I'm 99% certain they will but maybe you want to send a PM to the SpudMeister.

nukeman99
01-18-2011, 04:25 PM
So Doc, let me just clarify this info,........youre saying that the spark was fine (before) you changed the stator,coil and cdi out?
Or was the spark corrected once those parts were changed out then finding out the compression was weak as well?
I may just be reading into it wrong. Ill be glad to take those parts off your hands if it will correct my weak spark. Mine is definetely weak without a doubt! Let me know,
thanks Bobby

fishman10
01-18-2011, 04:34 PM
bobby was first,,, but if he doesn't I do

FastDoc
01-18-2011, 05:11 PM
So Doc, let me just clarify this info,........youre saying that the spark was fine (before) you changed the stator,coil and cdi out?
Or was the spark corrected once those parts were changed out then finding out the compression was weak as well?
I may just be reading into it wrong. Ill be glad to take those parts off your hands if it will correct my weak spark. Mine is definetely weak without a doubt! Let me know,
thanks Bobby

I went from almost no visible spark to what I would consider a fair one. Since all the spark generating parts were new and correctly installed I have to say that 'fair' is as good as it gets and normal for this particular bike.

If you buy my parts and need to replace the stator you will need a new gasket also. It was cheap from Spud, around $5, but I'd guess you can also get one at the local Yamaha dealer. I also have a new sending unit/sensor that The Collective sold me. Bear in mind that the new sender and stator are oily because they were in the bike a little while, although it never ran with them they are immersed in oil in their natural position.

If you want them Bobby send me a PM and I'll get them out to you if $40 seems fair.

Bill

SpudRider
01-20-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm glad you got most of your money back, Doc. We all learned a lot from your experience with this motorcycle. :)

If my memory is correct, the 250GS wiring diagram is different from the 200GY-2 wiring diagram. Therefore, I believe the 250GS CDI unit and pickup coil are different from the 200GY-2 CDI unit and pickup coil. I wouldn't buy these parts for a 200GY-2, Fish. ;) However, I think Bobby is getting a great deal on these parts for his 250GS motorcycle. :)

Spud :)

nukeman99
01-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Hey Doc,. i sent you a PM regarding those parts the other day.Ive been waiting to hear back from you. Did you get my message? Im interested in buying all the electrical parts you mentioned. Please let me know so we can get together on shipping and payment asap.! . Thanks
Bobby 1:31pm Jan22nd

FastDoc
01-22-2011, 10:06 PM
I never got the PM. try again, I'm happy to sell them to you. If there's a problem I'll also PM you.

Bill

nukeman99
01-27-2011, 02:03 AM
Hey Doc,.. Would like to verify that i want all the parts you mentioned and the price is fair. I have sent 3 PM's but apparently there is a glitch in the reply post?
I will send payment through paypal for fast shipping. What would the time frame be to Myrtle Beach,SC 29588?
Also, where might one aquire the proper tools for removal of the stator assembly? I do have a flywheel puller but not a spanner wrench.? Any info on this would greatly be appreciated Im so excited about breathing life back into the ZONGSHEN!!!! . Thanks So much,
Bobby 2:00am thursday morning

FastDoc
01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
I gave a list of tools in my PM to you, I hope it went through....

No flywheel puller needed. You just need some sockets (deep well for one bolt ad I recall) and metric Allen wrenches a soldering iron and some shrink tubing and a heat source and a gasket to install the stator.

I'll give you my phone number to talk you through any troble you may run into, it's really an easy job if you take your time.

I'll ship as soon as the Paypal goes through. :D

nukeman99
01-28-2011, 06:38 AM
Hey Doc,.. wanted to let you know i sent a Pm with my addy on it and also that you should have recieved the paypal payment as of yesterday Jan 28th 2:30pm
Let me know, thanks Doc/.

FastDoc
01-28-2011, 04:03 PM
The parts shipped out early this morning. Let me know when you are ready for the install and call me on the phone I'll talk you through it.

nukeman99
01-29-2011, 01:56 AM
Thanks Doc,.. i appreciate your promptness on the parts. Something must really be wrong with the Pm thing,..?
Will i need a new gasket for the stator or could i use the old one? The bike only has 400 miles on it, shame to say.
Im having difficulty ditsinguishing the time difference between what the site says you sent the Pm and when i got it? Doesnt even make sense.. where on earth are you located..lol Didnt think there was but only a 3 hour time diff in here and Cali? Thanks Doc,.... got a tracking number for me so ill know when to expect it? Bobby 1:56am saturday morning

nukeman99
01-29-2011, 02:00 AM
Says you sent me the message at 7:03am saturday 29th.....How on earth could that be? It is 1:59am 29th saturday here.............. Lol im confused on the time zone? Help me out Doc..... 8O

Weldangrind
01-29-2011, 11:58 AM
nukeman99, maybe your profile settings need to be tweaked. Click on Profile at the top of the page, and scroll down to the time zone section.

As an example, I've set mine to GMT -8, which means I'm eight hours behind Greenwich Mean Time. That's the correct setting for the Pacific time zone during non-daylight savings. During daylight savings, the correct setting would be GMT -7.

Hope that helps.

katoranger
01-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Yes. I am -5 for the Eastern Time zone.

Allen

FastDoc
01-29-2011, 03:58 PM
We pilots use the same universal time setting, we call it Zulu. GMT.

nukeman99
01-31-2011, 03:22 AM
Thanks fellows for the info on the time zone....thought i was losing it there for a minute!! Doc,. do you have a tracking number so i can track when it should arrrive? Or did you send it through mail? Did you say youre a pilot? Awesome! I took an A&P course a few years back , i love being around airplanes!

FastDoc
01-31-2011, 11:30 AM
Sorry the tracking number is at the house and I never got arond to sending it to you. I will get it to you tonight but I would expect the package tomorrow.

I'm a private pilot, with a commercial rating, and certificates for single engine land and sea, and complex and high performance airplanes. I thought about getting my A&P (Airframe and Powerplant (mechanic))also, but never had the time. It is something I may wish to pursue when I 'retire'. :P

Bill