PDA

View Full Version : hot start lever

mizke
02-01-2011, 06:18 PM
these really are only going to be found on the name brand bikes and atv's.

i switched to a new headlight control and kill/start switch setup.. sadly it does not have a choke lever.. a hot start lever is like a choke lever that is clamped to the handle bars... and would work perfectly for me, id hate to loose my cable choke and have to do it by hand..

ejcycles
02-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Aftermarket "Hot Start Lever Assemblies" can be ordered from most any motorcycle shop that has aftermarket suppliers. Western Power sports carry them from SunLine & Works Connection, they retail for about $55.00. No not cheap, made from aircraft aluminum.

There is another option... go with a compression release lever. My distributor Dixie Int. carries two styles, a plastic one is $8.95, a steel one is $15.95 of course that's without shipping.

Either way you go you'll have to tighten the clamp area that holds the lever so the choke cable does not get pulled back by the spring on the carburetor.

I hope this helps.

mizke
02-02-2011, 07:48 PM
do you have a link or some pictures of the metal and plastic levers ? i didnt think to look for different types of levers due to not knowing their actual names..

ejcycles
02-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Hi mizke

No not right now, out of about 30 distributors that I use there is only 1 that carries just the lever assembly by itself. I'll have pics as soon as they come in, I had to order one of each to take pictures.

Yes some motorcycle parts distributors still don't have fully functional websites to view their products or all of their products, or even order on-line for the dealer. I being my age {48} still call in every order that I make.

ejcycles
02-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Hi mizke

I finally received those lever assemblies today... Yea they took a long time to get here, from Columbus, OH to Mantua, OH. I think they went snail mail via China... LOL

I'll get pictures & explanations of what to do {keeping them tight} to hold the cable in place. Sorry this took so long.

mizke
03-03-2011, 02:38 PM
not a problem man, take youre time. im still partly in the "gathering information" phase of the stuff i want to do while currently under taking the stuff i need to do for my quad. my head light rewire is going to take me a little while longer, then its on to getting my swingarm welded and then the time to buy parts comes. just awesome to know where to go to get them and very instrested in what the setup you are talking about looks like..

mizke
03-12-2011, 01:49 AM
i ordered up a cheap clutch perch with hot start lever for a 01-11 yz250 should have my choke problem solved and was the last peice to the new handle bar stuff