PDA

View Full Version : rear bearing carrier

sportsman450
02-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I have read that you should drill a hole in the rear axle aluminium bearing carrier for a grease zerk , not rocket science but does anyone have a picture of this . I assume that there are two sets of bearings in this housing (rt and lt side) but does anyone know if there is a center set of bearings , I don't want to find this out the hard way .

Sorry forgot to say the bike is GIO T3 Rebel 200cc ............ saw the sticky at the beginning of the forum , the bearing carrier is different on the T3 so I thought there was no harm in asking before I go ahead and drill ...........

mizke
02-07-2011, 01:38 PM
there is no center bearings, just one on each side.. there is a write up at the top of the atv forum page.. it should be in the very first sticky when you load the atv page

Weldangrind
02-07-2011, 02:25 PM
If yours is aluminum, it's likely the eccentric design, rather than the steel housing with primitive chain pullers.

Here's the thread: http://chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10680

Maybe you don't want to drill any holes until you dismantle the carrier and see what you're dealing with.

sportsman450
02-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I really don't want to have to dismantle the rear axle just yet , only 2 days old , but if someone has dismantled one or has put a grease zerk in the aluminium rear end bearing carrier I would really appreciate a pic and some guidance .............

mizke
02-07-2011, 03:56 PM
its pretty a straight forward to do, but since its only 2 days old. just ride it and enjoy it, then next winter tear it down for its winter maintence.. then over winter next year slowly take it apart.. by then your knowledge from this site will get you through it..

to fit a grease fitting.. you need to make sure to get a tap and dye kit.. metric... then metric grease fittings..get some quality drill bits and a decent harbor freight drill..find the right sized bit for the grease fitting.. drill the hole, find the right sized peice in ur tap and dye kit.. cut the threads, for every 1/4 turn during the cutting process back it off 1/8 and then do another 1/4 turn..

waynev
02-07-2011, 04:11 PM
When i put mine in my beast i just used the hammer in style grease nipples, drill a hole, hammer it in, done.

Brainsquishy
02-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Nice to meet you sportsman450. I think you may be looking for this. It's my T3 rear axle job.
http://chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9966&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=rear+end&start=0

Now, back to lurking..... :?

Weldangrind
02-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks for chiming in Brainsquishy; I couldn't remember whom else had one of these.

sportsman450
02-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks Brainsquishy that is exactly what I was looking for ...........

This should also be a sticky......

I just wanted to know if the grease fitting extends into the spacer tube between the bearings , I assume it shouldn't matter as it does not rotate . I plan on doing this mod to my bike without removing the axle do you forsee that being a problem when I go to fill the space with grease ........... the bike is only 2 days old

Brainsquishy
02-08-2011, 12:39 PM
My grease fitting didn't go all the way into the spacer tube as it was just too far and I didn't want to "tie" the two pieces together as it would have surely sheared the fitting or worse. I did drill the fitting hole into the spacer though. It is steel. My thought was that it would help to get some grease into the spacer area. In hind sight I would have filled it up manually when it went back over the axle as likely no grease would have gotten in there anyway when it was assembled.
The drilling and inserting of the grease fitting without removal of the drillings will most likely not cause much problem in the housing as there is just so much room in there, but another guy may say to always remove the drillings. Up to you I guess. Call me reckless!
PS: I just replaced the motor on mine. The first one started to smoke big time after a month. New one seems fine. They charged me $200 for the replacement of the dud motor.

sportsman450
02-08-2011, 02:09 PM
The bearings in the rear carrier are they ball or needle bearings ??

ejcycles
02-08-2011, 04:00 PM
They should be caged ball bearings, that are sealed on both sides.

mizke
02-08-2011, 07:45 PM
mine are sealed ball bearings, and if you dont take apart the axle be prepared to pump that grease gun for awhile to go the axle housing filled with grease

sportsman450
02-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Well I drilled and tapped the rear bearing housing today , took a bit of pumping with the grease gun , and ended up pressing the bearing on the sprocket side out (unfortunately I forgot to get a pic of this ) . In order to get the bearing back in position I had to take the grease fitting off press the bearing back in place while expellling excess grease out of the aluminium housing , then when I got the bearing in I replaced the grease fitting , hopefully this will act like a vacuum and keep the bearing from coming out while operating the bike .

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x394/06sportsman450/IMG_0188.jpg the finished job .........

then I was going to drill and tap the rear swing arm but there is one solid bolt going through (nut on one side bolt on the other ) , so I don't think it can be done .....

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x394/06sportsman450/IMG_0190.jpg

if you look in the white circle to the right is the gap between frame and swing arm shiny metal inside the swing arm is either stainless or aluminium either way looks like there isn't enough space to clear the threads of the grease fitting , anyone have any ideas on this ??????

also the swing arm has about 1/8" play from side to side will this affect the chain over time ?????