PDA

View Full Version : Dual Sport Crash: High Fenders are Good!

SpudRider
03-11-2011, 01:28 AM
Check out the following video of a BMW crashing on a gravel road. 8O I don't want a low fender on any of my dual sport motorcycles! ;)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667236

Spud :)

Weldangrind
03-11-2011, 01:58 AM
Nor me. 8O

That's a good reason to never ride a bike with a close fender on gravel.

SpudRider
03-11-2011, 02:05 AM
I agree. ;) In addition, I believe that BMW was poorly designed with the brake line mounted so low routed to the other brake caliper. 8O Once the front fender ripped off, it appears the brake line grabbed a knob on the front tire, and locked up the front wheel. 8O

FastDoc
03-11-2011, 11:49 AM
That breaks my heart. Crashing sucks.

I must be a wimp because I don't think I would have been riding nearly that fast though. :?

SpudRider
03-11-2011, 04:48 PM
That breaks my heart. Crashing sucks.

I must be a wimp because I don't think I would have been riding nearly that fast though. :?
I was reluctant to watch the video; it still makes me wince! :( I frequently ride 55-65 mph on gravel roads. However, after watching that video, I wouldn't want to ride that fellow's BMW over gravel roads at any speed! 8O I now fear low mounted, front fenders, and would never ride with them off road. ;)

FastDoc
03-11-2011, 05:11 PM
On a smooth gravel road I'll do maybe 50. What gets me is where the gravel may be a little deeper and longitudinally ridged by passing cars and farm vehicles. They want to turn the front wheel slightly and I don't like that feeling.

jape
03-11-2011, 05:43 PM
On a smooth gravel road I'll do maybe 50. What gets me is where the gravel may be a little deeper and longitudinally ridged by passing cars and farm vehicles. They want to turn the front wheel slightly and I don't like that feeling.

Most of the roads I ride daily are like that but laterally ridged across the road for miles as well. Makes your fillings fall out and local vehicles last half the usual expected age. There is often a sweet spot you can find to do with frequencies and harmonics and such stuff. It is a real sphincter clencher to get to that fast speed - but once you get up to it , it all smooths out like tarmac! Something near what the vehicles that made the corrugation were travelling with some variation for your tyre size and suspension travel - too fast!

katoranger
03-11-2011, 07:24 PM
I grew up on gravel roads in rural Iowa. It was normal to drive 50-60mph on them. We road street bikes at 30-40mph.

SpudRider
03-11-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't think the accident victim was traveling very fast; the helmet cameras seem to make travel look faster than actual speed. ;) After the fender broke off, the brake line snagged a knob on his front tire, and it locked up the front wheel. 8O I think that particular BMW has a serious design flaw! :?

NFJ79
03-16-2011, 06:44 PM
That looks like it hurt.