PDA

View Full Version : Pics of the 'quiet' tip in the KLX

FastDoc
03-26-2011, 01:14 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/maule/DSC06619.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/maule/DSC06617.jpg

Weldangrind
03-26-2011, 01:26 PM
So, all that does is reduce the area of the exit pipe? It looks to be very well made.

FastDoc
03-26-2011, 06:04 PM
So, all that does is reduce the area of the exit pipe? It looks to be very well made.

It seems to be anodized CNC'ed aluminum. Almost weightless and well made.

It has a short section that sticks into the muffler in addition to the small extention sticking out. It is advertised as not reducing the power at all and it does help a bit with the noise.

SpudRider
04-06-2011, 12:58 AM
That is a very nice looking quiet core, Doc. :) What is the sound rating, and the noise reduction in dB, using that quiet insert?

Spud :)

FastDoc
04-06-2011, 01:05 AM
That is a very nice looking quiet core, Doc. :) What is the sound rating, and the noise reduction in dB, using that quiet insert?

I want to say 92 :D . It seems to reduce the volume from ridiculous to extreme. :roll:

SpudRider
04-06-2011, 01:23 AM

I want to say 92 :D . It seems to reduce the volume from ridiculous to extreme. :roll:
I think the U.S. Forest Service limit is 96 dB. A rating of 92 dB is pretty low for a performance muffer, Doc. ;)

FastDoc
04-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Might be 96 then. It 'sounds' legal...

How is it measured?

I understand there's a phone app to use a phone as a db meter.

Not sure how accurate it is but I'd like to try and see.

SpudRider
04-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Might be 96 then. It 'sounds' legal...

How is it measured?

I understand there's a phone app to use a phone as a db meter.

Not sure how accurate it is but I'd like to try and see.
I don't know exactly, but I'm sure one can google the procedure, Doc. ;) You have to be a certain distance away, at a certain angle, in the lotus position, et cetera. :lol: I'm glad the insert quieted your muffler's bark; I like quiet mufflers. :D