PDA

View Full Version : My Heist the Widow

gardo
04-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Well i posted some stuff on the MCM board but i wanted to share with you guys as well.

I spent the day at PITMotorsLTD in NJ putting the bike together making mods and customizing her
All in all 8 hours of work, definitely a labor of love. but the Bike is ready and was ridden and being delivered on Wed or Thursday this week.

the bike named itself the Widow, it fits the bike. loaded a bunch of stuff on youtube and pics on photobucket.

Let me know what you think

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/drgnriderx/Tha%20Heist/IMG00171-20110402-1956.jpg

just a quick spin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26XzmXZps-U) <-- clicky clicky

Weldangrind
04-03-2011, 04:01 PM
You already know what I think. 8)

It looks like you chopped the rear fender and removed the front. It also looks like you put a new megaphone-style exhaust on it. It looks and sounds great!

gardo
04-03-2011, 05:36 PM
actually the rear fender is still stock till I get around to fabricating a vertical side mount plate/light holder. I actually have a custom bikini fender in the front and the exhaust was modified from the original stock exhaust
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/drgnriderx/Tha%20Heist/100_4049.jpg

FastDoc
04-04-2011, 12:12 AM
Very nice bike. Tasteful mods! :D

2LZ
04-04-2011, 10:42 AM
That things BAD! :twisted: How unbelievably cool! Awesome work! :D

gardo
04-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Here's a better pic
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/drgnriderx/Tha%20Heist/100_4024-1.jpg

2LZ
04-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Ok.... I give. What's in the fake oil bag? :o

Weldangrind
04-04-2011, 09:47 PM
I think that's where the CDI lives. Very clever. :idea:

gardo
04-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Ok.... I give. What's in the fake oil bag? :o

It houses all the electrical and looks good too

All the other vids (http://www.youtube.com/user/drgnriderx?feature=mhum#p/u/1/lGF9-GL4iDg) <-- click there

FastDoc
04-05-2011, 01:15 AM
Is that an emmision control tumor on an otherwise perfectly clean motorcycle? :roll:

Weldangrind
04-05-2011, 09:48 AM
I think you're right, Doc. I hadn't noticed that before.

gardo, I think the good doctor is recommending a smog-ectomy.

gardo
04-05-2011, 01:11 PM

yea its the next thing to go, might just change it to an old school round filter or close it off all together

FastDoc
04-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Fabricate a blocking plate of some sort and toss the entire tumor.

Barnone
04-05-2011, 02:30 PM

yea its the next thing to go, might just change it to an old school round filter or close it off all together
Assuming that NJ does not do motorcycle emission inspections then...
You do not want a filter on the port by the exhaust where the air is injected in by the smog pump (Secondary Air Injection)but a plate like the good doctor suggested.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x85/Skeekah/IMG_0671.jpg
When you remove the pump you also will need a cap like the blue one shown in the photo.

gardo
04-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Gotcha Barnone, i will most likely be messaging you when i screw it up LoL

Barnone
04-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Gardo,
Not much to screw up, Remove the smog pump and save it for later install if needed. Use the gasket for a pattern to made a bocking pate out of 1/8" aluminum plate and get a plastic cap for the port on the intake manifod to avoid a vacuum leak.

This mod does nothing for performance but cleans up the engine area and reduces engine heat. Warning this is an illegal modification so save the parts for reinstall in the future if necessary. I always have misgivings about these type of mods since I do enjoy clean air.

FastDoc
04-06-2011, 12:21 PM
The emmision controls (except cats) are placebos anyways. They do nothing to clean the air. They are there to make the greenies feel better, and to annoy motorheads. Greenines don't like motorheads.

Barnone
04-06-2011, 01:52 PM
I am a greenie and a motorhead. Does that mean I don't like myself?

FastDoc
04-06-2011, 02:22 PM

Not at all.

I'm talking about the more extreme Prius driving tree hugging owl saving variety.

culcune
04-06-2011, 07:49 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote of the day!!

Weldangrind
04-06-2011, 08:17 PM
I once heard a comment from a lumber industry person who was responding to an environmentalist. He said, "If you are against logging, perhaps you'd like to wipe your butt with a spotted owl."

FastDoc
04-06-2011, 08:18 PM
I once heard a comment from a lumber industry person who was responding to an environmentalist. He said, "If you are against logging, perhaps you'd like to wipe your butt with a spotted owl."

LOL!

That's funny right there!

Weldangrind
04-06-2011, 08:23 PM
I took one of the smog devices apart, and I accept the theory behind them. They're designed to draw a bit of fresh air into the exhaust stream to further burn any unburned hydrocarbons, but I'm not sure just how well they work in practice. There is a reed valve that opens as the exhaust stream passes, causing a venturi effect. I believe that the valve is meant to open and close for each exhaust stroke.

I know that several of our fine members are well aware of the theory, but there may be others who'd benefit from this info.

FastDoc
04-06-2011, 08:37 PM
You are correct Weld. :D

The main thing they do is to dilute the HC and CO in the exhaust with fresh air so the percentages look better. The exhaust volume goes up, of course so a lower percentage of a larger amount is essentially the same number.

This is similar to the 'low tar' cigarettes back in the 80's. :?

They used a special 'filter' with holes in it to draw in fresh air with each puff, reducing the percentages of poisons in the smoke. This 'fooled' the testing machines but has no effect on health.

Neither does the smog tumor.

JMHO, although I do know a thing or two about science. :wink:

culcune
04-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Not to add to the debate, and I'm like barnone on this in that I might not like myself :lol: but catalytic converters were once considered a huge bane to the auto industry. However, I remember reading something from one of the mainstream magazines such as Car and Driver or Road and Track who praised the converter as one of the more recent greatest auto related inventions (at the time-this was in the late 80's or 90's). I read their reasoning and had to agree--cars were getting more and more powerful, faster, better handling (although that contributes to cars overall, not engines per se) and they were doing this while helping clean up the air compared to the old-school cars. Fast forward to the new Bugatti with 1000+ hp that is legal even in Kalivornia and that is impressive.

I do think that with time and technology, bikes will catch up. China has banned bikes domestically across the board due to their pollution (most of our chinabikes here are export-only not found in China, as well as the way cool new bike show models shown at China's bike shows), and Europe has decided to clean the air of its 2-stroke terrors as of late (no, not just 2-strokes but bikes across the board) with their Euro-3 or whatever they call it.

I am not suggesting anything political or green vs. not, but this thread and the responses kind of made me think (me, think?) :lol:

gardo
04-07-2011, 11:27 PM
So the bike was delivered today, the guys from PIT tossed me the keys and said take it out when they showed up. They hung out and my wife had them stay for dinner.

All in all a good evening, put about 5 miles on her to show her around.

Now I was shocked I took the bike to a nice 55 and she held it strong without breaking a sweat or reving to high had a lot more power to give.

Will need to take her out over the weekend and put some miles on her
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/drgnriderx/Tha%20Heist/100_4091.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/drgnriderx/Tha%20Heist/100_4092.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/drgnriderx/Tha%20Heist/100_4093.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/drgnriderx/Tha%20Heist/100_4094.jpg

FastDoc
04-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Those are such cool machines!

Congratulations.

Your wife is a very nice lady.

Weldangrind
04-08-2011, 12:40 AM
Thanks for these latest pics; they really show off the details. I really like the twin shock seat suspension. I'm also admiring the mirrors, pleated seat, rear fender struts, front bikini fender, forward controls and chrome valve cover. Even the spoke pattern is striking.

I admit it; I covet your bike. :lol:

fishman10
04-08-2011, 05:36 AM
gardo ,i love your bike ,I have a softtail but i would like to get one of these for running around.Only thing i would change is putting the taillight somewhere else.

Barnone
04-08-2011, 08:37 AM
I wouldn't move the tail light. It needs to be as conspicuous as possible. Those guys who mount it down low off to one side are increasing their chances of getting rear ended.

Motorcycle riders need all the help they can get.

Barnone
04-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Gardo,
Nice looking bike but that little tiny seat is gotta be a ball buster if you ride any distance.
Looks like you copied the Dong Fang muffler but in chrome.

They won't let you in Americade with that loud muffler.

katoranger
04-08-2011, 08:41 AM
The elite taillight is really low. I bought some extra flashing break lights to mount up high.

Weldangrind
04-08-2011, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't move the tail light. It needs to be as conspicuous as possible. Those guys who mount it down low off to one side as increasing their chances of getting rear ended.

Agreed.

I'd use something interesting, like this: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Motorcycle-tail-light-stainless-glass-lens-new-/150564222971?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230e53b7fb

It looks like an early Ford light. 8)

gardo
04-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Gardo,
Nice looking bike but that little tiny seat is gotta be a ball buster if you ride any distance.
Looks like you copied the Dong Fang muffler but in chrome.

They won't let you in Americade with that loud muffler.

Thanks Barnone, the seat is actually padded pretty nice, the pictures do it no justice. Its a speed stitched red leather snake skin that is almost the color of red clay or dragons blood. Will see if my buddy can take some proper pics of her.
The 2 things I loved about the DF250 was the way the pipe looked and the gas tank, I so loved that gas tank. I dig how the DF250 looks.

that pipe is no louder than my brother's Street Bob just meaner :twisted:

gardo
04-09-2011, 12:23 AM
I wouldn't move the tail light. It needs to be as conspicuous as possible. Those guys who mount it down low off to one side as increasing their chances of getting rear ended.

Agreed.

I'd use something interesting, like this: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Motorcycle-tail-light-stainless-glass-lens-new-/150564222971?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230e53b7fb

Thats the one I bought and will be fabricating a vertical side mount Plate and light holder. Also will chop down the rear fender some with a convex curve

Weldangrind
04-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Its a speed stitched red leather snake skin that is almost the color of red clay or dragons blood.

Dragon's blood? That's the most manly colour description I've ever heard. :lol:

We can't use vertical plates here (legally anyway). Your bike happens to look really good with the light on top of the fender. Do you plan to chop it back more than the top of the tire?

Barnone
04-09-2011, 05:21 PM
In some states you can order vertical numbered license plate for the people that want to run a vertical license plate.

gardo
04-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Went out this past weekend and did 70 miles on the bike, took her out for a quick 20 mile spin.
Bike feels great and the ride is nice had her on the highway for a bit kept her at a moderate 60 mph. Taking off on Friday so I can go riding all day with te kid in school and the wife at work I can get lost for a few hours.

hopefully i can get the camera mount figured out and get some ride video online.

Weldangrind
04-11-2011, 10:22 PM
I bought a camera mount meant for 7/8" bars for stupid cheap on eBay. I think it was around $5.00 including shipping from China.

FastDoc
04-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Went out this past weekend and did 70 miles on the bike, took her out for a quick 20 mile spin.
Bike feels great and the ride is nice had her on the highway for a bit kept her at a moderate 60 mph. Taking off on Friday so I can go riding all day with te kid in school and the wife at work I can get lost for a few hours.

hopefully i can get the camera mount figured out and get some ride video online.

Ain't life grand? :D

Looking forward to the pics.

gardo
04-12-2011, 12:10 PM
I bought a camera mount meant for 7/8" bars for stupid cheap on eBay. I think it was around $5.00 including shipping from China.

I have 3 of them and they are supposed to fit 7/8 bars but 2 slip will need a rubber stopper so it'll grab and hold

gardo
04-21-2011, 12:51 PM
New Videos up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AeobM6LMLc

fishman10
04-22-2011, 07:45 PM
gardo what are the main differences in the 2 since you have had them both . the dong fang is $1100 cheaper than the heist is it that much lower grade?

gardo
04-22-2011, 10:55 PM
gardo what are the main differences in the 2 since you have had them both . the dong fang is $1100 cheaper than the heist is it that much lower grade?

The big differences is support,and parts. Also that the heist was legal for me to register and get tagged. There seems to be some grey areas with the DF and that they have lost their registration with the NHTSA back in 2004. I couldnt get any support from the folks i bought the Df from no parts available, couldn't get anyone on the phone. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

So if you are looking to buy a DF make sure that you can get it tagged in your state. Some are worse than others. And make sure that you can handle all issues that may come up on your own.

With my heist from date of purchase to getting the tags was 7 days. with the DF the process took a month and I couldn't reg the bike, so it had to go back and it took another 2 weeks to fight to get my money back.

now as far as ride quality, I found the Heist stock to be better than the stock DF, Barnone did a number of mods and has his DF and its running smooth. After rejetting the carbs and regearing you can get to the ride quality of the stock heist.

I liked the DF it was a bit more gritty and old school Rat look. the Heist has cleaner welds and is a prettier bike. looks more complete.

the noticable differences is
The DF has a slightly larger frame
a rubber slip on wide wire seat
plastic mock oil tank that houses the electronics that the crankcase breathes into
a digi/analog speedo that is set for miles

That extra 1100 pays for the fact that there is quality control on these bikes.You get real support here in the States. and did I mention legal in all 50 states.

PIT Motors LTD does a pre PDI it before it even goes to the dealer which includes a valve, paint and wheel check before it leaves NJ.
Hell i was there when they replaced a tank because of a scratch on it.

I have made a number of cosmetic changes on my heist all relatively inexpensive

Now last friday I did 200mls on my Bike and will be taking it to Americade as well. that will be a 5 hr ride on my Heist. and i am completely confident in my ride.

again I'm a bit bias and love the Heist. Its a quality product and I also know that they will be around next year

SpudRider
04-23-2011, 02:09 AM
How many miles have you put on Tha Heist so far, Gardo?

Spud :)

gardo
04-23-2011, 08:41 AM
I have over 300 miles since April 7th when it was delivered. I'd have more mileage on it if the weather would cooperate. :(

Barnone
04-23-2011, 09:34 AM
A different opinion from a biased DF owner....

Just got back from a visit to the Heist dealer at Fort Myers Beach. He just started handling the Heist. The salesman said the engine was made by Honda.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x85/Skeekah/IMG_07522.jpg

The forward controls are about the same as far as I can see.

The frame on the DF is larger diameter tubing.

The seat on the DF is much superior to the seat on the Heist. Several Heist owners have replaced the seat and springing.

DF speedometer/odometer
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x85/Skeekah/IMG_07542.jpg
The odometer on the Heist is KM while the DF speedometer/odometer is pure MPH/miles.
DF has a trip odometer.

The chain on the Heist is a 420 or 428 while the DF has a 520.

Th Heist does have more spokes per wheel but the DF has plenty.

The Heist has a much quieter muffler which is nice.

After comparing the two bikes and prices, the owner of the shop said he would look into getting the DF to add to his line of bikes. He said he would retail the bikes at the same price since they are so similar but felt the DF would appeal to the old school riders while the Heist would attract the younger rider.

I did not get a test ride because he does not allow test rides but he does rent 50cc scooters so go figure. Anyway, IMHO there does not appear to be much difference one way or the other between the two bike. Some pluses for the Heist and some pluses for the DF. Both China bikes.

I agree that the support appears to be better on the Heist of course depending on your dealer. As far as parts go, I haven't needed any except for my sprocket and jets changes. They both have 167fmm engines so those parts are readily available. Ebay is your friend for the parts. I just can't see these simple bikes needing many parts. You can buy a new carb off Ebay for $40.

I can't believe that PIT does a PDI on the Heist and then disassembles the bike and puts it back in the crate and ships it to he dealer. Isn't the dealer responsible to do the PDI?
The DF comes in a crate and requires installing handlebars, foot controls, battery, adding oil to the engine,gas,etc. No problems with mine for 800 plus miles. Don't buy a drop shipped bike if you are not an experienced motorcycle owner/ mechanic.

I think the difference in the price is because the Heist is sold through a brick and mortar dealer who needs to make a profit to stay in business while the Dong Fang is sold through a drop shipper who offers little or no support.

I've bought five China bikes/UTVs from drop shippers and they all seem to be poor managers of their business. Most don't know a motorcycle from a banjo. If you feel better about having a good dealer then buy the Heist, assuming you have a good dealer.

JTCAndrew
04-23-2011, 09:56 AM

Agreed.

I bought that Light for my Bobber build. It was alot more expensive, I think I paid $39 plus shipping, but definately worth it. This is a quality light and I love the OLD Scool look. Not sure if this has it, becuase I believe it comes in 2 versions.1 has the License plate light underneath. This is a Great choice of taillight. :D