PDA

View Full Version : United Motors

TheSkipper
04-18-2011, 01:58 PM
http://www.orionmotorsports.net/2009-Hyosung-United-Motors-V2S-650-Naked-Tallahassee-FL-762

Thinking about buying this bike, anybody have any knowledge of united motors? I rode one of there dual sports a while back and it was pretty nice.

dmmcd
04-18-2011, 02:10 PM
I think that is way too much money for that bike. Look for a used SV650, they look very similar, have a very similar engine, and IMO the SV is a much better bike. You can get a nice used one for less money than that.

TheSkipper
04-18-2011, 02:17 PM
I'v looked into them, but they dont have the loan value these do. I'm trying to build my credit up. And from the reveiws i'v read they seem to be pretty good bikes.

Barnone
04-18-2011, 02:19 PM
+1 on dmmcd on used Japanese 650 like SV650, Versys,etc. Much better resale when you want to trade. Much better quality, parts availability,etc

dmmcd
04-18-2011, 02:29 PM
I think they are decent, and really haven't heard any specific issues other than general fit and finish quality, but I am partial to the SV... :wink:

FastDoc
04-18-2011, 02:33 PM
My general response to any CB in that price range will always be buy used Japanese vs. new Chinese. Especially since the SV650 is one of the best all around bikes of all time and used ones are plentiful.

katoranger
04-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Its your money. I would prefer to spend $3500 on a Japanese bike, but it may be worthwhile if you can get a loan that will build your credit. Make sure the lender actually reports to the credit reports.

From what I understand the hyosung/um bikes are decent. UM is no longer in business though and that should be a good bargaining point. I would shoot to get it under the $3k mark.

FastDoc
04-18-2011, 03:17 PM
There are 2 or so reviews/comparisons on mortorcycle.com between the SV and the HS. The SV soundly trumps the Korean bike. :cry:

TheSkipper
04-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Been looking for a jap bike that i can actually buy all day, and everyone seems to want top dollar for them. I sent the dealer an email asking for information. maybe ill here from them soon.

Barnone
04-18-2011, 10:06 PM
As mentioned above UM is out of business so don't buy one unless you want to take a big loss.
http://www.scooterdiva.com/blog/?p=987
Why would you buy a new bike from a company that is out of business?

Weldangrind
04-18-2011, 10:19 PM
IIRC, the Hyosung 650 is a Suzuki clone. I bet that they're well made, but that bike is priced too high for me to find out.

Are you firm on a 650? You could buy a nice little 250 Ninja for a decent price these days.

culcune
04-18-2011, 10:37 PM
I would consider one of these, personally, from the loan angle. I can understand what you are saying. Loans are made on certain bikes, for certain reasons, and if you are rebuilding credit, and they won't loan on a used so and so, and this is a bike you really like, then go for it! I have always liked the naked SV Suzuki, and these are pretty much the same thing, for the most part. $3.5k is not a huge amount--pay it off quick and get more bikes--that's the way to do it!!

United Motors is out of business, but Hyosung is still around and ATK will be selling re-branded, assembled in the USA, Hyosung bikes through Harley dealers, so getting parts and repairs will be easy enough.

TheSkipper
04-19-2011, 01:07 PM
As mentioned above UM is out of business so don't buy one unless you want to take a big loss.
http://www.scooterdiva.com/blog/?p=987
Why would you buy a new bike from a company that is out of business?

THe name united motors is no longer arounf but hyosung is still making the bikes and calling them hyosung.

I'v looked into Ninja 250 Weld, they just dont go for what there actually worth in my area. but im looking at one this weekend that i might can get a deal on. And really this is just one the bikes i'd like to get if i end up not liking cbr250r when it comes out. Thats what i really want.

Barnone
04-19-2011, 03:27 PM
But you are buying a United Motors bike. Look what happened to Buell prices when Harley shut them down. Less than 1/2 for a new Buell.

ejcycles
04-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Just some FYI for you guys...

W&G completely incorrect... Hyosung is NOT a Suzuki clone...!!!!!

It's exactly The other way... Hyosung makes The Suzuki SV650... for a Matter of Fact... Hyosung makes a lot of the Suzuki 4-stroke engines and has been making them for years...

Fact: The Suzuki LT160 quad/4-wheeler is made completely by Hyosung. I have done NHTSA Federal VIN check on a LT160 quad in my shop, it comes back as manufactured by Hyosung.

I was a United Motors Dealer, prior to them going going O of B 02/01/2010. I had talked to Hyosung prior to the {UM} demise @ The Indianapolis Dealer Expo in 2007. I couldn't become a Hyosung Dealer unless I dropped UM.

http://www.cool-motorcycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/suzuki-sv650k8.jpg

http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com/img/product/popup/i_GT650.jpg

FastDoc
04-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Just sayin...

The motors on those two bikes don't look the same. Check out the right case cover and water pumps. The exhaust, radiator, wheels and brake pedals look different. The fenders, fairings and mirrors look different. The frames look different.

david3921
04-19-2011, 06:38 PM
If this bike was around me, I would buy it. All of the parts are cheap and available. Yes, it was made by Hyosung. Yes, Hyosung are linked just like Qingqi and Suzuki are. As with China bikes, buying Korean means you better have some mechanical skills. If it's truly a 2009, it may have FI. UM is not out of business, just in the U.S. They still sell in other countries. I've seen these cheaper and as someone said, talk them down because of this.

That pipe is pretty blue for only 7 miles, though.

Weldangrind
04-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Just some FYI for you guys...

W&G completely incorrect... Hyosung is NOT a Suzuki clone...!!!!!

It's exactly The other way... Hyosung makes The Suzuki SV650... for a Matter of Fact... Hyosung makes a lot of the Suzuki 4-stroke engines and has been making them for years...

I've heard those reports before; once from a Hyosung rep at the local bike show. He said that Hyosung has been producing some of the Suzuki engines since '78.

He also said that a chief designer at Suzuki came over to Hyosung to develop the engine that is used in the Aquila 650.

Since I don't have any proof of these things, I'm careful about what I say here.

ejcycles
04-20-2011, 12:34 PM
W&G

I understand this..... No pun was intended.....

If the Quad/4-wheeler completely belonged to the shop I'd put the VIN code up {& pictures} so you could check the NHTSA web site here in the US. I think it's just funny how so many people complain about Off-Branded products when most of the Name Brand products Are Not made in Japan..... and haven't been since 1965.

Weldangrind
04-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Most? Really?

I've used cmsnl.com to decode serial numbers, and I have a couple of old XL frames that were definitely made in Japan. While Honda (and others) have set up shop in other countries (eg Brazil), I've never heard that the minority of their stuff is made in Japan.

2LZ
04-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Very interesting!
I do know that my old mailman rode one of the crotch-rockety looking ones and he had no complaints.

ejcycles
04-21-2011, 11:17 AM
W&G

Well if you talk to & ask most folks here in the USA they think most of The Big 4 stuff is made in Japan... Why you may ask... because it says Made in Japan... LOL

Just like a lot of stuff here... The outside of the Box says Made in the USA... then when you open the box the item inside is in a bag that says Made in _______ the country it was made in... This in my terms just means that the Box was made in the USA and you have no clue where the item in the box was made. I could go on but this would need a tread of it's own.....