PDA

View Full Version : Shes Alive!!!! Shes Alive!!!!! the Zongshen lives again!!!!

nukeman99
05-12-2011, 03:50 AM
Just wanted to give an update to all who were concerned,involved and helped with all my troubles with my 06 Zongshen 250gs. Thanks Fast Doc, for the parts, weldngrind for tech info,...moderator,Spud and anyone i may have missed.
I have recently recieved the stator gasket from Manny down in miami,fl to complete the electrical issues with my 250gs. Soldered the pig tails back on to the new stator and installed the pick up coil, ignition coil and cdi. It fired right up beautiful,...thanks again Doc!
Well so far,..ive rode it about 92 miles with no problems. but here are a few issues ive noticed....
#1 when checking oil, do you screw the oil cap all the way down or just set it on top then re check?
#2 after checking oil i noticed that the dipstick was lose to where it looks like the gears came around an touched it some deforming the rod.. (Ived managed to rebend it so its not touching)
#3 is it possible to remove the oil rod ,eleviating the possibility of further damage and check oil by the sight glass?
#4 what is the adjustment for the clutch? Sometimes its hard (almost impossible) to "pop" it back into neutral once stopping at a light . not to mention a slight "clunk" when shifting into 1st gear.
#5 is it normal to hear the "clunk" when downshifting or approaching a stop?
Sorry about all the questions fellows , but being im not familiar or know what the "characteristics" are on this bike, id like to "fine tune" as close to specs as possible.
Thanks again everyone and i appreciate all your info since being on this site! Bobby ride safe!!!!

david3921
05-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Congradulations on getting th bike going, Nuke. As for the dip stick, do not screw it in to check it. If I had both, I would ditch the stick's rod and just use the site glass. You said it has been bent so I would remove it for fear of it messing with something in there.

The neutral thing? I, for one, do not put in neutral at a light. I want to be able to move right away when the light changes or, more importantly, if I see trouble coming my way. If you want to get it in neutral, however, here's what works for me. Put it in 1st, slowly release the clutch until you feel it grab, pull back in the clutch and you should be able to shift it in neutral. But like I said, it's better to be in gear and ready to go if needed. You'll have to shift into 1st anyway and it won't hurt anything holding the clutch in.

As for the clunk, it way be the revs are too high when you are shifting. Check your engine speed at idle. You may have to adjust it down, Also, a different oil may help with smoother shift. Are you using oil made for motorcycles?

Weldangrind
05-12-2011, 10:10 AM
I agree with everything David said. You can use just the sight glass, but I prefer to have a dipstick as well. Are there marks on it to indicate that it came in contact with something? If not, perhaps it just warped from heat.

Congrats on a successful ride! :D

nukeman99
05-13-2011, 01:40 AM
Thanks David,..Weldngrind!!!!! it was amazing to get her running again..wanted to just give up like Doc did and hand my problems over to someonelse. But i pushed through...Thanks again Doc....you had a hand in this too....if youre reading this.....
NOw I may have misinterpreted about the neutral gear situation. As a rule, i too leave it in 1st when coming to a stop without thinking about it.. But as i had mentioned../ Sometimes its really hard to get it back into neutral though, when i stop for a bit.
I did change the oil in the crankcase with Castrol GTX formulated for motorcycles 10w40 before taking it out the other day. Maybe everything has to wear in as it only has 500 miles on it now?
So i take you ride the same model,..You as well Weldngrind? Is there an initial adjustment to begin with on the cable located at the crankcase?.... , or is it by feel in response? Maybe you can direct me in the right direction......
Weldandgrind.....shes idling around 1150 just before the lights flicker to substantially charge the battery correctly. The dipstick appears to show signs of interference with a gear somehow,.. so thats why i wanted to remove it to prevent any further damage.
But if youre saying that its ok to remove the dipstick so as far as i can still get a correct oil level through the site glass,. ill gladly take your advice...!
Well fellows....thanks again for your advice...im just a little closer to working the kinks out!!
You know now that im thinking about it....i do have another question... Once i run through the gears and get her up to around 55 maybe 60...i can hear the valves kinda ticking or as if the lifters or raising a little cain.
Although its hard to hear anything going down the road besides wind noise,...,,,,I do have a keen ear when it comes to engine sounds.... but IMO, being the rpms are running 55 to 6k at that speed,,.. they probably have a right to make a litle noise.? ? anything up to around 50mph sounds comfortable.... is it me or just thinking too deeply.?
Thanks Bobby...

Weldangrind
05-13-2011, 10:17 AM
No, I don't have a bike like yours, but I have a few Honda or Honda-like engines around, and they're quite similar to yours.

You could change the oil again to synthetic 10W40 and see if that helps the shifting into neutral and the valve noise. Have you adjusted the valves?

When my son's pitbke was new, he had to shut it off before he could find neutral, until it broke in. There should be a clutch cable adjustment at the lever perch and at the engine cover; I shoot for between 1/8" and 1/4" gap of free play at the perch. Lubing the clutch cable might also help.

FastDoc
05-13-2011, 11:54 AM
I am VERY happy you are enjoying the bike! :P

The advise you received above is great I have nothing to add there.

I really wish I would havebeen able to get my ZS250 operational. It seemed like it would have been a comfortable fun bike.

We ae all ready for the pictures, BTW...

nukeman99
05-14-2011, 12:56 AM
Hmmm,..yeah i may decide to change the oil again and see if that takes care of it.
I did try something today though when i started her up./ I shifted into 1st when it was running around 1000 and it went right into gear without hardly a clunk at all.!!! But at that of low rpm the charge light flickers on and off until it warms up to around 1150. Ill try to re-adjust the clutch some and play in the cable and go from there. Was just hoping that someone on here had the same model to see where there cable lock nuts were located in conjunction with the keeper.

So back to the valve noise..... i had actually considered adjusting the valves, but there again...i have no specs to go by on tappet clearance for the intake and ex? I assume the gasket would be in need of replacement if i removed it?
Well thanks for your help Weldandgrind... Fast Doc,...yeah its a fun little bike to ride,...just needs another cruising gear but rides comfortable around 50mph.. Ill get some pics posted if i can figure out how? You would of enjoyed riding it, thats for sure,...
Im just really surprised at all the viewers of this post and no other Zongshen riders here? 8O

nukeman99
05-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Didnt want to forget,. thanks again for your help Doc on the parts...saved me alot of headache and misery! Im sorry you couldnt get yours up and running. What projects are you working on now,...i know youre working on another bike?.. :idea:

FastDoc
05-14-2011, 12:59 AM
I had a service manual for that thing. I must have given it to the guy I sold the bike to. I can call and see if he still has the manual and ask him to check the clearances.

monkeyhead
06-06-2011, 11:27 PM
I ride a zs250gs. over 4500 miles on it and lost the spark last week while i was on a ride. I replaced the plug, cap, and coil with no luck. does this sound like what happened to you? what all had to be replaced to fix it? thanks in advance.