PDA

View Full Version : 150cc engine interchangeable with the 250?

makenzie71
06-15-2011, 10:36 PM
I found a quad just like my HiBird 250, but it's a 150cc. It has a better chassis and brakes, though, so I'm going to swap my 250 into it and vice versa. The motors look identical except the jug seems narrower on the 150. Are the mounts and such in the same place?

Also, what's the power difference between the two? I'll probably not really know until I get into it, but I want to know how capable they are. After I get done swapping I'm going to have to choose between keeping the 150 or the 110.

Even if they are free, four four wheelers is too many for my little home.

Weldangrind
06-16-2011, 01:20 AM
You're in uncharted territory to my knowledge. The only China 150 atv's I'm aware of are GY6 versions, not vertical engines.

I'm hoping for a full report. :D

makenzie71
06-16-2011, 07:49 AM
seems they should be more popular than that. This thing has hydraulic discs up front and one in back, heavy swingarm adjusters, 14.5" shocks up front (no damping, of course), the frame tubing is pretty heavy...even the plastic is pretty fair quality. I'll get pictures of it today.

Weldangrind
06-16-2011, 10:24 AM
I wonder if those are the crummy fake reservoir shocks that are found on an original Beast. If so, check the control arm bushings for excessive wear.

makenzie71
06-16-2011, 10:26 AM
no reservoirs. They're just straight socks. I'm still dumbfounded by those face reservoirs...they were on my HiBird. The reservoirs were actually real...the hydraulic lines were real...the shocks just didn't hold any fluid and they weren't banjo bolts...just bolts...holding the lines on.

makenzie71
06-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Here we go...

http://www.duncandesignsstudio.com/justinsoddprojects/loncin01.jpg

http://www.duncandesignsstudio.com/justinsoddprojects/loncin02.jpg

http://www.duncandesignsstudio.com/justinsoddprojects/loncin03.jpg

http://www.duncandesignsstudio.com/justinsoddprojects/loncin04.jpg

Not in the greatest shape but not too bad, actually.

The engine is labeled "147cc", but when I have them together it looks identical to my HiBird 250 engine. It's a Loncin bike judging by all the Loncin badges on the engine.

What really caught my attention were the disc brakes up front. Of course I like have drums on one end or the other, but it's "fancy" lol. They're all linked to the foot brake on the right side. The handle bar brake operates a mechanical piston on the rear caliper. I'll scrap that, run the rear solely with the peddle and run a handlebar master to hit the front calipers.

As with my 250, the front shocks are a joke...but they won't require as much effort to adapt real shocks to.

The goal is to swap all of my 250 running gear onto this one, and vice versa...the HiBird has too many frame issues and I'm tired of patching it up. After the 150 stuff is in the HiBird, then I'll sell it. I'll probably make all the money back, plus some, that I have in all my quads.

Weldangrind
06-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Good score on the elliptical housing. The rear axle hub on my atv is the worst thing about it.

makenzie71
06-17-2011, 10:31 AM
I bought it for that...almost entirely just for that. I HATE the axle carrier on my HiBird. The metal is too thin and the mount points just bend with any kind of real sport riding. And the bolts just slip in the grooves. This one is much better.

On top of that, the shock is much better. The rear shock on the HiBird is functional, but they mounted the shock on top of the axle carrier, which brings it really close to the frame. It's a really short stroke, and that makes it a bit rough. This Loncin has a 3~4" stroke and about 8" of travel in the rear.

And the frame is just all around very tight. I think, so far, the only things that I don't like about the Loncin over my HiBird are the front brakes (I like mechanical brakes somewhere) and the tank (the HiBird has a steel tank).

makenzie71
06-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Yay I got that fourth pic to load.

makenzie71
06-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Well I was really bummed to find out that the wheels aren't interchangeable...bolt diameter is much larger on the Loncin bike because of the discs...up front, anyway. The rears may swap.

I'm concerned about the upper a-arms on the Loncin, too. They're tight. I don't know if my raptor shocks will fit in them. If not I'll have to tweak them some. I should be able to make it work one way or another.

I also got the motor out. It is dimensionally identical to my 250. Swapping over should be cake. I'm about to pull my 250 out now...I'd bet a nickle it'll roll right over.

makenzie71
06-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Well with about an hour or yanking, tugging, pulling, screwing, wrenching, and cursing i got the 250cc engine swapped into the 150. Ta Da! Hibirdloncin150250 hybrid. I'd post pics but...umm...it looks exactly the same.

Weldangrind
06-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Is there a benefit to swapping the wheels? Are the Loncin tires not as good?

makenzie71
06-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Yeah it's the tires. The Loncin was left to sit in the sun on two flats for a couple years and the tires are cracked where it sat. I was hoping to jsut swap the wheels around, but no dice. It's all good, though...I deal with a local tire shop and get free service there...I just hate going up there with such a complicated swap situation.

I've got a 110, a Loncin, and a HiBird. I want the tires from the Loncin on the 110, the tires from the HiBird on the Loncin, and the tires from the 110 on the HiBird. Then I'm going to sell the HiBird.