PDA

View Full Version : ATV OIL?

kidsquad
05-08-2007, 11:09 PM
The owners manual for my kids quad calls for 10w-40, but I have heard that one should use oil that is marketed for ATV's. Anyone else have any thoughts on this, or can I just by a good quality motor oil at the auto parts store?
Thanks

ejcycles
05-09-2007, 09:23 AM
The owners manual for my kids quad calls for 10w-40, but I have heard that one should use oil that is marketed for ATV's. Anyone else have any thoughts on this, or can I just by a good quality motor oil at the auto parts store?Thanks

The answer is No! You should be using a Motorcycle or ATV oil for this quad. Car/Automotive oil is Not made to lubricate a transmission & wet clutch.

kidsquad
05-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the reply, I suspected as much but am no expert here, so I plan on replacing the factory fill with some Valvoline 10w-40 motorcycle oil I just purchased from NAPA.

liverchip
05-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Yes get the factory oil outta there as soon as possible.

kidsquad
05-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Thanks guys,
I put the new oil in, let the kids ride for about an hour, and found that I had to turn the idle down just a touch. I have a feeling that little 110cc is starting to get broke in?
Trying to follow the manual and not overdo it for the first 10 hrs or so.
Runs like a little bunny though. I think I will replace the gas lines as they look and feel pretty cheap, and maybe stick a shut off in line for the sake of maintenance.