PDA

View Full Version : new issue with zong 250

crossfire
07-02-2011, 12:04 PM
I've been riding my 250gs pretty consistently over the past 2 months. I have not figured out my other issues (See thread "battery? Problems"), but have worked out a reasonable solution. I only ride to work where the bike will sit for 8-10 hours before being started again and it fires up every time.

Now today as I rode to work, I had another issue. Accelerating from a stop light, I went to shift from 2nd to 3rd. It seemed to stick so I tried again. It shifted hard and suddenly I lost a lot of power. The bike still runs, shifts, etc but there's no power behind it. I had about 5 miles of flat open road and couldn't get above 50 MPH. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Weldangrind
07-02-2011, 12:11 PM
My guess is that the clutch is slipping. Have you checked the cable adjustment? Have you lubed the cable?

crossfire
07-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Would that affect the acceleration issue? Forgive me if I sound ignorant, this is my first bike.

makenzie71
07-02-2011, 06:51 PM
A slipping clutch would let the engine speed up bit the bike's speed wouldn't change. The engine is literally slipping past the transmission...no power transfer.

crossfire
07-03-2011, 05:58 PM
ok. after a little google search, that definitely makes sense and sounds like what is happening. however, i have no idea what i'm doing