PDA

View Full Version : Zongshen ZS250GS Difficult starting/running consistantly

furikazashi
07-25-2011, 04:39 PM
So I have a 2006 ZS250GS with 3,052 Miles on it. I've replaced the battery with a duralast and spark plug with an NGK thus far for obvious reasons besides being able to say that is not the issue. There is a semi weak spark on the plug even now but enough to crank on a few tries at most. When I first recieved the bike I was told it was cold natured and difficult to start and that he had cleaned out the carburator. That being said on the way back to my house with the bike it cut out on the road without a hiccup or anything. I was forced to push start it to get it back. When back I found it highly difficult to start the bike and gave up until the morning. That next morning I was able to start it after 3 tries. After that I rode it around for 5-20 minutes at a time several times throughout the day. After a week the bike started sputtering ( i want to say backfire but I'm told I'm incorrect) When driving down the road not decreasing throttle the bike makes a popping sound quite often (it also does this while in neutral anytime above 3,000 (usually 4) rpms. After it sputters out so much the bike stalls to the point where it will not start back up. When left overnight it is able to start again with no issues for a few times before starting back with the same issues. This happened for a week. After the week I was unable to even pop the clutch going 30 mph down a hill (attempting 3 times a day for a month) I took it to a friend to attempt to remedy who told me somehow rust was in the tank and he cleaned it. Which ended up getting in the petcock clogging it, keeping it from giving gas to the carb. He cleaned the filters, tank and I added fresh gas to the tank. That being said I went and picked it up and it started with a single attempt. Got back and all the issues came back within a few days of riding it around with a new issue. Whether I'm driving it around or sitting in neutral the bike i believe is overheating (air cooled I'm told) The fairings aren't to blame since I took them off to check everything out. When hot enough i can feel the heat warm the entire gas tank up (this can't be safe im thinking) Also the heat rises from between the odometers and the tank. I believe it just needs another oil change which it shouldn't but I'm going to do this again anyway so that I can say I took this measure and this is where I am. IF anyone can help me I'd appreciate the assistance and I will reply VERY promptly. I can't seem to find the right people with answers and the shop in town that sold the bike has since closed and the single store that WILL work on it is booked so solid they haven't the time to even have a look. Also I forgot to mention he raised the carburetor jet up i believe he said and gave it more gas and less oil to attempt to quail the popping sound that it is constantly giving (though it hasn't stopped) Thank you very much. If needed You can email me at furikazashi@gmail.com As of this point the bike makes the consistent popping sound while driving , hiccups with the possibility of recovering if toggling the throttle slightly, or dying right there with the inability to turn back over in gear or in neutral and still overheating ( i believe)
Edit: Also I lastly forgot to mention this bike will run slightly bad on account of whomever got a hold of this bike before myself has removed the baffles entirely from the exhaust...I plan on replacing them also.

Weldangrind
07-26-2011, 02:39 AM
Welcome!

I believe that you have two issues. I think that the CDI is failing, and I think that the main jet (and possibly the slow jet0 is too lean. If you take the time to properly jet the carb (once the CDI is replaced), you'll properly match the unbaffled exhaust. If it isn't too loud for you, it can be made to work well.

furikazashi
07-26-2011, 06:36 AM
Thank you kindly sir :) My apologies on the delay, the email notification failed miserably lol just means I'll keep a tighter eye. :) Honestly its not too loud at all I enjoy the sound of it, I just hear from others that with the baffles it should run much smoother. That being said I believe as well it could be the CDI I forgot to mention (sorry for the memory) my friend turned the car ON when i try to jump it once >.> yes. I'm aware that's a big nono lol. Is there a way to test the CDI? I will be looking into how to jet a carburetor also after replying to this. I will be referring to this, it seems to have a good intake on how to set both jets properly : http://www.weeksmotorcycle.com/Carb-jetting.html

Weldangrind
07-26-2011, 01:29 PM
You're welcome. :)

The only way I choose to test a CDI is by installing a replacement CDI; that will quickly tell you the condition of the original. You should have a spare anyway.

I had a quick look at that article, and it seems to have good information. Post any questions you might have here, and we'll do our best.

furikazashi
07-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Just want to make it clear I'm going to change the oil, change the CDI and alter the carb so it isnt running too little oil so it doesnt heat up as much and sputter and rejet the carb