PDA

View Full Version : New Here- with questions

mike
08-25-2006, 06:09 AM
Just bought a pair of Terminator 150 GY's (DB03) I'm guessing they are Sunrays? The MCO says Goldenvale Terminator Inc. (more on the incomplete and cheesy MCO later) but by the looks of them they look to be Sunrays?
http://members.myactv.net/~mikesmowing/100_1956.JPG

Anyways, took both out tonight Blue one ran great but not quite as peppy as the red one but...... the Red one sorta died on me on the home about 6 or 7 mile from the garage. It started out as a miss at above about 4-5k rpms but got worse as I went and started backfiring till it wouldn't run ove 2k or so. It finnaly just shut off like I'd hit the kill switch, I checked all the wiring connections ect that I could in the pitch dark with only a 1aaa keychain flashlight I carry. Tried again nothing, waited about 10 - 15 min and it started but wouldn't run over idle, made it a few 100 yards and it died again and wouldn't start, pushed it for about 10 minutes tried again and it started, this went on and on.... did get about 1 mile where it was down hill and got it to 4th without touching the throttle.
OK it's acting IMHO like it is out of time, how is the timing set on these things? I have no clue on what to expect to see when I pull the side cover to have a looksee. Is the CDI on slots and maybe the screws just weren't tight and it rotated out of time? Is there a CDI for dummies guide around here somewhere? :) Any and all help is appriciated

dlunt
08-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Are you sure it is electrical and isnt't starving for gas?
If you haven't already done these simple things you might want to check.
1. Gas in the tank?
2. Fuel turned on all the way?
3. Pull the line under the petcock and see if gas flows out of the tank.
4. Make sure fuel line to carb isn't kinked.
5. Also have you checked to see if there is any spark? (Be careful how you do this if you just got gas all over the place doing any of the above. :) )

tzrider
08-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Sounds like some trash in the carb pluggin' the main jet.

Beerslayer
08-25-2006, 08:53 PM
I bet tzrider is right. I have had lots of problems with these bikes having trash in the tank that works it's way down into the carb in a short while.

Take the carb off, disasemble and blow it out with high pressure air [don't lose the small parts].

Rinse out the fuel tank and dispose of the fuel in an environmentally responsible manner [such as inhaling it for example].

Put an inline fuel filter in between the tank and the carburetor.

That will probably do it.

mike
08-28-2006, 06:11 AM
It fires up, then dies just like you hit the kill switch. No sputtering ect.. like I'd expect from a fuel problem. And after trying to start it, about 20 kicks worth, the plug is a bit wet with fuel. None the less I did pull the fuel line from the carb and it flowed freely from the tank through the line, and I pulled the plug from the bottom of the carb and it flowed there as well. I didn't pull the carb apart yet though.
The stall IMO just seems too sudden and clean to be fuel.... but I've been wrong before. Here's what I found out when I pulled the side cover off the engine. It's a Fuchuan 161FMJ engine, there was a #cg125 on the CDI and lower down there was a small black round thing with a flat several wire cable coming out of it that was a bit smashed from improper routing but after peeling back a bit of the sleeve covering it wasn't severed just a bit mashed. I didn't find any other loose wires other than the turn signal wire that leads to the turn signal which wasn't working :roll:
So that's where I'm at at this point, I'd really like to know how a CDI works, like if there is a relay in line or a circuit breaker ect... at this point. Because to me it almost seems like that's what is happening, like a circuit breaker is tripping then resetting itself once it cools down....
Mike B

Are you sure it is electrical and isnt't starving for gas?
If you haven't already done these simple things you might want to check.
1. Gas in the tank?
2. Fuel turned on all the way?
3. Pull the line under the petcock and see if gas flows out of the tank.
4. Make sure fuel line to carb isn't kinked.
5. Also have you checked to see if there is any spark? (Be careful how you do this if you just got gas all over the place doing any of the above. :) )

fatboy250
05-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Mike,
How are the DB-03's holding up?

Jason

TheOtherRide
05-08-2007, 11:35 AM
dispose of the fuel in an environmentally responsible manner [such as inhaling it for example].

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

red2003
05-08-2007, 12:38 PM
The CDI is just a brain box that stores a charge and releases it to the coil when a magnet on the fly wheel triggers it. Can't get out of time unless the flywheel has sheared the key which is highly unlikely. I'd bet those smashed wires you have are grounding out on the engine and causing a misfire. OR, replace the spark plug. Definitely sounds elcetrical.

pedez2000
05-09-2007, 10:48 PM
ngk plug check wires. and give us a up date.

do those still have the rotary trannies? how are they.

msRandi
05-10-2007, 11:12 PM
intake valve tight it happens . will run cold?

mike
07-07-2007, 05:38 AM
Well after the red one sat in the back of the garage for the past 11 months I finally got around to working on them..... The blue one quit running after the mishap my wife had on it last labor day.
I pulled the carb on the red one and blew it out, set the needles all the way up on both, put in new NKG plugs, and adjusted the valves. Both start up 1st kick now and run great.
Since I did everything at once I'm not real sure what actually fixed the problems but I'm almost sure it was the valves on the Red one as the were too tight, and I think for the most part it was just old gas and the plug in the blue one.
Since I had to straighten out everything in the front end of the blue one I went ahead and pulled all the turn signals off, and put the wider bars off of the Flywing on it. While I was at it I also yanked the rear cap off of the muffler and cut the baffle off of it and that made a noticable difference.... the throttle response is much better off idle and it pulls stronger through the whole rpm range.

TeamCheap
07-07-2007, 07:54 AM
WOW your initial problem with it running then sputtering and shutting down then starting after sitting a few minutes is just about exactly how mine was running and it ended up being the fuel cap not venting.

Such a simple thing to overlook.

It would get a trickle of fuel but if I took the cap off it just flowed.
I checked/cleaned the cap vents and it's been fine.

Glad to hear you got yours up and running again.