PDA

View Full Version : Been riding chinese motorcycles for three years...

CrazyCarl
05-13-2007, 04:17 AM
Just thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Carl Parker and I just happened to stumble upon this fine web-site as I was fumbling around the internet.

I used to own a 98 Suzuki Bandit 1200S which I rode around the US and Canada. Man, what a good time that was.

I currently live, work and ride in SW China (Sichuan province) and am happy to see a group of devoted Chinese motorcycle riders in the US. I think this list could definitely expand to not just the riders of these bikes in the US/Canada but also in other parts of the world...like China!

We face many of the same problems, except that in China parts and labor are cheap and almost literally around every corner. That aside, life on these little bikes is a totally different experience than on the larger, better designed and built Japanese or European counterparts.

Please don't underestimate these bikes in any way and don't let anyone give you shit for riding them either. I know from personal experience that these bikes can make it through the rivers of Tibet and some of the largest deserts in the world. Fully loaded, they can haul your ass up 5000m (16404ft) passes and work full throttle all day in a -400ft desert basin. Is the maintenance high? Sure is! Can it get you there? Sure can! Will it be easy? Sure won't!

Each year I've been in China I've taken major trips across most of Western China. The last two from 05 and 06 were the longest, in 06 covering over 8300kms in one month on a 150 (Jialing JH-150gy2).

I'm making a mini series out of the past two years riding experiences in China on two different Chinese bikes. I have a teaser of the video called "The Return" which you can find at:

http://www.youtube.com/CrazyCarlVideos

Also, I have a pretty extensive photo gallery if you want to check out Chinese motorcycles in some extremely remote, dangerous and probably never before photographed parts of the world. Not only that but you can see how and where your Chinese counterparts use their rides.

http://ImageEvent.com/comradecarl/moto

Most of the planets population ride bikes like you guys ride, not huge 1200Gs's. The world's riding community is generally pretty poor and very cool. Many of them you could meet on the road and end up sharing a brew or two. If you're already familiar with riding Chinese bikes and have the itch to travel and adventure more you can even come to China, buy a motorcycle, travel all over the place, sell it, then go home for a fraction of the cost of joining a tour! I know people who have done this and even made it into SE Asia.

The limitations of machines are NOT the limitations of our minds.

Saddle Up,
CrazyCarl

ambassador
05-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Welcome Carl,
Very good video, love the Zeppelin soundtrack... There are alot of dedicated China bike riders here, myself included and we always welcome pics, video and stories of rides no matter where your from...

TheOtherRide
05-13-2007, 11:02 AM
WOW! ummm...WOW! Thanks, and Welcome!

Akonababe
05-13-2007, 01:35 PM
4 hours seems to be a typical ride for me, when we go for a real ride. I have my seat all fixed and the ride is great. Also welcome, I do enjoy hearing about the riding in China and other far away places.

justjoe
05-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Awesome Carl!

Welcome

jkomp316
05-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Thats crazy stuff. I figured thats why they built them geared so low, they dont ride on nice paved roads like we do. Your videos are awesome by the way...

ejcycles
05-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi Carl

Welcome to ChinaRiders!! Great vid & pics, There is a guy on the LF200GY Yahoo Group that has 20,000km on a 150GY. Your exactly right, ride & take care of them and the bikes will treat you good, just as anything will.!!

CrazyCarl
05-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks and hello again to everyone. Looks like there are a couple people using these bikes for LD stuff and that's great!

Yeah the roads in the US are definitely built for more high speed travel and these bikes really don't do very well above 50 mph. The brakes probably couldn't reliably stop you going anything faster and the stock tires would always be a worry.

No worries though, that's why we....Slow Ride! Take it easy! ;)

There is one Chinese company, Jialing, that makes a 600CC dual sport, water cooled, DOHC thumper. Should be more capable on the hwys. Not widely available in China yet, I think they're trying to send them to Europe/Aussie first.

If anyone has any interest in intl' moto travel or just wants to drop a line, please don't hesitate.

CrazyC

SamM
05-15-2007, 02:46 AM
Hey Carl,
Very nice video! Welcome to the site. Post often! I'd love to be riding in China.

Sam

AZ200cc
05-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Wow! What a ride. You have seen things others will only dream of.....
That's what it's all about Right?

CrazyCarl
05-20-2007, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah China is pretty dreamy and it shur' can change a person. I know it sounds preachy but I really believe that the more someone challenges themselves and puts themselves in unimaginable places and situations, the stronger someone gets and wiser they become.

If you got an itch, scratch it. Whatever your dream, make it happen. Other people will tell you it's crazy or impossible or too much trouble but if it's your dream, tell them to go fly a kite. Realization of your dreams will spawn a hundred other dreams, in other people, the ones you love and care about.

Change is not the exception, it's the rule. The human spirit is creative, powerful, resilient, adaptable and fully equipped to handle adverse conditions. Use your senses, trust your instincts , think positively and, more importantly, overcome your greatest obstacle: yourself.

It's true you need money to live, but money is NOT living! If you have the fire, you know who you are. Does it burn secretly? Let it grow bright and shine through even your darkest corners! Do you have what it takes to be both illuminated and burned by it's light?

Am I really crazy or is the challenge too great? Before you know it, this will all be swept away!

http://photos.imageevent.com/comradecarl/moto/motolinks/China%20-%20Sichuan%20-%2009.JPG
http://photos.imageevent.com/comradecarl/moto/motolinks/China---Qinghai---08.jpg

Bibit Centum, Bibit Mille!
CrazyCarl

Ferrit
06-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Carl---Welcome to this great forum. I hadn't been in here much as I normally hang out over at ADV rider. I assume you are the same Crazy Carl that is over there.

Just read the trials and tribulations of Beemer boy today. Some tough luck he had on that ride. Glad you were there to help him out. Here is the excellent thread for those interested:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222736

these bikes fill a niche that is sadly ignored by the major manufacturers. Many of us that grew up in the '60s, '70s, or '80s are searching for the road far less traveled and want to uncomplicate our lives. Getting off the interstate and slowing down enough to smell the flowers, now that's living!

As a testament to these bikes I present another thread that has shown surprising interest, the Minimalist Touring Thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201349

katoranger
06-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Those pictures make us understand why they are geared to go 30mph. Looks like a fun place to ride.

Allen

CrazyCarl
06-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Those pictures make us understand why they are geared to go 30mph. Looks like a fun place to ride.

These bikes turn into 50cc at 5000m/asl (+16,000ft) and that just happens to be where all the good ice, snow and wind storms like to hang out year-round!

You mean like screaming and crying in your helmet pushed to the edge of insanity fun? Yeah, that's about right. :D

That said, it is a beautiful place!

CC

katoranger
06-09-2007, 11:01 PM
I took my honda civic up a mtn in colorado got to about 14,000 feet and it would only move in 1st gear. Of course the mud and snow caked in the wheel wells didn't help.

Thanks for those pictures.

Allen

liverchip
06-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Welcome!