PDA

View Full Version : I need help with my 2005 Lifan 250! Clutch problems. :(

JetMech
08-12-2011, 08:17 AM
LONG STORY:

I bought it about two weeks ago from a private seller for $1000 with 6000 miles on it. The first thing I noticed is that it had a lot of trouble going over 75, and refused to reach 85. I figured it was just a quirk of the bike and was willing to accept it since it gets almost 100 miles to the gallon and I really shouldn't speed anyhow. However, over the last couple of weeks it had been straining harder and harder to get to 70. Then last week while I was riding it started revving very high and decelerating like I had put it in neutral. I let off the throttle and at about quarter-throttle it caught and started pulling me again. It wouldn't go past quarter throttle in any gear. After a few days of messing around with it (adjusting the clutch cable back and forth, revving it high in neutral, etc.) it suddenly started working again. So stupidly, I started riding it again. Yesterday while I was riding I ran out of gas about 30 miles prematurely (in hindsight it makes sense since the engine was working way harder to do less) and pushed it a mile or so to a gas station. When I started it, though, and put it into gear, and it switched over fine, but when I let out the clutch it did nothing. It just sat there like it was in neutral. I checked the cable while switching gears to see if it was working properly and it was, it's nice and tight, so i can only conclude it's something with the clutch package itself. So! My question to the experts is this- are there any Yamaha clutches compatible with a Lifan LF250 V-twin? If not, where can I find Lifan parts? Also, how do I know if it really is the whole clutch and not something simple like a sprocket? I don't really know what I'm looking at.

SHORT STORY:

I'm pretty sure my clutch went out for above-stated reasons. Are there yamaha clutches compatible with my model? If not, where do I find Lifan clutches and how do I know the clutch really is bad?

katoranger
08-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Going to let Bruce answer about the yamaha parts. I am not sure, but I believe they would fit.

Are you sure the cable is not too tight?

humanbeing
08-12-2011, 11:09 AM
The Genuine LF parts looks like this: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=12345968965
Comapre it to XV250 by urself :lol:

Weldangrind
08-12-2011, 11:36 AM
I'd look closer at the cable tension also. I shoot for about 1/4" of freeplay gap at the perch.