ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Zongshen 200GY-2 Tank Plastic Mod (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=5995)

SpudRider 08-21-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRider
8O what you doin spud ? :lol: From what has been shown, I like the original still the best.

Your vote is currently in the lead, DR. :lol:

I can always return to the original equipment by ordering new plastic. Since the plastic mounting tab broke off, I would still need to replace the original plastic in any event. Therefore, I decided I might as well experiment a little bit. ;) After all, experimenting is just part of the fun in owning a Chinese motorcycle. :)

Spud :)

Weldangrind 08-21-2009 07:10 PM

Spud, I'm going to need an aftermarket tank option before I can vote. :lol:

AZ200cc 08-22-2009 12:07 AM

http://inlinethumb49.webshots.com/42...500x500Q85.jpg

Maybe a cut but not as much, Kinda squareoff the edges and make it match the sharp edges the rest of the bike has :? How do You like that fine art work? :lol:

Weldangrind 08-22-2009 01:23 AM

That's a good line. Anybody else have photoshop experience that can clean that up a little?

AZ200cc 08-22-2009 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That's a good line. Anybody else have photoshop experience that can clean that up a little?

That cut deep man :lol: My windows paint skills don't cut it do they? :lol:

SpudRider 08-22-2009 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ200cc
Maybe a cut but not as much, Kinda squareoff the edges and make it match the sharp edges the rest of the bike has :? How do You like that fine art work? :lol:

Your art work is very nice, AZ. :) However, your sections won't work, because the mounting tabs at the front of the tank plastic would be cut away, leaving the front of the tank shroud unsupported. :(

AZ200cc 08-22-2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:

Your art work is very nice, AZ. :) However, your sections won't work, because the mounting tabs at the front of the tank plastic would be cut away, leaving the front of the tank shroud unsupported. :(

Ummmm Your cuts are farther back...What's supporting it than? :wink:

Weldangrind 08-22-2009 02:24 AM

Can you fabricate a new pair of mounting tabs? It might take some creativity, but that's nothing new to you.

Weldangrind 08-22-2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't mean any offence. It just looks like you held a paintbrush in your mouth. :lol:

AZ200cc 08-22-2009 02:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't mean any offence. It just looks like you held a paintbrush in your mouth. :lol:

I'mma go cry now :lol:

Jim 08-22-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like factory still.

SpudRider 08-22-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:

Ummmm Your cuts are farther back...What's supporting it than? :wink:

After my cuts the tank plastic is much smaller, weighs less, and has less wind resistance. My current tank plastic is supported by two bolts at the rear of the shroud, and the gas tank itself. Movement in the horizontal plane is further limited by the filler neck of the gas tank, which protrudes through the tank shroud. Movement in the vertical plane is limited by the saddle, and the rider's weight upon the saddle.

If one really wanted, he could make your proposed cuts, and he would probably not encounter any difficulties with shroud support. However, the view from the front of the motorcycle would not be esthetically pleasing without the fake "radiator" present to conceal the "elephant ears" of the flaring, unsupported plastic. ;)

phil 08-22-2009 08:53 PM

im with jim i even like the factory size tires if i could afford them :cry: (but im trying to get that changed)

SpudRider 08-23-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

http://inlinethumb49.webshots.com/42...500x500Q85.jpg

Upon further reflection, I believe your proposed section lines would work, AZ! :)

As you can see below, the mounting tabs on the Zong’s tank shroud are probably located inside your proposed section lines. :)

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/q...lastictabs.jpg

Therefore, one could trim off the lower “ear lobes,” and square off the front of the Zong’s tank plastic. :) However, the front section line would extend slightly forward of your proposed line, to allow the metal “radiator” brackets to mount to the frame. :)

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/q...tenance086.jpg

Personally, I would not modify the tank plastic if I were keeping the metal “radiator” brackets. However, you offer a very nice, valid option, if someone wishes to eliminate the “ear lobes” from the Zong’s tank shroud. :)

P.S. I love your artwork; it reminds me of the French Impressionist School. :lol:

SpudRider 08-23-2009 12:07 AM

Quote:

Can you fabricate a new pair of mounting tabs? It might take some creativity, but that's nothing new to you.

Thank you for the kind words, WG. :) However, it appears that it would not be necessary to fabricate new mounting tabs to accomodate AZ's proposed section lines. :)