ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   SpeedoDRD Installation (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14756)

pepelepua 09-02-2015 08:04 AM

Dear Spud:
I like the dash, its good to know in wich gear you are (I´m 44 and tired of counting gears down hehe) and the engine tempereture, but, there is always a but ...
Sorry maybe you discussed in another thread, but my point is the fuel indicator, the tank includes around 16 liters (4 gallons), in my first route travel the Empy indicator started to blink so I stopped to refuel but it was only possible to put 7,5 liters (2 gallons), so, I became mad when noticed the fuel indicator is so bad >:(.
What about yours?

detours 09-02-2015 08:43 AM

The CSC RX3 has the same issue with the fuel indicator showing empty at half a tank. Zongshen's explanation is that this is intentional and protects the fuel pump. But I think it's too early. Blinking at 1/4 tank would be much better.

pepelepua 09-02-2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detours (Post 191411)
The CSC RX3 has the same issue with the fuel indicator showing empty at half a tank. Zongshen's explanation is that this is intentional and protects the fuel pump. But I think it's too early. Blinking at 1/4 tank would be much better.

Its a pitty, the fuel indicator is almost useless that way !!! and my bike is with a carb :doh: so I have no pump to protect.
We would need an SpeedoDRD for gas indicator too!!! :lol:, talking seriously, maybe it can be done easily with some resistor :hmm:.

SpudRider 09-02-2015 09:56 AM

I always use the trip odometer to tell me when I need fuel. ;) The flashing yellow light is a nice feature which tells me I have used about half a tank of fuel, and I need to start looking for more. :)

I'm sure Zongshen could fix this error, but it is obviously not a high priority to them. I must admit, I'm not worried much about it, either. ;)

Weldangrind 09-02-2015 11:05 AM

What is the configuration of the tank level sender? Is it a float arm? If so, perhaps it could be re-bent to suit a carb bike.

SpudRider 09-02-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 191430)
What is the configuration of the tank level sender? Is it a float arm? If so, perhaps it could be re-bent to suit a carb bike.

Yes, the fuel sensor employs a float arm. :)

pepelepua 09-02-2015 04:51 PM

if the sensor output is a variable resistence as many cars, maybe if we are lucky it would be easy to correct with a resistor in the harmess, I´m planning to change the bulb so I´ll meassure the sensor output at that moment and post the results.

peperino 10-09-2015 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 186049)
Next, I programmed the SpeedoDRD for a negative 11.1% input to the speedometer,

In my tests, speedometer is off by 15% and odometer by 5% compared to a gps.

So if you programmed it for a negative 11% that means that now have a speedo that is 4% faster than a gps and a odometer that is 6% slower ?

SpudRider 10-09-2015 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peperino (Post 194052)
In my tests, speedometer is off by 15% and odometer by 5% compared to a gps.

So if you programmed it for a negative 11% that means that now have a speedo that is 4% faster than a gps and a odometer that is 6% slower ?

Every front tire will yield different results. I installed a Kenda, K270 front tire in size 3.50-18. This tire is different from the stock tire on your motorcycle. ;)

I calibrated the SpeedoDRD with my Garmin GPS; it is very accurate. :tup:

mckayprod 10-10-2015 10:48 PM

I think I'm just going to use my GPS on Iron Butt rides for the mileage accuracy and roughly calculate a 10% optimistic speedo for everyday use. I'm used to that on my scooter. I could always install my old bike calculator, too. These speedometer recalibration strategies are more trouble than I'd care to get into. Thanks for all the R&D.

linuxyeti 03-14-2016 04:08 AM

Hi All

An approximately 10% variation on speedos of all vehicles I've owned, or currently own seems roughly par for the course. According to my GPS, both my Mash & CF650T are ~10%out, but then, so is my Kia Ceed car, and my Ford Transit based motorhome.

On the plus side, using the speedo, I'm far less likely to get a speeding ticket, so keeping my license clean, and my insurance costs as low as I can :tup:

Cheers

Tony

Tranberg 03-14-2016 04:55 AM

I beg to differ. If you know that your speedometer is off, you always ride "10 over" to compensate, and you might get a huge ticket.
When you know that your speedometer is dead-on, you can go exactly 1 MPH less than the threshold for tickets.
Ever since I first installed a bicycle computer on a motorcycle more than 25 years ago, my brain interprets a speed presented as numbers as the actual speed, and a speed indicated by an analog gauge as 10-15% higher than actual.

I do not, under any circumstances want to go slower than the speed limit, and preferably as near to the ticket threshold as possible, since the speed limits where I live are low, getting even lower.

50 MPH speed limit on wide straight roads, with 45 where other roads join, and 37 (60 kph) 1/4 mile before and after roundabouts.
Often snails go 10% less than the speed limit, so it feels like walking would be faster.

Tiger12XC 03-15-2016 10:12 AM

Nice write up Spud I will be doing this to both RX3's this weekend. Parts ordered will be here Thursday.

SpudRider 03-15-2016 10:20 AM

Good for you. :) You are going to enjoy having an accurate speedometer. :tup:

Tiger12XC 03-21-2016 07:17 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks again Spud for all the helpful info and taking the leap!

Installed the SpeedoDRD on both RX3's and took them for a 200 mile spin down and rode the length of Galveston Island and they where spot on using the 10.2% setting you recommended and they where perfect. Purchased the Honda SpeedoDRD and cut off the plug $70 on Amazon they didn't have the Universal but all of the units are the same the only thing that changes are the plugs as far as I can tell. So if you find it cheap get it and cut off the plugs all you need is the four wires Red, Blue, Black, and White. I did not remove the sensor just the plug and pulled it out and down to a position where I could work on it and brought my soldering iron outside. It was windy and cold and would have been much nicer inside on the bench. Each RX3 took about 15 min to complete once I had everything outside and setup.