ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   RX3: Garage Pro Travel Trunk Installation (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14712)

Eco Mouse 10-08-2015 08:15 PM

Might not be that convenient for you, but going to a welding supply store like Air Gas, and asking them if they would sell you piece of Stainless Steel TIG welding wire. They come in many diameters, and you could literally just walk out with a handful to the parking lot and try each one until you get a snug fit.

Then I'd make a couple of small sharp bends just past the plastic hinge barrels and snip off the rest.

If the supply place is jerks, plenty of welding shops that would let you walk off with a short cut-off.

woodlandsprite 10-08-2015 08:46 PM

dammit. I was too efficient. I fixed it with a coathanger - I have some TIG welding wire, but the diameter would have been way too small.

One side of the hinge is actually closed so the wire doesn't pass all the way through. I cut the piece of hanger a bit long, then bent it back on itself until it made a very snug fit with the end of the hinge barrel - it actually kind of bites onto the plastic so it shouldn't rattle itself loose...

Will post photos after I extract them off my phone.

I suspect I should yank it out again and paint it with my rustoelum before sticking it back on there....

woodlandsprite 10-08-2015 09:49 PM

coincidentally, I do not use the tig wire for welding ;) I use it for blocking my knitting ... in case you were wondering :hehe:

Jay In Milpitas 10-09-2015 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 194015)
coincidentally, I do not use the tig wire for welding ;) I use it for blocking my knitting ... in case you were wondering :hehe:

Sprite, learn to weld and you will likely knit much less.
FWIW I have known a number of lady welders. Machinists and jet engine mechanics, too.

SpudRider 10-09-2015 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 194015)

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

:hehe:

Weldangrind 10-09-2015 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 194011)
dammit. I was too efficient. I fixed it with a coathanger - I have some TIG welding wire, but the diameter would have been way too small.

One side of the hinge is actually closed so the wire doesn't pass all the way through. I cut the piece of hanger a bit long, then bent it back on itself until it made a very snug fit with the end of the hinge barrel - it actually kind of bites onto the plastic so it shouldn't rattle itself loose...

Will post photos after I extract them off my phone.

I suspect I should yank it out again and paint it with my rustoelum before sticking it back on there....

Can you drill through the blind hole so that the hanger will pass through? If so, can you use a small diameter screw and nut instead? If so, I'd recommend stainless.

Weldangrind 10-09-2015 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas (Post 194022)
Sprite, learn to weld and you will likely knit much less.
FWIW I have known a number of lady welders. Machinists and jet engine mechanics, too.

And drag racers. For whatever reason, women seem to have superior reflexes at the light.

woodlandsprite 10-09-2015 12:31 PM

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/709/2...f69d947185.jpg

There's the hanger fix - I should be able to dill out the blind hole end - this fix will do for now...I pulled it off and put some rustoleum on it and put it back.

I'm going to need to drag out the drill for another project - the arm for the mechanical counter on my yarn winder broke *sigh* and the replacement arm is not sized right to go over the post on the counter...

When I was younger, I rather enjoyed working in the machine shop ;) and even if I learned how to weld, I'd probably still be knitting - it keeps me sane and directs fidgety energy when I'm just sitting round - you know, in waiting rooms and the like - and at the end of the day when i might be too tired to safely handle dangerous equipment, sticks and string can still provide some mental relief :)

As for why use TIG wire for blocking wires, well...they were more economical ;)

As for the drag racing, I'm still having issues with cornering at speed, so I suspect that would not be a good route for me to persue ;)

Weldangrind 10-09-2015 01:52 PM

That's the nice thing about drag racing; it's in a straight line. :D

woodlandsprite 10-09-2015 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 194076)
That's the nice thing about drag racing; it's in a straight line. :D

Ha! well, that shows what I know about racing ;) which would be absolutely nothing!

I would also still need practice ;) I'm not super fast on the acceleration and shifting - still working on that - luckily so far when I've been out riding, the drivers have just switched lanes to go around me if they find my acceleration speed too slow :P

Weldangrind 10-09-2015 02:11 PM

I'm now wondering if you could insert a hanger without the bend, and then plug the hole with some epoxy.

You have mad picture layout skills, BTW.

woodlandsprite 10-09-2015 02:18 PM

If I had epoxy that would happily bind to whatever plastic the trunk is made of, then yes, I suspect that would be an option :)

As for the picture layout skills, I owe it all to free apps on my phone ;) I could do the layout on my computer in a photo editing program, but smartphones these days have so many photo-sharing apps it makes it much easier to just work within the precanned options :D

Weldangrind 10-09-2015 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 194086)
If I had epoxy that would happily bind to whatever plastic the trunk is made of, then yes, I suspect that would be an option :)

Maybe a blob of silicone would do the trick.

NoVa Rider 10-09-2015 02:49 PM

No more large Garage Pro

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 194003)
Chatting with JC Whitney and they pulled the large trunk due to complaints.

Yes, the JCW site now only lists the small 31 liter version. Too bad!

woodlandsprite 10-09-2015 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 194091)
Maybe a blob of silicone would do the trick.

:) Assuming the tube I have hasn't gone all dry, I could definitely try that out :D thanks for the suggestion!