ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   ATVs (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   High Performance Exhaust (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=10164)

SlipryHippy 10-25-2011 07:33 PM

High Performance Exhaust

Hi im new here!

Im just wondering what kind of exhaust can i get for the Gio T3 200cc Atv. I know theres that performance exhaust from Gio but i want something way better. I dont care how expensive it is or how loud it is (actually i prefer loud) i just want an good exhaust that fits that will greatly improve performance! Thanks

Edit: Another idea if you guys have one would be is there anyway to upgrade the gio performance exhaust. Im sure one of you have done that.

Edit 2: Could anyone post pics of the gio performance exhaust on the Rebel T3 because im wondering if you have to make any modifications for it to fit?

Basically i want the best bang for the buck :wink:

Weldangrind 10-26-2011 02:01 AM

Welcome!

The FMF universal two-stroke muffler that Spud uses on his Zong would likely be a good choice at a fair price. YamaZong XT200GY-2 gets an FMF Turbine Core 2 Spark Arrestor

I tried to modify the Beast performance muffler, and it was more trouble than it was worth. The stock steel muffler from a first generation beast can be easily modified, but it requires a welder.

SpudRider 10-26-2011 11:20 PM

Welcome to these forums, Hippy! We are glad you joined us! :D

I don't know much about your Gio T3. However, I am well familiar with the FMF Universal Spark Arrestor recommend by Weldangrind. ;) This silencer is well built, sounds good, makes good power, and is relatively inexpensive. :) I encourage you to check it out!

Spud :)

SlipryHippy 10-26-2011 11:30 PM

Thanks guys i'll be sure to give it a look! :D

Weldangrind 10-27-2011 01:59 AM

Love your 'Rider pride! :D

SlipryHippy 10-27-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Love your 'Rider pride! :D

Haha Thanks :D

Weldangrind 10-28-2011 01:30 AM

Roughrider games are best enjoyed with a cold Great Western Pilsner. :D

What part of the Province do you live in?

SlipryHippy 10-28-2011 08:53 PM

I live smack down where the Riders play. Too bad theres no Grey Cup this year for them... Theres always next year though!

Do you like em too?

Rider Pride Nation Wide!!!

Weldangrind 10-28-2011 11:14 PM

I just love Saskatchewan. My heritage dates back there. You're from River City? Ever go to Bud's on Broadway?

Sorry to report that I'll be at the Lions game on Saturday. :oops:

Back to your regularly scheduled thread about mufflers. Sorry for the hijack.

SlipryHippy 10-29-2011 12:59 AM

Never been to Buds but i've heard many interesting stories about it. (Not old enough yet but almost there :lol: )

And no problem about the hijacking, it seems everyones doing it nowa'days. Besides i got 4 free posts because of it :D

Weldangrind 10-29-2011 01:58 AM

I haven't been to Bud's in 15 years. It was a lot of fun.

Are you planning on trying the FMF pipe? It's actually a two-stroke muffler, but it's a really good choice for a 200cc four stroke, and it's re-packable. I encourage you to read Spud's post about it.

SlipryHippy 10-29-2011 02:07 PM

Ill most likely give it a go. I read his post and the pipe seems it will be lighter and provide a noticable performance increase.

Will it install easily or will i have to do any welding or alter the pipe?

TCCKSR 10-29-2011 08:11 PM

Hey I was born in SASK. My parents were brillant though and got the hell out of there before I turned 18 months and moved us to the coast.

I go back regularly to remind myself how blessed I am that I live in the Fraser Valley.

BUT I can just imagine my sport quad on a farm in Sask. miles of open fields and tons of fun to be had.

SlipryHippy 10-29-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCCKSR
Hey I was born in SASK. My parents were brillant though and got the hell out of there before I turned 18 months and moved us to the coast.

I go back regularly to remind myself how blessed I am that I live in the Fraser Valley.

BUT I can just imagine my sport quad on a farm in Sask. miles of open fields and tons of fun to be had.

And thats exactly what i do! Never ending prairies...

Weldangrind 10-30-2011 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlipryHippy
Ill most likely give it a go. I read his post and the pipe seems it will be lighter and provide a noticable performance increase.

It looks like the muffler is available in 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" ID inlet, so it would depend upon the OD of your existing pipe. If it is one of those sizes, chances are that no welding would be required.

SpudRider 10-30-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlipryHippy

As usual, Weldangrind has given you superb advice. :) The FMF silencer comes in two sizes, so make sure one of them fits your exhaust header. ;) This FMF silencer also comes with a stainless steel midpipe, which you can easily cut to the desired length. However, the midpipe is fairly straight, so you need a pretty direct line from the silencer's mounting point to the exhaust header. ;) This silencer also includes mounting hardware. :)

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/q...aterpix241.jpg

If you have more questions, please post some photos, and we can try to judge if this FMF silencer will fit your quad. :)

SlipryHippy 11-01-2011 07:13 PM

Some pics of the stock exhaust.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/.../TysAtv005.jpg
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/.../TysAtv004.jpg
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/.../TysAtv003.jpg

Will i be able to alter the shape of the new exhaust if i have to? Thanks

Weldangrind 11-01-2011 07:59 PM

Ugh, the dreaded factory air filter. You're miles ahead with a pod filter, such as a Uni. I bought two of these: 42mm Air Filter Cleaner 250cc ATV Quad Dirt Pit Bike The angle is perfect for my first generation Beast, and the filter quality is quite good. I coat it with Maxima Fab 1 spray oil.

To your question, it's kind of hard to tell, but it looks like the layout is the same as my Beast. The only difference I see is that my Beast has no joint in the middle. Can you show us a pic from a few feet back? I'd like to be able to see the entire muffler, and its relationship to the rear fender.

Weldangrind 11-01-2011 08:01 PM

BTW, the price is certainly right on that filter. $6.99 including shipping. :D

SpudRider 11-01-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

...Can you show us a pic from a few feet back? I'd like to be able to see the entire muffler, and its relationship to the rear fender.

Thanks for posting the photos, Hippy. :) I also would like to see photos of the muffler, and its mounting points. ;) Is the muffler mounted at an angle? I think you might be able to mount the FMF TC2 silencer, but I need to see the entire muffler, without any body shrouds blocking the view. ;)

SlipryHippy 11-01-2011 11:03 PM

I got a high performance air filter on the way, so dont worry :D

Ill post some pics tomorrow...

SlipryHippy 11-02-2011 07:23 PM

Here ya go. I can post anotherone farther away if you want.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...ppy/TysAtv.jpg

Weldangrind 11-02-2011 10:30 PM

That's identical to my stock Beast muffler. Don't expect to gain a lot by swapping it for something else, because it flows pretty good as is. If you install a Mikuni 30mm carb (assuming you don't already have one), jet it properly and install a better air filter, you'll feel an improvement.

I've dissected two Beast mufflers so far, and they're an intelligent design. They're a bit restrictive, but not so much that you'll feel a dramatic improvement; just more sound.

SpudRider 11-02-2011 10:40 PM

Thanks for posting the photo, Hippy. :) Your photos reveal that installing the FMF TC2 would require a bit of extra work. Since your exhaust's midpipe curves through the frame, you would need to cut the midpipe off the stock muffler, just ahead of the canister, and use it to connect the FMF silencer to the exhaust header. Also, it appears your exhaust's midpipe enters the muffler at an angle, which also complicates matters. ;) Is your exhaust system supported only at the muffler itself, and the exhaust header?

Weldangrind 11-02-2011 10:46 PM

You're exactly right, Spud. If you remove the gussets from the muffler, you can clearly see the angle that the pipe is cut on to accomodate the muffler. This is a shot of the angle I had to observe when I welded a new flange onto my pipe:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/DSC05917.jpg

SpudRider 11-02-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

That's identical to my stock Beast muffler. Don't expect to gain a lot by swapping it for something else, because it flows pretty good as is. If you install a Mikuni 30mm carb (assuming you don't already have one), jet it properly and install a better air filter, you'll feel an improvement.

I've dissected two Beast mufflers so far, and they're an intelligent design. They're a bit restrictive, but not so much that you'll feel a dramatic improvement; just more sound.

You posted your reply while I was composing my reply, Weld. ;) I'm glad to hear Hippy's muffler flows well, and he doesn't need to replace it! By keeping the stock muffler he will save the money he would have spent on the FMF TC2, and he also won't need to worry about repacking the FMF silencer. ;) The money saved on the FMF silencer can be better spent on a new carburetor and/or air filter! :D

SlipryHippy 11-03-2011 12:30 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Yes i already have the Mikuni Carb and an air filter is on the way. Do you know if the highperformance exhaust from gio would work ok. Even if it is the same performance it looks wayyyyy better and is veryyyy cheap on the auction. (Around 40 bucks)

http://www.giobikes.com/images/produ....1.auction.jpg

http://www.giobikes.com/Performance-...mance-Exhaust/

Thanks

Weldangrind 11-03-2011 01:54 AM

I assure you that pipe would result in a degradation in performance. I took one apart, and it's much more restrictive than the stocker.

SpudRider 11-03-2011 08:44 AM

I guess in this instance "high performance exhaust" is a misnomer. :roll:

Spud :lol:

Weldangrind 11-03-2011 10:15 AM

SlipryHippy, the real performance answer is to buy a performance exhaust for both the Monster and Beast ATV. Use the head pipe from the Beast and the muffler from the Monster, and you'll have a decent muffler with a spark arrestor. Many of us went that way, but the Monster mufflers don't come up on the Gio site very often anymore.

SlipryHippy 11-03-2011 09:41 PM

Good idea, but by the time i buy both of those i could just get an FMF. Hmmm decitions decitions...

In the high performance beast pipe is there any way to make it less restrictive?

Off topic but do the performance shocks that gio sells, are they any good (worth the money).

Weldangrind 11-03-2011 11:59 PM

The short answer is no, you can't easily make the Beast pipe flow. It just looks pretty.

The Gio shocks topic will bring varied opinions. If you can get 'em for cheap, just enjoy them for what they are. You can get them charged up at bike shops or tire shops with nitrogen for cheap. What do your front shocks look like?

SlipryHippy 11-04-2011 07:03 PM

There just the stock black and white ones. Nothing special.

Weldangrind 11-05-2011 11:02 AM

Got a pic? Not familiar with them.

SlipryHippy 11-05-2011 09:07 PM

Go here. Look at the pics and you can see the shocks. Thanks
http://www.giobikes.com/ATVs-in-Cana...TV--Full-Size/

Weldangrind 11-06-2011 01:10 AM

It looks like they don't have gas reservoirs. Are they decent shocks, or are they pogo sticks? Do they have any adjustability?

SlipryHippy 11-06-2011 01:17 AM

Just an ordinary shock surrounded but a stiff coil. No adjustibility. Have you had any experiance with the performance gio shocks?

Weldangrind 11-06-2011 01:24 AM

Indirectly. TurboT and Jim both bought some. They leaked, but they were a really good price, and they were far better than the stock shocks. The shocks that came with our first generation Beasts were awful.

SlipryHippy 11-06-2011 12:40 PM

Ok, ill pickem up in the spring when they show up on the auction house. Thanks

SlipryHippy 11-10-2011 12:50 PM

Is the exhaust from the Giobeast or T3 Atv similar to any major atv manufactors(Spelling?) like Honda or Can-Am, because i could buy an exhaust for that Atv and put it on mine.

Thanks