ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic/General Discussion (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Bogie's MS661 chainsaw build (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=33674)

bogieboy 01-04-2024 05:19 PM

Bogie's MS661 chainsaw build

So, as mentioned in the what did you buy thread, i picked up a stihl ms661 (90+cc saw) for free with a blown up top end... still waiting for some of the parts to show up, but starting this anyways....piston and jug were trashed, bottom end seems fine... stout saw this is... gonna add pics once i get home from work...

bogieboy 01-04-2024 08:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So, this saw (thank you stihl for overcomplicating a chainsaw with computer technology) came from a tree service and had 1274 sucsessful starts totaling 104 hrs ov operation, with a broken piston and scored cylinder, i aquired it as a box of parts...heres the main body, and the piston...

bogieboy 01-04-2024 08:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am going the route of performance for cheap on this saw, found a clearance piston and cylinder kit thats based off of one of the premier saw porting wizards work, in precast form, instead of a poor imitation of the stock cyl.

When i got it in there were some questionable bits in the transfer intake and the intake port, so i busted out the carbide cutters and die grinder and went to town... here you can see the stock port size vs the ported size... i could habe opened it up a bit more, but i am new to cleaningup/porting cylinders, and dont want to mess it up so mostly just cleaned up the rough castings and mold markings to smooth out flow

Gonna be waiting a week or 2 for the new rubber intake boot to arrive, once thats in, i am gonna swap in a new carb kit and maybe a new fuel line and pulse line as well... then everything goes back together and we make smoke and woodchips!

bogieboy 01-05-2024 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So, threw the ole jug and slug in today and for giggles compression tested... mind you this is with new, unseated rings in a fresh honed bore, not something run in... this saw is gonna be a freaking beast...

Bruces 01-05-2024 06:55 PM

You are going to hurt your arm !

bogieboy 01-05-2024 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruces (Post 403267)
You are going to hurt your arm !

:lmao: if you had ever seen me, you wouldnt say that.... had my coworker try pulling it over, hes 6'2", 185#... he got one thump out of it.... i grab it and pull it over like its a little ms170... im 6'3", 285#, and a lot more muscle than people think i have.... the last place i worked, i garnered the nickname Squatch....

2LZ 01-06-2024 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogieboy (Post 403272)
:lmao: im 6'3", 285#, and a lot more muscle than people think i have.... the last place i worked, i garnered the nickname Squatch....

Holy cow! As I recall, you're quite the guitarist? You must make a Les Paul look like a Uke!

bogieboy 01-15-2024 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 403288)
Holy cow! As I recall, you're quite the guitarist? You must make a Les Paul look like a Uke!

You must be one of the 7 people subscribed to my youtube channel :hehe: i wouldnt say i am quite the guitarist... i have been playing around with guitar for about 25 yearhough, had a few stints in local worship bands as rythym/acoustic, currently just a noodler...LOL

On the MS 661 front, got my intake boot in today, initial run, its snappy.... more so than a stocker, and i hqvent even muffler modded it yet, muffler is all stock so far... need to get a few heat cycles on it, and find some wood to cut...LOL as soon as i can find wood to cut, there *might* be a vid of chips flying (if i remember my tripod LOL)

2LZ 01-16-2024 01:07 AM

Never saw your channel but I recall us chatting about it years ago and posting a few pics of Git-Fiddles. I noodle also but truth be told, I'm a percussionist, who wishes he was out front with you guys!

Been playing lately with a gal here in Volcano. She's quite the talent. Plays guitar and writes all her own tunes. We've decided to go completely acoustic, so she plays her own stuff on a resonator and I use a cajon with roto-toms and a symbol. There are "guitar/bass/drum/vocal bands everywhere here. We wanted to be something completely different for the locals. Time will tell.....

bogieboy 02-01-2024 06:28 PM

I think i can call this build a success.... put a half gallon thru it today at my friends place (pays to know tree guys LOL)

https://youtu.be/L7QQRECF6JQ?si=0sl7zxjRquC9CbIp

cheesy 02-01-2024 06:59 PM

You've used a chainsaw once or twice.

bogieboy 02-01-2024 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 404103)
You've used a chainsaw once or twice.

Once or twice....LOL i am a certified Stihl tech, i would hope i know how to run the dang things...LOL :p

2LZ 02-02-2024 12:43 AM

Sounds like my neighborhood!....minus the friendly fire in the background!

Thumper 02-02-2024 03:43 AM

Oh yeah. That saw will burn through a half gallon pretty quick. :)

I rolled the 250 smoker out for a heat cycle yesterday since we are back in the 60s. Still under 2 hours on the thing. Holy crap what fun! These engines were made to make wood chips and throw dirt! In a good lightweight motorcycle frame, it just wants to jump and it's hard to keep the front tire on the ground!!! :tup:

bogieboy 02-02-2024 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 404112)
Oh yeah. That saw will burn through a half gallon pretty quick. :)

I rolled the 250 smoker out for a heat cycle yesterday since we are back in the 60s. Still under 2 hours on the thing. Holy crap what fun! These engines were made to make wood chips and throw dirt! In a good lightweight motorcycle frame, it just wants to jump and it's hard to keep the front tire on the ground!!! :tup:

Yes, yes it will....LOL

also ran my freshly ported 044 yesterday, its equally as strong.... and equally as thirsty, just goes to show how much more efficient the newer scavenged engines are... the 90cc classed saw vs 70cc classed saw, 90 is a delayed scavenge ( longer transfers to help prevent reversion and charge loss) and the 70 is standard old style short window ported... the 044 also has a chain that was originally cut/sharpened for the 661...so its a bit aggressive....LOL

https://youtu.be/ncQhrsJcB-0?si=kkF5FS0Bm5iWnqcB