ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Ride Reports (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Olegeezer riding for Peru from Colombia (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17943)

FMore2 02-01-2017 08:35 PM

Cool, olegeezer! I plan on making the same trip in August. Medellin to Machu Pichu and back with the wife on two used bikes we plan on buying in Medellin just for the trip. Looking forward to your Ride Report and more pics. Perhaps you could post your route(?)

olegeezer 02-03-2017 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMore2 (Post 242074)
Cool, olegeezer! I plan on making the same trip in August. Medellin to Machu Pichu and back with the wife on two used bikes we plan on buying in Medellin just for the trip. Looking forward to your Ride Report and more pics. Perhaps you could post your route(?)

Cool FMore! I'm headed to Cusco myself hopefully.
I got across the border at Macara. It went smoothly. Just make sure to guard all your paper documents and it will be fine. The only cost so far to cross two borders was that I had to buy one month of insurance to get into Peru. This cost $35 per month. Once I got to Piura, I had a case of Montezuma's revenge going on. I've spent the last three nights in a hotel trying to get over it. I'm hoping to leave today for Olmos? I'll have to see how breakfast sets on my stomach and make a decision from there.
I reconnected with the Peruvian newlyweds that I met in Puyo. They have been helping me as best they can and I appreciate that. Great people they are. I will try to post a Google map of the route for you. It's pretty simple, I basically followed Google maps routing from Medellin to here.. I'm navigating with Google maps and my iPhone.

olegeezer 02-03-2017 06:48 AM

Route Medellin to border

https://goo.gl/maps/KGvytW4j2Yv

FMore2. This was my route thru Colombia if you cut and paste you should see it.
If you haven't booked flights yet and want another option send me a PM.

olegeezer 02-03-2017 07:20 AM

Hotel Cuenca

1 Attachment(s)
I found it strange that most all the hotels supply not one, but two motorcycle boot dryers!!

olegeezer 02-03-2017 10:02 PM

The road from Piura to Jaen

2 Attachment(s)
I like this fence woven out of sticks.
Rice paddies were plentiful in this valley.

FMore2 02-04-2017 11:07 PM

I wish I'd had read your post sooner. I just subscribed so I can get instant notifications to your post. I also wish I had seen your December post sooner because I arrived in Medellin on December 31 to visit my wife who lives about a mile from your starting point. I drove around a few days with her looking to buy an AKT TT250... No luck. Backordered at least 4 months. We're buying 2 used for an August trip. Would've loved to accompany you. I'm sitting in NY on the phone with my wife in Medellin both looking at your route and pics and laughing our asses off. Love the boot dryers. You, my friend, have some serious balls. You may have taken the shortest/quickest route to Ecuador but it must've been DESOLATE! That looks like guerilla country to us.

How's your stomach? Been there many times. I'm investigating the name of the drug you need to clean out those parasites. I'll let you know asap.

FMore2 02-05-2017 12:40 AM

This is what my wife gives me when I get sick in Colombia. Both available without a prescription and inexpensive.

Metronidazol (generic name) is an antibiotic effective against anaerobic bacteria and certain parasites. It is effective for dracunculiasis, giardiasis, trichomoniasis, and amebiasis.

Albendazol (generic) is a medication used for the treatment of a variety of parasitic worm infestations. It is useful for giardiasis, trichuriasis, filariasis, neurocysticercosis, hydatid disease, pinworm disease, and ascariasis, among others. It is taken by mouth

May I suggest a different route on your return to Medellin? I would go by way of Pasto, Popayan, Cali (or Palmira), Tulua. Then you can continue north (and more direct) to Medellin -OR- if you're in no rush to get back to Medellin, divert slightly east to Armenia, el Eje Cafetero (the coffee region), Nevado del Ruiz (a beautiful snow capped volcano... dormant), Manizales, Medellin.

Will you be in Medellin in August?

FMore2 02-05-2017 12:53 AM

I don't have experience with using google maps offline but I just discovered and have been playing with:

- Old smartphone (no sim card, no wifi, totally stand-alone)
- Locus Map Pro. $5.99 for the app, although I have read the LocusMapFree version also works offline.
- BROUTER app. Free app. You need to download this app as well to get the Locus app to work offline.

I've tested it driving around in my car and can vouch for it. Even turn by turn directions work. To my surprise, IT REALLY WORKS! Works so well that I've put my Garmin GPS up for sale on Ebay.

FMore2 02-05-2017 12:56 AM

Do you have the bike's service manual? I emailed the pdf to my cell phones in case I run into any trouble on the road.

olegeezer 02-05-2017 10:26 AM

Maintenance

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMore2 (Post 242347)
Do you have the bike's service manual? I emailed the pdf to my cell phones in case I run into any trouble on the road.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/RX3-Tutorials-s/282.htm
This link to this website is where I'm getting my maintenance info. I do all my own maintenance on all my bikes so I can handle most problems if need be. A flat tire in the middle of nowhere is my concern so I carry stuff with me.
It's been since high school that I've patched a tube 😩
I am going to be in Huanuco in a week to see Toby Shannon of Around the Block Tours. He runs a business selling and renting, maintaining the Chinese 250s.
Mine is running well at 10000km on the clock.

olegeezer 02-05-2017 10:46 AM

La Casona de Chachapoyas hotel

1 Attachment(s)
One thing about life south of the Rio Grande is they hardly ever leave your moto on the street. The sidewalk to get in here was a small step for man and a giant leap for my 18" front wheel. I stalled the first attempt and my hotel hostess ran to fetch me a small board for a ramp. I was relieved as a small group was forming to witness the impending crash and embarrassment!

olegeezer 02-05-2017 02:51 PM

Thanks for tip

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMore2 (Post 242344)
This is what my wife gives me when I get sick in Colombia. Both available without a prescription and inexpensive.

Metronidazol (generic name) is an antibiotic effective against anaerobic bacteria and certain parasites. It is effective for dracunculiasis, giardiasis, trichomoniasis, and amebiasis.

I picked up some today. I'm trying it.

May I suggest a different route on your return to Medellin? I would go by way of Pasto, Popayan, Cali (or Palmira), Tulua. Then you can continue north (and more direct) to Medellin -OR- if you're in no rush to get back to Medellin, divert slightly east to Armenia, el Eje Cafetero (the coffee region), Nevado del Ruiz (a beautiful snow capped volcano... dormant), Manizales, Medellin.

Will you be in Medellin in August?

I don't plan to return to Colombia with the moto. I don't like to backtrack any more than I have to. I'm headed as far south as time permits and then dispose or store the bike for a return in the future.

FMore2 02-05-2017 04:09 PM

:tup: That's me.. Green with envy

FMore2 02-06-2017 03:09 PM

Dispose of or store your bike... I'm curious as to how that's going to work out. Upon entry to all countries doesn't the bike get recorded in your passport?

olegeezer 02-06-2017 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FMore2 (Post 242477)
Dispose of or store your bike... I'm curious as to how that's going to work out. Upon entry to all countries doesn't the bike get recorded in your passport?

You are correct F2! I may have to give it up for parts value?
It is a problem I have to figure out. Another reason to come back.?

I bought gas twice like this today on the scary (for me) road from Chachapoyas to Celendin. It was very twisty and narrow. A one lane road for 240km. I met a truck in a curve and he had to stop and back up for me. Lucky we were both going slow! The very high and steep slopes and no guard rail had me a tad puckered. 😫 The good news, it was all paved. It took me 7 hours.

olegeezer 02-06-2017 06:26 PM

Many mountain vistas in these Andes!

1 Attachment(s)
The views from the top are great.

FMore2 02-06-2017 08:47 PM

Great pics. Especially the horse behind the wicker fence. Jeez... the amount of work that went into that only to have to start over in a year or two after it rots!

The Rx3 is also popular in Chile and Argentina. Perhaps you can sell it there? In Chile it's imported by Derco Motors and I believe it's called RX3. In Argentina it's branded Corven... called Triax Touring 250.

How's your stomach? I remember one medication I had to take for 3 days. The other for 10 days and a follow up pill on the 20th day.
Alcohol is strictly forbidden with Metronidazol. Can be serious/dangerous.

I just returned from picking up my Harley at the dealership. My parked bike had been knocked over and the front wheel driven over by a school bus, bending the fork and causing other misc damage. I left the dealership and a few blocks away I heard a lot of rattling. A few minutes later I drove over the Queensboro bridge into Manhattan then pulled over. The front brake caliper was free floating on the disk and the 2 bolts which hold the caliper to the fork were missing.
Up pulls up a guy with a big Harley decal on the window of his car to offer assistance. It turns out to be an employee of said dealership who happens to have one bolt and pliers. WTF! What are the chances? lol. I almost didn't make it home driving 5 mph to write this message. lol How's that for an adventure?

BlackBike 02-06-2017 10:48 PM

At least your safe and sound. Be careful up there in wild new York city. It's a jungle, as much as South America

FMore2 02-06-2017 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 242525)
At least your safe and sound. Be careful up there in wild new York city. It's a jungle, as much as South America

You're right! As I was standing at the curb I saw about a dozen Amazon women walk past me. I had pulled over right in front of the famous Scores Gentlemen's Club and their shift was about to start. Had I had clarity of mind I would've realized that was a "sign" and would've stayed to warm up and enjoy a beer or two.
C of NY. ♬♪♫ Welcome to the jungle, baby ♬♪♫

BlackBike 02-06-2017 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMore2 (Post 242527)
You're right! As I was standing at the curb I saw about a dozen Amazon women walk past me. I had pulled over right in front of the famous Scores Gentlemen's Club and their shift was about to start. Had I had clarity of mind I would've realized that was a "sign" and would've stayed to warm up and enjoy a beer or two.
C of NY. ♬♪♫ Welcome to the jungle, baby ♬♪♫

Just like South American Montezuma's Revenge, that stuff you catch in the urban jungle will kill ya too:lmao:.

Emerikol 02-07-2017 05:54 AM

New York City?!?! I didn't think anybody went there on purpose...

ben2go 02-07-2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emerikol (Post 242540)
New York City?!?! I didn't think anybody went there on purpose...

:lmao::lmao:

olegeezer 02-07-2017 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMore2 (Post 242502)
Great pics. Especially the horse behind the wicker fence. Jeez... the amount of work that went into that only to have to start over in a year or two after it rots!

The Rx3 is also popular in Chile and Argentina. Perhaps you can sell it there? In Chile it's imported by Derco Motors and I believe it's called RX3. In Argentina it's branded Corven... called Triax Touring 250.

How's your stomach? I remember one medication I had to take for 3 days. The other for 10 days and a follow up pill on the 20th day.
Alcohol is strictly forbidden with Metronidazol. Can be serious/dangerous.

I just returned from picking up my Harley at the dealership. My parked bike had been knocked over and the front wheel driven over by a school bus, bending the fork and causing other misc damage. I left the dealership and a few blocks away I heard a lot of rattling. A few minutes later I drove over the Queensboro bridge into Manhattan then pulled over. The front brake caliper was free floating on the disk and the 2 bolts which hold the caliper to the fork were missing.
Up pulls up a guy with a big Harley decal on the window of his car to offer assistance. It turns out to be an employee of said dealership who happens to have one bolt and pliers. WTF! What are the chances? lol. I almost didn't make it home driving 5 mph to write this message. lol How's that for an adventure?

They sell the RX3 in Peru also, same as my AKT from Colombia.
Yes your Harley story sounds like an adventure to me. Good luck on recovering you loss.
My stomach is still acting up but not enough to stop me at this point.

olegeezer 02-07-2017 10:26 PM

Cajamarca Police

1 Attachment(s)
I like the boots and helmet!

My ride today was only 100km. It was on a new two lane that was as good or better than any curvy road in the US. Yesterday's ride was much more difficult.
Today I came upon two donkeys with metal milk containers , 2 each, saddled up.
They were walking down a curvy road. What was unusual was that there was no human driver near them? I wondered if they were trained to do this alone? I should have stopped for a pic. Another missed opportunity.

olegeezer 02-09-2017 07:30 AM

Huamachuco, Peru

1 Attachment(s)
I love these hats that many of the women wear.
Puts the men to shame!
I'm headed to Pallasca today and the Canyon del Pato tomorrow.
Light rain at the moment and debating putting on rain gear 😂

pistolclass 02-09-2017 05:19 PM

hey do you have a youtube channel? I could have sworn I've seen some vids that look like your pics.

olegeezer 02-11-2017 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolclass (Post 242777)
hey do you have a youtube channel? I could have sworn I've seen some vids that look like your pics.

No sir. I haven't posted any videos this trip but I may soon. I've ridden down to the coast at Trujillo to look for a new rear tire. May have to look in Chimbote as I am going there tomorrow. 12 Feb.

olegeezer 02-11-2017 06:53 PM

Huamachuco-Rulmarca-Huamachuco

I was aiming for a town? Called Pallasca when I made a navigational error (or two). I was on some rough dirt roads and it was raining. As it got later in the day I was very tired and concerned that I would Drop the bike because the roads are so slick. Around 4 PM I decided that I had to find a place to spend the night or I was going to have to sleep on the ground or in any shelter I could find. I came upon a couple of women and asked if there were any hotels nearby. No they said and Pallasca was not an option as I understood them. I bought 6 liters of gas from one lady who used a funnel to put it in the bike from a plastic Coke bottle. The other lady must have felt sorry for me and she told me I could stay at her house. I was relieved and quickly accepted. She agreed to feed me too and I told her I would pay her. I really didn't care what the price was. The small village had a nice square in the centro as most do here. She showed me a room and I think she had a small child and it was her room. They were living in very primitive conditions ( in my opinion). She fixed me a huge plate of rice, papas fritas and fried eggs. I couldn't eat half of it and was a little embarrassed that I had asked for it. In the room where I was eating I had two chickens, two guinea pigs (cui) and two cats at my feet wondering if I was going to eat all that food.

I got into my Motion X gps app and figured out where I was at and my hosts convinced me my best option was to go back to Huamachuco. I asked if someone could lead me out of there in the morning and they arranged it. It was 57 km of slick dirt road but it was much better than the road I came in on.
The next morning I had to wait on my lead guy until 10:40 to leave which put me in the rain again. The host charged me 50 sols and I paid her double. She was very grateful and I went away thinking I should have paid more. It was overall a great (but stressful) experience I will never forget.

olegeezer 02-11-2017 07:02 PM

My new Rulmarca friends/ hosts

1 Attachment(s)
The Peruvian woman on my left is the one who rescued my lost ass!
Kinda hard to pic out the gringo isn't it?

olegeezer 02-11-2017 07:16 PM

Ride from Huamachuco to Trujillo 11Feb

1 Attachment(s)
It was a good ride starting out cold and I layered up pretty good.
As I got closer to the coast and lower in elevation I was forced to layer down.The mountains and terrain continue to amaze me.
I came upon this open hole in the middle of this road (sewer access I believe?)
Thank God I missed it I went back to get the pic. There were no warning markers whatsoever? I can't imagine what that hole would do to any vehicle?
It was 5 ft deep if that would matter.

Azhule 02-11-2017 08:31 PM

Wow, they only wanted to charge you 50 sol (about $15) to stay a night? And you got fed too?

Please keep the stories (and pictures) coming, some of us will never get to see the world unless it's through a picture :hi:

olegeezer 02-12-2017 06:50 PM

Trujillo to Chimbote 12Feb

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azhule (Post 242991)
Wow, they only wanted to charge you 50 sol (about $15) to stay a night? And you got fed too?:hi:

Yep, whata deal!

Today's ride was easy (2 hrs) down the big coastal Panamericano.
I left as early as possible since the power was off at 6am and my fan was no longer useful. I didn't bother with breakfast since it most likely would be cold.
The scenary changed dramatically and the mountains were brown and bare, surrounded by a lot of sand. Pretty none the less.
The harbor held hundreds? of fishing boats.

BlackBike 02-13-2017 12:39 AM

All your pics have been spectacular. Thanks so much for posting, I have been enjoying south America. All of my sixth grade class (1970something) was dedicated to South American social studies. this reminds me of that class.;) talk about remote learning:hehe:

olegeezer 02-13-2017 05:48 PM

Chimbote day2. New rear tire

2 Attachment(s)
The Peruvian newly weds I met back in Ecuador got in touch with a friend in Chimbote and arranged for him to help me find a tire. I appreciated his good work.He lead me to the tire shop and helped me get the new tire and tube.
We took the tire to a nearby shop and had it installed. I bought a Kenda
120/80-17 to replace the stock 130/70-17 CST.
I think it's a Kenda 761 but it was not written on the tire ?
Francisco then let me up a mountain overlooking the bay. Near the top of the mountain was the sanctuary called Iglesias del Cerro de la Juventud.
The view of the city and water was great!
Francisco explained that the White Island protecting the bay was white due a rich covering of bird poop.
We left the mountain for lunch in town. I had cerviche and lomo asado and I rally liked it.

olegeezer 02-13-2017 05:54 PM

The Iglesia on the hill

1 Attachment(s)
Francisco told me that priests were buried under the church in what looked like a cave.

olegeezer 02-16-2017 03:20 PM

Chimbote to Huaraz

1 Attachment(s)
I left Chimbote for the Canyon del Pato. The road was paved all the way to Huaraz. The scenary was great and the pucker factor low. At the top of the canyon I stopped to take a picture of the dam. Before I got back on the bike a caravan of Moto touring people stopped for a photo op . One guy was riding an Africa twin and to my surprise I looked up and saw two couples riding two-up on two big Goldwings. I can't imagine riding on these roads and hitting one of these topes (and there are many of them) and nearly going airborne on a Goldwing?This group had a chase car with a motorcycle trailer, their own cameraman who jumped out and started taking pictures.
The tunnels (36) were fun even though I met big tractor (no trailer). We both stopped and I had to get in the ditch and move around the tractor. We were both going very slow and I guess it was no big deal for the tractor driver.

olegeezer 02-16-2017 03:31 PM

Huaraz to Huallanca

1 Attachment(s)
On the way it was suggested that I go up on a mountain and look at a glacier.(Pastoruri). I turned in to go up the mountain and after about 20 km of dirt road I came to a gate and a park ranger. He informed me that the road down the opposite side of the mountain was blocked with a landslide. This would increase my distance and time considerably but I decided to go up the mountain and see if I could see the glacier. When I got to the top it's about 16,000 feet in elevation there was snow on the road and clouds covered up the glacier. As I returned down The mountain the sky cleared up and the sun came out. I passed several tour buses taking people up to look at the glacier. It would've been a lot easier to have booked a tour bus but Dumas was determined to ride the bike up there, all for not.

olegeezer 02-16-2017 04:08 PM

Tour group

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the Africa Twin chase car, complete with sandwich girls!
It must have been a marketing thing for the Africa Twin?

timcosby 02-16-2017 08:45 PM

chase car and pretty ladies dang thats the life!!!!!

olegeezer 02-18-2017 10:34 AM

Huallanca to Huanuco, Around the Block Tours

2 Attachment(s)
I traveled the "back route" from Huallanca to Huanuco and Toby and Sarah Shannon's B&B. It was 170km and mostly unpaved. Beautiful back country and it took me a while. Toby's shop is going to do a few maintenance checks on the bike, bless it and then I plan to head for Cusco and Machu Picchu.