ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Too Old to Ride? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=23354)

ElkhornRich 04-07-2019 10:44 AM

Too Old to Ride?

Hello to all
Joined your group today. Recently took up dirt bike riding, probably not the smartest thing an over 70, great granddad, could do. (Just take is slow and fall less than those flexible younger guys.) Did years of road riding but it just became boring.
I have a Kawasaki KLX 400, plated, that I've been riding and the local grounds, but just received a Tao Tao DBX1. Figuring to develop better technique with the smaller bike and transfer it to the 400, in due course.
I'm planning to warm the DBX and change the oil right off. Tighten all the bolts and nuts, etc., that appear to need it, keeping the Locktite near at hand, and maybe making some basic mods in the near future.
Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. In the meantime I will be checking out the forum for as much information as I can soak up.

wedooit 04-07-2019 11:04 AM

Not too old

I am getting back into into riding, tired of atvs and the expense. Heck last time i checked i was 63. This is a great site with tons of experience!

Megadan 04-07-2019 02:19 PM

Welcome to the site. While I am probably one of the younger guys here (just hit the "big" 36 lol) I also tend to take it easy and leave the high speed and motocross riding to the guys with undamaged skeletons and joints (Back surgery at 28, 4 knee repairs, one ankle with tendons held by anchors, damaged shoulder muscles/nerves). My doctor has so eloquently described my body as being about 20 years older than I am.

Personally, as much as having a bigger 400cc+ engine is nice for on road riding, I have found that the smaller engine bikes are more enjoyable off road. They are far more forgiving to mistakes like a little too much throttle input, and tend to be much lighter and more manageable.

I wish I could get my 84 year old Grandfather out on a bike!

goat67 04-08-2019 07:20 AM

Welcome Your not to old by me I hope I can be riding that long too.

Emerikol 04-08-2019 08:59 AM

I'm 40, so not quite a spring chicken anymore. I think that motorcycles and everything that goes along with them is more of a mindset than anything else. I like the whole spread of two (and sometimes three) wheeled offerings, except Harleys. I jut think Harleys are over-priced and over-hyped for what you get. I stumbled across this video a few years ago, and I return to watch it every now and again. As for your bike, I think you're on the right track. Lots of attention to detail, and lots of loctite to help keep those details firmly cemented in place. Welcome to the forum, happy riding! -E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRQyEBY5YjQ

JerryHawk250 04-08-2019 09:17 AM

:hi: Welcome Aboard. You're never too old. I'm 61 and have a good friend that is 81 and is still riding every chance he gets.

ElkhornRich 04-08-2019 10:19 AM

Thumbs Up

:tup::tup::tup:,
Thanks to all who wrote and especially for the video, given that videos always make me wanna go out and ride! Planning to get out later today. Looking forward to researching, reading and posting here, and any and all's assist.

kirbo7106 04-08-2019 12:25 PM

Greetings!

Welcome to the forum! I’m a “middle of the road” aged guy. I just turned 50. I can’t imagine not riding some kind of motorcycle. Although, I don’t have that urge to go one thousand miles an hour with my hair on fire (anymore), I still enjoy a “Brisk” cruise from time to time! I too have friends riding well into their 80s!

Enjoy the Ride!

wedooit 04-08-2019 01:35 PM

0mg the video!

Thanks for the video! I need to back up a bit, ok I am 63, started sledding in the 70's, riding bikes, atv's, etc. Drifted away from bikes. Last couple of years have enjoyed the atv's, but we get disgusted with the amount of maintenance that goes into a 7000.00 and upwards, quad. We get to a point, what the heck is going to go wrong next, replaced a starter, needs tires, needs front shaft, etc. They are big and heavy, and cumbersome. Last year stumbled onto what I thought was a heck of a deal on a TTR225. Sure, yup, that needed a bunch of parts. We got way to busy last summer, and for other reasons, not to bore you, didn't get out to ride. However, this year our goal to ride the in the dirt once again. Have to back up again, then almost found a great deal on a KLX140L for my wife, last summer. That didn't materialize, and I guess for destiny reasons. Been reading on this site, again, this year, the tons of info, and should have last year acquired a china bike. 1600.00 delivered, approx. I should have acquired 2, last year, skipped the ttr225, would save in long run, even with parts and mods, and have 2 new bikes! I call myself a dork sometimes.Next couple of weeks will get that accomplished, and have some fun this summer, and experience a throttle sensation. At my age, I have to be more careful with a motorized vehicle, than 30 years ago. Thanks to all that contribute! I and we hope to assist as well.:thanks:

Mudflap 04-08-2019 02:10 PM

Ride occasionally with an 84 year old guy, I'm 65. Gives me hope for a few more years of riding.

I agree on road riding getting boring. I live in an area with enough forest service roads, blm roads, and ATV trails, that I'll never have time enough to explore them all.

wedooit 04-08-2019 03:17 PM

Mudflap, good point, we have tons of forest service and blm trails in SE Idaho, that we would never in a lifetime get to ride them all. I spoke with one of my clients, that is my age that rides a 400, and he says there are some areas already open and ready to ride.I hate to complain about myself, but last year we didn't even get to camp with our camp trailer.

kirbo7106 04-08-2019 06:50 PM

Hey Wedooit - yeah that video was great! In the last few months, I realized I spend way too much time at work. It’s time to play more!

Enjoy the Ride!

Pathfinders 04-08-2019 07:03 PM

Welcome. This site is full great people and information.

Roy

Hellkitty 04-08-2019 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedooit (Post 305251)
Mudflap, good point, we have tons of forest service and blm trails in SE Idaho, that we would never in a lifetime get to ride them all. I spoke with one of my clients, that is my age that rides a 400, and he says there are some areas already open and ready to ride.I hate to complain about myself, but last year we didn't even get to camp with our camp trailer.

A couple of years ago we rented a forest service cabin just east of Idaho City. We rode some awesome trails along some remote parts of the Boise River. I love that area, especially the Sawtooth mountains.

cheesy 04-09-2019 07:32 AM

Welcome aboard.