ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Piston slap???? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=25895)

Plukey 04-10-2020 10:49 AM

Piston slap????

Well, while we progress....it always seems like something else...haven’t been on the bike In a few months ..since it is getting warmer and what’s going on in the world. Spending some time outside with the bike. Question...how loud are these engines? Not sure if it’s my paranoridness But since my recent rebuild the top end soundS louder Than before not a major knock or ping but just Dull clanking. No smoke, no metal in the oil, sounds louder when warm.
-new piston and rings
-new jug 69mm
-new valve seals
-new head gaskets.
2004 Zs200gy-a

roundhouse 04-10-2020 12:33 PM

What oil you using? In the winter I run 10-40 on warm days the motor is slightly louder. Summer I use 15-40 and it quiets it down.

Also notice it a lot more with a pod filter than I did with the ole airbox.

Plukey 04-10-2020 12:48 PM

I just changed it yesterday with 15w40 was all advance had. I should mention that I double checked the valve clearance and 0.005 inTake and 0.006 ex @ 0.003-0.04 intake and 0.005 ex I feel it runs a little hot. I’ve been watching some YouTube videos, the sounds are similar it might be my imagination Since I just did a rebuild basically twice...I definitely don’t want to open it up again.

Mudflap 04-10-2020 01:20 PM

.005" and .006" is a little on the loose side. Won't hurt anything but will make noise.

2LZ 04-10-2020 01:23 PM

I set my CG motors at:

Intake - .05mm
Exhaust - .08mm

I'm not sure what that translates to in inches.

Plukey 04-10-2020 01:41 PM

Well that’s the thing I’ve heard so many different settings...I bought the bike 2nd hand and of course there’s No manual and not many gy-a’s to compare too. After searching online my numbers Do look way to loose no wonder she’s making some noise. .

Megadan 04-10-2020 02:58 PM

You see a lot of numbers, but you have to pay close attention to the number of zero's and if they specify "in" or "mm." There has been quite a few people posting lately with this issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 333427)
I set my CG motors at:

Intake - .05mm
Exhaust - .08mm

.002in Intake and .003in. exhaust

Plukey 04-10-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 333433)
You see a lot of numbers, but you have to pay close attention to the number of zero's and if they specify "in" or "mm." There has been quite a few people posting lately with this issue.

.002in Intake and .003in. exhaust

Yeah, I’m embarrassed to say...I just realized what I did. I knew there was a difference but was inpatient. Just double checked the site and you guys are correct. My feeler gauges don’t start out that low...going to harbor freight after work and buy a set. I’ll post an update.

Megadan 04-10-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plukey (Post 333435)
Yeah, I’m embarrassed to say...I just realized what I did. I knew there was a difference but was inpatient. Just double checked the site and you guys are correct. My feeler gauges don’t start out that low...going to harbor freight after work and buy a set. I’ll post an update.

Hey, no big deal and no harm done. Pretty much everybody on this site has likely made a mistake or two like that before. I know I have lol.

Plukey 04-10-2020 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 333436)
Hey, no big deal and no harm done. Pretty much everybody on this site has likely made a mistake or two like that before. I know I have lol.

Omg...yep just did some re-work and set them correctly, damn...I’m glad I kept at it & not let it go. Hahah can’t believe I missed that decimal. Sounds much Quieter....

Megadan 04-10-2020 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plukey (Post 333450)
Omg...yep just did some re-work and set them correctly, damn...I’m glad I kept at it & not let it go. Hahah can’t believe I missed that decimal. Sounds much Quieter....

Yeah, I bet it does. A nice tick tick instead of a CLACK CLACK!

OneLeggedRider 04-11-2020 08:51 PM

What's up with all the guessing about valve clearance? Even as a young boy (I'm 48 now) and before I went to school the standard was always .003" intake and .004" exhaust. That's what every old mechanic used and it's still a safe bet today on almost any engine. Not too tappy and not too tight.

roundhouse 04-11-2020 09:04 PM

Glad it worked out for ya!

Megadan 04-11-2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider (Post 333592)
What's up with all the guessing about valve clearance? Even as a young boy (I'm 48 now) and before I went to school the standard was always .003" intake and .004" exhaust. That's what every old mechanic used and it's still a safe bet today on almost any engine. Not too tappy and not too tight.

It is the same reason carb cleaning/tuning is seen as a black magic voodoo art form. Most vehicles in the last 20-30 years have been EFI with hydraulic lifters. Motorcycles being the only real exception to that rule. Add to that the fact that most small engines these days are sold as "maintenance free" and you end up with a generation or two that was barely introduced to the concepts, or never had to deal with it at all.

I have had quite a few young guys ask me to show them how to set the valve lash on their Grom or other small bike. Once I show them how it is done, they kind of have a "really, that's it?" look on their face lol.

NzBrakelathes 04-12-2020 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 333427)
I set my CG motors at:

Intake - .05mm
Exhaust - .08mm

2 and 3 thou is fine